Fodor's Travel Talk Forums

Fodor's Travel Talk Forums (https://www.fodors.com/community/)
-   Asia (https://www.fodors.com/community/asia/)
-   -   Loose Leaf or Paper Visa for Vietnam (https://www.fodors.com/community/asia/loose-leaf-or-paper-visa-for-vietnam-850973/)

flgirl0817 Jul 22nd, 2010 02:14 PM

Loose Leaf or Paper Visa for Vietnam

Does anyone have any experience with the loose leaf visa for Vietnam? I only have five visa pages left in my passport and I really don't want to use all of the pages. I read that with a loose leaf visa you can staple it into your passport and return it on leaving the country.

Any advice would be appreciated. I leave the end of October, so I need to mail my papers to embassy in the next week or two.

Thanks

rhkkmk Jul 22nd, 2010 03:08 PM

i ahve never heard of such a thing and doubt it would be allowed in a usa passport....now in thailand they affix, with a small staple, what amounts to a visa and it is taken from you when you leave.....is this the kind of thing you mean??

for usa passports additional pages are free....you just need to be without your passport for about 2 weeks...

KimJapan Jul 22nd, 2010 03:14 PM

Adding pages is an option if your passport won't expire for a goose while, but it is no longer free. The fee is $82.00.

Marija Jul 22nd, 2010 03:14 PM

The rules have changed and it now costs $82 to add pages:
http://travel.state.gov/passport/fees/fees_837.html

cruisinred Jul 22nd, 2010 03:27 PM

That is way more complicated than it need be.
Just use the visa on arrival service such as that offered by Vietnam Stay. http://www.vietnamstay.com/service/
The total cost is $47, and you don't need to mail in your passport. The whole process only takes a few days via the internet. The visa authorization is emailed to you, you present it on arrival, 1 page visa pasted into your passport.

Kathie Jul 22nd, 2010 04:12 PM

The loose-leaf visa still needs to be pasted into your passport. No matter how you do it it will take a full page. If you don't have enough empty pages, have them added now.

flgirl0817 Jul 22nd, 2010 04:26 PM

Thanks all for your advice. I saw that it now costs additional for extra visa pages.

I know about the VOA, but heard that the lines are horrendous at HCMC airport and you may have to wait up to an hour. Maybe I'll just do it the traditional way and send my passport to the embassy.

My passport does not expire until 2015, but who knows where I will be traveling until then - hopefully a lot!!

cruisinred Jul 22nd, 2010 04:36 PM

I've done the visa on arrival twice, arriving at Hanoi...very speedy, and no problems at all. But I can't comment on SGN.

flgirl0817 Jul 22nd, 2010 04:50 PM

cruisinred,

I have heard that Hanoi airport is so much better than HCMC, too bad I'm not arriving there, otherwise I would do the VOA.

Last year I used a VOA into Cambodia and it was such a breeze. You applied online and within 24 hours I actually received the visa to download and staple into my passport. You didn' have to wait on any lines at all waiting for a visa at the airport - that was a true VOA. I wish more countries had those. It was such a breeze.

BTW - the costs for passports in the US have also gone up in price because of the new security chip the passport has.

Bisbeee Jul 22nd, 2010 09:20 PM

The SGN airport is fine. The only time there is a line is when when several international flights arrive at the same time (between 10-11:30am can be busy), but not always. When I arrived at 11:30am last week, there was nobody there. VOA would only take a few minutes. It helps to have them agency send you both forms, otherwise you'll need to fill out the second form when you arrive. Only takes a few minutes.

"now in thailand they affix, with a small staple, what amounts to a visa and it is taken from you when you leave."

??? This is the arrival/departure card, not a Visa.

flgirl0817 Jul 23rd, 2010 07:45 AM

My flight will be arriving around 10:30 a.m.. That was the reason I was concerned about getting the VOA.

Last year when I was in Thailand they only gave out an arrival and departure form - not a visa.

Bisbee - what was the form you were given at the airport?

Kathie Jul 23rd, 2010 08:38 AM

Thailand does not require a visa for citizens of the US, Canada, the EU and some others, but allows visa-free entry for stays of 28 days or less. The paper stapled into your passport, is, as Bisbee says the departure card.

Flygirl, why not get your visa in advance? I was amazed at how quickly the VN consulate got my passport and visa back to me - under a week!

Kathie Jul 23rd, 2010 08:39 AM

PS Cambodia does offer visa on arrival. What you obtained in Cambodia was a pre-arranged visa. Visa on arrival means you can shoe up without any pre-arrangement and purchase a visa at the airport.

flgirl0817 Jul 23rd, 2010 09:28 AM

Kathie,

I think I will get my visa in advance and just get it over with. I have filled out the form, have my photo and just have to mail it to DC with the $70 fee.

Thanks all