Bali in January?

Old Nov 16th, 2011, 05:20 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Bali in January?

My husband and I, with our two kids age 6 and 8, will have the opportunity between jobs to travel to Asia for 4-5 weeks starting December 26 and through the whole month of January. We'd like to get back to Asia and have focused in on Bali with a stop off in Hong Kong for the first 5 days. (We are moving from Europe back to the US) However, I'm concerned about the rain. I know there is a lot more to Bali than beaches, and we want to experience the culture, etc., but with kids we also need a good amount of beach/open/outdoor play time. Can anyone advise me if you think we will be disappointed? It's obviously a huge opportunity to have this much time, but we are locked in on the timeframe, so we want to make the most of it. We are open to other parts of Asia but I've researched it a bit and this seems like the best combination of safe, clean (for the kids) as well as interesting and beautiful....Thanks so much!
Old Nov 16th, 2011, 01:09 PM

http://www.weather2travel.com/climat...pasar-bali.php

Komaneka.com Ubud Hyatt Sanur for beach.

Some showers Thailand Phuket KohTao.com usually less not bad

I might consider JW Marriott.com Phuket from $80 priceline.com

bidding for me in the past or Lotus Resort Koh Tao

that time of year for better weather.

Happy Planning!
Old Nov 16th, 2011, 01:49 PM

From what I am told the rains are intermitent so there are normally 7+ hpours of sunny to partly sunny skies. Yes, you can get a tropical depression passing through that could ruin a day but that could occur anywhere. with the kids you want a large hotel and the Kominka's are nice but not large. the Hyatt in sanur and may be just right.
Old Nov 16th, 2011, 02:12 PM

You and your kids will still get plenty of beach time in January. The rain usually lasts 1-2 hours then the sun is back. Everything dries out quickly. Once in a while storms blow through the beach area leading to a string of grey days, but not constant downpour.

To me the worst aspects of the rainy season are that more trash washes up on the beach, outside eating places are limited and performance venues are curtailed. Otherwise, it's Bali business as usual.

I would also mention that late December- early January is definitely the highest of the high season, though. Resorts and restaurants are crowded and rates go up. So make your reservations as soon as you can.

There are plenty of kid friendly places in Bali, both at the beach and in the Ubud area.

In Ubud I would look at Alam Sari and Alila.

At the beach any of the big resorts are fun for families. Like both Hyatts, Intercontinental, Padma, Santrian, Grand Seminyak. There are many others.

I would also consider a villa with a pool and staff, especially in Seminyak. It won't be right on the beach but a 5-10 minute walk/ride and will have a lot of kid-friendly amenities. Lots of room and privacy.
Old Nov 16th, 2011, 04:32 PM

that's peak time for Australian families to go to Bali and the weather doesn't stop them.