Fodor's Travel Talk Forums

Fodor's Travel Talk Forums (https://www.fodors.com/community/)
-   Asia (https://www.fodors.com/community/asia/)
-   -   Luang Prabang length of times and hotels (https://www.fodors.com/community/asia/luang-prabang-length-of-times-and-hotels-290123/)

glorialf Jan 22nd, 2008 02:51 PM

Luang Prabang length of times and hotels

So am now looking are replanning my trip on MY terms which means I want to go to LP. Would six nights be too much if I'm alone?

Is Aspara the best reasonably priced (under $200) hotel or are there better ones. I want to be in the middle of LP-- not on the outskirts since I plan to walk as much as possible.

Craig Jan 22nd, 2008 03:01 PM

6 nights is a lot of time but from what I know of you from this forum, it might not be too much. You can wander for hours around the town - and it is a town - you can walk from one end to the other in 20 minutes. And the surrounding countryside is as beautiful as any place in SE Asia. Trips to the smaller villages, the caves and the waterfalls by boat or car will prove very rewarding and you should definitely plan to do that as well.

Good luck in your planning.

glorialf Jan 22nd, 2008 03:06 PM

Thanks, Craig. I was there in 1992 for a day and a half and it was at the end of a 4 week trip to vietnam and cambodia so I saw virtually nothing and my most vivid memory is the horrid place I stayed -- long since ripped apart-- and the terrible poverty. I know things have changed so am looking to return. forward to returning with all the wonderful comments on this board.

Where did you stay?

Craig Jan 22nd, 2008 04:39 PM

Maison Souvannaphoum - in town but at the edge - great location in my opinion but not right in the center. A little on the pricey side but the staff are the best - very friendly and if you stay there for 6 nights you will really get to know them and perhaps pick up many Lao phrases as well.

Kathie Jan 22nd, 2008 05:06 PM

If I remember correctly, we spent 6 nights in LP. We loved it. It's one of those places that staying a while gives you the opportunity to see it differently than just arriving and seeing the "sites." I felt like it was a place to really soak up the atmosphere.

I'm sure you'll find plenty to interest you.

One of the books I read before going there was Stalking the Elephant Kings. It was one of those books that made me feel like I knew some of the people in LP.

rhkkmk Jan 22nd, 2008 05:17 PM

four would be perfect especially if you have been there before

bob

ekscrunchy Jan 22nd, 2008 06:19 PM

I just spent 5 nights there alone and thought that amount of time was ideal. There are the two basic side trips, to the caves and to the waterfalls, so those eat up time away from town. I loved the PhouVau but it is likely above your price range. There is no problem getting the short distance into town from there..the hotel will take you and pick you up at any time you wish during the day. At night their shuttle runs every hour to and from town; tuks tuks are everywhere and cheap.

Have fun..I loved LP!!

BostonHarbor Jan 22nd, 2008 06:25 PM

Hi glorialf,

I was just in LP a few weeks ago. There is a brand new hotel smack dab in the middle of town about four block from the Villa Santi. (near the night market) It was still under construction so there was only so much we could see, but there was a model room and it looked terrific. I have no idea what the price will be, but you can send them an email and ask. I agree, I loved being right in the middle of town. The Villa Santi is expensive for what it is, but it has a lock on location. Hopefully the competition will work towards visitor's advantage. The new boutique hotel is called Ramayana. I would assume it will be ready for visitors in a couple months. http://www.ramayana-laos.com/

MaryW Jan 22nd, 2008 09:57 PM

I've stayed in LP twice (2005, 2006) first time for 5 nights and the second for 8 as I hadn't had enough of it and loved it both times. We stayed at the 3 Nagas in the old building - I really liked it there although its gone up in price to a level where I'd think twice for that amount. I know FromDC stayed there too in the new section and didn't like it. Very good position though and great food. The Apsara is nice and looks out over the river which is good.

glorialf Jan 23rd, 2008 01:58 AM

BostonHarbor-- thanks for the tip. I just emailed ramayana and their rooms are only $100 -- suites are $150. Website is still under construction so no photos or anything. Can you tell me any more about it?

BostonHarbor Jan 23rd, 2008 04:34 AM

No, can't tell you anything more except that it has a perfect location and it is new. It looks like it is going to be very nice. At $100, how can you lose? New, central---What's not to like?

My sense is that they are going to be the most sold out place in town. It is VERY small, only around 20 rooms or so and (under construction), looked terrific. Ask them when they are opening. I would make a reservation there in a heartbeat.

Femi Jan 23rd, 2008 06:06 AM

I was there alone for four nights Gloria and for me it seemed just right. It was really six days since I arrived early in the morning and left in the late afternoon.

