Fodor's Travel Talk Forums

Fodor's Travel Talk Forums (https://www.fodors.com/community/)
-   Asia (https://www.fodors.com/community/asia/)
-   -   LP or Bali, or both? (https://www.fodors.com/community/asia/lp-or-bali-or-both-575881/)

cruisinred Dec 12th, 2005 01:16 PM

LP or Bali, or both?

I know I am trying to pack too much into a 2 week trip....but there is so much to see!
So, that being said, we are planning on going to BKK, SR (2 days) and then on Bali.

The question is, from those of you have been to both Bali and LP, would you add LP as a destination, or add more time to Bali?
We are currently planning on spending 2 days in LP and 4-5 days in Bali/Ubud (I have been before). But now I am wondering if we should ditch the plans for LP and add the 2 days to Bali?

laurieco Dec 12th, 2005 01:41 PM

This is a hard one because LP is changing fast according to those who have been there recently. When I was there a few years ago, it was still rather quiet but apperently it's become the hot, new place to go so you may want to see it now before it changes too much (although I suspect the wats will still be there at a later date).

On the other hand, you're tending to do what I did in Malaysia and trying to see everything, with 2 nights here and three nights there. I lived to regret that, having felt like I saw more airports than anything. So, I guess I would say to ditch LP for this trip and stay in Bali if you have your heart set on going back there.

Kathie Dec 12th, 2005 01:57 PM

I agree that you are trying to do too much. Three locations is maximum, I think, for two weeks on the ground. Remember that you've opted for Bali which is also a longer flight than places in mainlaind SEA. While I loved LP, I'd encourage you to stick with three places.

The other option is to skip Bali since you've been before. BKK, SR and LP in two weeks is very do-able. You'd be able to spend more time in each location.

I would NOT add in LP and try for four locations in two weeks.

rhkkmk Dec 12th, 2005 02:57 PM

i would second kathie's plan...much more doable at a good pace....4 days in bali does not seem like long enough anyways...especially with a 5 hour plane ride each way and the cost of it...

getting the hotel in LP is an issue at certain times so before you change everything check on this...

KimJapan Dec 12th, 2005 04:06 PM

I'd pick one or the other...4 days in Bali would frustrate me since I'd want to stay longer. Moving every couple of days would frustrate me too...I like to settle in a bit. With 14 nights, I might do
3 BKK
4 SR (to give ample time including flying days)
3 LP
4 BKK

If you really want to return to Bali, which I totally and completely understand, I might do
2 BKK
3 SR
7 Bali
2 BKK
or
14 Bali - this might be my first choice if Bali is included at all.

hobbes Dec 12th, 2005 04:41 PM

I'd do one or the other. With this itinerary, unless you are Bali junkies (!) I'd do LP. It works well in terms of distances. In that case I'd add a day to Sr and make it 3 days - 2 is VERY hectic. If you really want to do Bali assuming u mean beach and Ubud I'd say 5 days minimum.

rhkkmk Dec 12th, 2005 05:37 PM

i think kim has two great suggestions but i favor the first one...

cruisinred Dec 13th, 2005 07:23 AM

Thanks for the sensible suggestions.
At this point I might add another day to Bali (making it 5 nights)and not drop LP.I will sign any necessary disclaimers that I would be doing this jam-packed itinerary against the better judgement of some of Fodors most esteemed Asia-board members.

I don't think we will be back to Asia for almost 2 years after this trip (doing Africa in '07)...and I do want to see a lot.