Fodor's Travel Talk Forums

Fodor's Travel Talk Forums (https://www.fodors.com/community/)
-   Asia (https://www.fodors.com/community/asia/)
-   -   Lowest airfare to BKK from US? (https://www.fodors.com/community/asia/lowest-airfare-to-bkk-from-us-398561/)

Kwoo Feb 12th, 2004 04:18 PM

Lowest airfare to BKK from US?

Hello,
We are hoping to go to Thailand in June. Does anyone know what the lowest airfare would be from Boston, MA to BKK and then to Koh Samui? My husband found a fare of $1200 from Boston to BKK, and $1500 from Boston to Koh Samui. This seems high to me. What are chances of anything lower?

Also, the Tropicana in Koh Tao and Ko Pha Ngan was recommended to us for lodging. Does anyone know anything about this place?

We were initially thinking of going to Koh Samui but my husband just returned from China where he met a couple who highly recommended Koh Tao and Ko Pha Ngan. They thought Ko Samue was too built up. Even though they don't dive (we don't, either) they really enjoyed Koh Tao. I'd love to hear other people's opinions on these 2 islands.

Thank you for any help/advice.

rhkkmk Feb 12th, 2004 05:52 PM

you can't beat my price from boston in may of $41.90....sorry that is the taxes we paid on our FF mileage for this trip..more below

rhkkmk Feb 12th, 2004 05:59 PM

there have been quite a few posts recently on travelocity for about $585-735....are you registered on their website to receive e-mails when the fare goes down?? register for their farewatcher service...its great...you have to jump on it quick however....try some of the other places as well...we fly northwest and find them the easiest from boston...this will be our 6th trip...

as for koh samui, we are going there on this trip and bangkok air is the only one currently flying there and the fare r.t. from bkk is about $178....jamesa on this forum advises that there are new low cost airlines coming but who knows if they will go to samui???

take a look at the peace bungalows...that is where we are staying on james' suggestion....
i do not know the other places you are asking about....

book your trans pacific soon as flights fill up quickly especially from japan to bkk, which is a common stop place from the usa...

i'll put in my usual plug here for the marriott resort and spa in bkk....we think it is the best all around hotel in bkk....don't know your budget but this is about $100...

where do you live, we are in needham

rhkkmk Feb 12th, 2004 06:03 PM

another suggestions which sometimes help reduce overall fares it to look at a limited package from the airlines, i.e. northwest world vacations, united packages or continental, plus cathy pacific and of course thai air....they have packages with just airfare, plus a few nites hotels, plus a 1/2 day sightseeing, with the chance to extend on your own....i did it my first time to bkk and it worked well.....
also pacific delight tours have great values...they are on the net and are located in nyc

artisland Feb 12th, 2004 06:16 PM

May I add my 2 cents about Koh Tao for non-divers? I think if it is solitude and quiet you are seeking, then go for it. I found the place boring. I dont really understand seeking solitude so far from home..especially since the thai people and culture is so endearing. If you want solitude, go to New Zealand where the scenery is your companion. Koh Tao is just a bunch of boulders. I did enjoy though walking through a swarm of yellow butterflies..but you can do that in Kansas.

orgy7 Feb 12th, 2004 06:18 PM

try china airlines or EVA... with the 1200 you can get a econamy deluxe seat on EVA.

how long will ya be staying for..

brotherleelove2004 Feb 12th, 2004 10:09 PM

Try www.novatravel.com. They deal with all the major airlines that fly to BKK and found me a great price on a ticket last time I went.

Kwoo Feb 13th, 2004 05:26 AM

I want to thank everyone for all your helpful information. I will try all your suggestions and let you know what we find out.
To rhkkmk, we live in Upton, next to Hopkinton.
To orgy7, we were initially planning on spending one week in Thailand but now we are thinking of skipping Shanghai (we've been there before) and meeting our daughter (who lives in Shanghai) in Bangkok. That way we should have 2 weeks.

orgy7 Feb 13th, 2004 07:30 AM

If your only there for 2 weeks. then you should not spend more then $800. on a budget airfare. (restiction jamed)

If you get a consolidators ticket threw NOVA. ask if you will get FF miles on the flight or not.. if you don't get FF miles. who cares. one usually saves more on the bucket shop fares then if ya SLOWLY earned FF miles.

SamH Feb 15th, 2004 06:46 AM

Hi. try giving www.iace-usa.com a try. They have great fares to Asia, although I'm not sure if they list flights out of Boston
sam