"Loy Krathong" in Thailand Nov 26th

Apr 13th, 2004, 02:02 AM
Original Poster

"Loy Krathong" in Thailand Nov 26th

As today is "Sonkran" (Thai new Year) it reminds me for anyone planning travel to Thailand in November that is it well worth remembering Nov 26th is "Loy Krathong", this is the festival where literally 50million+(I do not exagerate) candles and flowers adorn the rivers, lakes and sea of Thailand. The sight is amazing certainly from any River View Room in Bangkok or places such as Chiang Mai.
So if you are traveling at that time it is without doubt one of the highlights of the year and certainly worth working your plans around.

Apr 13th, 2004, 02:13 AM

Spot on James! When am I going to have the pleasure of buying you a beer in Chiangmai?

We are just back from The Pub Staff Songkran Party! It is considered a great honour to be invited. The dogs went with us; they had their own invites.

We stepped out of the Discovery to be attacked by two of the Barmaids wielding water cannons with a firepower that the Israelis would like to have! After that, it got seriously wet!

Great fun for all concerned, though Seiko, our smaller dog, had her doubts about it! Maybe I should mention that our temperatures are over 40?! There was a third dog there, a miniature something or other, our two looked at it, decided that it wasn?t a dog and ignored it!

Some very aggressive water fights with passer-bys! Maybe if Germany and the United Kingdom had celebrated Songkran we mighthave been spared two World Wars!
Apr 13th, 2004, 04:13 AM
Original Poster

We are down at Jomtien at the moment at 'brother-in-law's' condo. I try and hide but can't get away with it! Got drenched of course. Should be up in CM in a few weeks, next few days looking at houses past Jomtien towards Sattahip, deffinately 'getting out of town' as long as I can get decent ADSL lines sorted. Crunch came a few weeks back some guy decided one of our dogs would prefer to have his face re-arranged for having the cheek to puts it's nose through the garden fence and 'woof', anyway blind in one eye, day and night tendering the poor one, try explaining that to kids! They wouldn't sleep without him on their bed for weeks. Hoping to find somewhere with a huge garden and 'no' neighbours!!!(!?XVC?!)

I hear the road toll is running at 161/9,500 at the moment, wonder if anyone is doing bets!?
Apr 13th, 2004, 10:18 PM

Dreadful about your dog James, we have two and I know how we would react to one of them being injured.

The centre of Chiangmai is a total battlefield at the moment, a good place to stay away from. Every other car on the road has Bangkok plates on it. We went to a small party yesterday afternoon and got drenched ? but our Golden Retriever loves it!

Today?s Bangkok Post has the road toll for April 9 to 12, as 228/13,734 and Songkran hadn?t even officially started by then.

Drive safely and let me know when you are heading this way.
Apr 14th, 2004, 02:58 AM

todays mission too go too one of the 200 7-11 in my neigherbhood, did not go well.. I was ambushed at the entrence by a bunch of kids with buckets of water. but at least I got some shots off with my air powered water gun...

the year was the fist time I've gone too Khao san for the water fights and it has too be one of the top parties of the world..
Apr 14th, 2004, 02:45 PM

Are the Loy Krathong festivities only on November 26 or do they extend over a series of days?
Thanks mucho!
Apr 14th, 2004, 07:57 PM

one day, one or two days for a fest is quite enought.

de nada.