Go Back  Fodor's Travel Talk Forums > Destinations > Asia
Reload this Page >

Lovely lunch in Bangkok finishes a great 3 weeks in Thailand

Old Jul 14th, 2012, 12:07 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

We have just had the pleasure of lunch with Hanuman and his family at Gaggan. Lovely food and great company. It's a wonderful finish to our 3 weeks in Thailand

We've had a bit of time in Bkk at both the beginning and end of the trip and 12 nights in Chiang Mai. Spent 3 nights this time at Chiang Mai cooking school homestay recommended by a number of Fodorites. We enjoyed that a lot. The food was really good and we also learnt a lot. I love cooking but was surprised at how much the Roobasher enjoyed it too. I cook Thai at home often but found the classes very useful and good fun.

We then had a very good stay at the Ratilanna hotel in Chiang Mai. Had a beautiful suite (upgraded) and found the hotel lovely all round although I wouldn't be so happy if we had had a ground floor room as these are a little overlooked. It's a little out of the town centre but easy enough to get in by Tuktuk. We walked back one day and it's quite doable.

So just one more day here and then we fly home. It's been a nice relaxing time.
Old Jul 14th, 2012, 12:22 AM

Another lucky person to meet the well- known Hanuman! I must get up to Chang Mai next time I am in Thailand!
Old Jul 14th, 2012, 01:28 AM

Oh lucky you to have dinner with Pook and his lovely family and at Gaggan too!!!!
Really looking forward to catching up again with Pook et al in September?

Which cooking school did you use in CM? We only did one day a few years ago but absolutely loved it!
Old Jul 14th, 2012, 01:35 AM

Lovely little GTG and was very nice to see Mary and Dan again!
Old Jul 14th, 2012, 02:40 AM
Original Poster

Hi Smeagol. We were at the Chiang Mai Thai Cookery School. I think it's the one you said you went to. Classes can be quite large (or small!) but they are very well equipped with great staff. Staying there was nice - just 5 rooms in the chefs lovely house. It has a pool and you get the run of the house and gardens plus a good dinner one evening. We had the dinner the night we arrived which was good as we really couldn't eat anymore after a day of cooking! They collected us from the airport, ran us around after classes and delivered us to the next hotel at the end of our stay. We went off for a drink a couple of nights once to an interesting little place that we would not likely have found on our own - upstairs on a wooden floor where you sit with legs dangling through the floor - only locals there.

Pook- thanks again for a lovely gtg - hope the ladies are suitably beautified for this evening even though they certainly don't need it.
Old Jul 14th, 2012, 04:55 AM

Sounds like a nice time, Mary. Pook and Dang and Mony are greats hosts/hostesses in Bangkok. Where did you stay this time?
Old Jul 14th, 2012, 06:41 AM
Original Poster

Hi Carol. Looks like we'll miss you. Are you still coming this week?

We stayed this time at Cape House. An apartment hotel again - I do like them. It's on Langsuan. We are in a one bed apartment. First stay version was a little bigger than the current one. They have a few different layouts so it's a bit of luck which you get. They have a washing machine etc. It's quite nice and very reasonable. Small pool upstairs along with a residents lounge with tea/coffee and snacks all day. It's such a convenient position
Old Jul 14th, 2012, 09:42 AM

life doesn't get any better than spending time with pook and co...
Old Jul 14th, 2012, 10:00 AM

Yes, I'm coming in next Thursday night! Sorry we won't have a chance to meet up in BKK again.

I'm staying at Four Points on soi 15 (Sukhumivt) this time. It is only a short stay before leaving for SYD for a week, so no need for a washing machine.

Glad you like Cape House. I keep looking at other serviced apartments (besides Adelphi) but have yet to find something as convenient to the skytrain! That's my #1 priority!!
Old Jul 14th, 2012, 12:05 PM

Have you tried Emporium Carol? Fantastic location and the larger apartments have a washing machine.
Old Jul 14th, 2012, 12:33 PM

Have not yet tried Emporium. Quite a bit pricier than my fave on soi 8, which usually runs me about $100/night for their 'executive' apartment. I'm sure it is not as fancy as Emporium. I should go and have a look sometime though. Not on this upcoming trip as it will be such a short one!