Most of my tours lasted half a day, so I could relax and walk around the other half. I was also feeling a little under the weather so I stayed in the hotel more than I usually would (not sure if it would have been too much time if I were my normal self).

I looked at a couple of the hotels while I was there, but since I didn't have the discipline to take notes, I promptly forgot the details. Try visiting tripadvisor.

Welcome back EKskrunchy!

epsteisr Jan 23rd, 2008 06:21 AM

We were in LP in September for three nights at La Residence Phou Vao. We absolutely love La Residence and would recommend it highly. I think four to five nights would be perfect.

FromDC Jan 23rd, 2008 08:27 AM

We stayed in LP for 3 nights and it wasn't long enough. We booked one of the larger rooms at 3 Nagas. The location was fantastic. But our room was in direct line of the exhaust fan from the kitchen and the smell in the room was awful, almost constant. I thought the hotel was pretty basic and very overpriced when we were there more than 2 years ago. Likely I would have felt differently with another room.

ekscrunchy Jan 23rd, 2008 07:38 PM

Thanks, Femi. I am actually not home but in Hoi An, where it is teeming buckets and buckets!!! In 8 days I have seen sun for about one hour and that was the first day I arrived here in Hoi An. Hanoi and Halong Bay..cloudy, misty and drizzly so if you are headed this way, plan accordingly.

Apart from the weather, I am enjoying immensely. But I want to comment on the Ramayana in LP, for whatever this is worth.

I was talking with a local resident in LP (an interesting French guy who is a jeweler..his shop is Naga Creations on the main street and he can make anything custom from a large stock of stones; his name is Fabrice). I had long talks with him on my several visits to his LP shop waiting for him to make a necklace from red coral I had purchased in BKK Chinatown for a few dollars. We spoke about the changes coming to LP and the money pouring into town, mostly by foreign investors. He used as an example a new hotel being built with "Chinese money" (Chinese husband of a Lao woman) where the people did not care about the place and were just buying up land and slapping up a hotel and were hiring staff that were apathetic, etc etc. He went into a lot of detail but the upshot of this is that the hotel is the Ramayana. I have no idea how all this would affect one's stay there but I would just take it all as a caveat when planning a trip....

Anyway...back to Yaly's Tailor (the large outlet near the Life Resort where I am staying..for another fitting!!!!)

glorialf Jan 24th, 2008 06:19 AM

Hmm== the manager of Ramayana has been very responsive to my emails and the photos of the place look great. Any other suggestions? I really want to be in the middle of the city --don't like being on the outskirts ever. I'm thinking I'll make a reservation at Ramayana and see how reviews come in but maybe I should also book a back up place. Aspara?

globalvhc Jan 24th, 2008 06:38 AM

LP is HIGHLY RECOMMENDED based upon my trip there in October. BTW, I stayed one night (reserved for two) at the overpriced Maison Souvannphoum and CHECKED OUT after one due to the mold in the bathroom and lack of hot water!!! There are many very nice and comfortable places that are far less expensive, and sadly many more cropping up all 'round. Very clean and comfortable guest houses range from $20 to $80 and there was occupancy available on the spot at most (unfortunately none list on the major US booking sites). I agree that 5 days or so is about right for a great LP experience. Be sure to go to 3 Elephants and 3 Nagas for a meal or two---and the 3 Elephants one day cooking school is GREAT---starts with an extensive market tour where you learn all about the ingredients and continues through a plethora of yummy dishes you enjoy through dinner! Beer Lao at $.80 is among the best in the world. Take in both the dawn alms in town and the sunset at the top of the hill. Across the way you'll see another large golden dome at a neighboring moutain--rent a tuk tuk and go, it is quite beautiful and being renovated by the nuns and young monks across town. Above all, enjoy the serene and beautiful mindfulness of Laos and the Lao people. After an 8 1/2 week tour of Asia last fall, Laos was the best!!!

glorialf Jan 24th, 2008 07:26 AM

globalvhc-- where did you end up staying?

lcuy Jan 24th, 2008 11:49 AM

I was curious and just got the following response to an email wondering when the Ramayana would open:

Dear Ms. Lcuy

Thank you for your interest in our hotel.

Our hotel is already open since a few months.

Rates will be 70 USD for a deluxe room and 120 USD for a suite room.
All rates are per night and including breakfast.

Sincerely,

Jeroen Bekebrede
Hotel Manager

Ramayana Boutiqe Hotel & Spa
Tel: +856 71 260600
Fax: +856 7120601
www.ramayana-laos.com
[email protected]

glorialf Jan 24th, 2008 12:02 PM

Ramayana also sent me a photo of the building and one of the suite and one of the rooms which look lovely.
The prices were higher though which could be because I was asking for rates for next November/December.