Go Back  Fodor's Travel Talk Forums > Destinations > Asia
Reload this Page >

Looking to Buy a Buddha in BKK and Luang Prabang

Oct 14th, 2003, 07:37 AM
Original Poster

Looking to get nice - but not outrageously priced - Buddha figures in BKK and Luang Prabang, Laos. Any suggestions for places to go?
Oct 14th, 2003, 01:35 PM

You know, darling, don't you that you must have a license to take a Buddha or Buddha image out of Thailand?? And believe me, they check at BKK Airport. I am a Buddhist and purchased a Buddha at Artisans D'Angkor in Siem Riep. I had to fly out of BKK after returning from Cambodia and I had to go to Customs to have my Buddha examined. They placed a tag with # around the Buddhas neck so the security screeners would spot it.

There are many places in Bangkok to buy Buddha statues, especially in the shops between the Oriental and the Shangri-la hotels. There is also a huge handicraft market called NARAYANA PHAND near Siam Square that sells Buddha images. You can also find cheap, molded plastic Buddhas in Chinatown. As a Buddhist, I hope you would like to purchase a Buddha for respectful reasons, and not for a "decoration" for your home. You will have bad Karma if you do so.
Oct 14th, 2003, 06:45 PM

I purchased a lovely antique Buddha in Bangkok. The shop took care of all the paperwork for me. Any reputable antique dealer would do so. I purchased at one of teh shops in River City, a large antiques center on the river next to the Royal Orchid.

I don't remember seeing Buddha images for sale in Luang Prabang, but you could look in every shop in LP in a day or two...
Oct 15th, 2003, 11:03 AM
Original Poster

Which dealers are best in River City? Also, what are the very rough prices one can expect? Not looking for something that large. Thanks!
Oct 15th, 2003, 12:19 PM

You will see Buddha images for sale literally everywhere in Bangkok, at all kinds of prices and in all kinds of quality. You can pay $5 or $500. It all really depends on what you like and how much you want to spend. I would be very wary of anyone claiming that a Buddha image is an antique, as a true antique would most likely not be permitted out of the country, and if it is an illegal antique that means it was stolen or literally ripped off a temple. Most "antiques" are new images that have been buried underground for a few months or left out in the rain. . .no harm in that, just don't expect a real antique and don't expect the image to be an investment which will appreciate in value. Buy what you like as a good keepsake. River City has literally dozens of shops, they are fairly expensive but good quality. However you will see images for sale on the street as well. Do some looking before you buy, even a cheap one.

You may also want to do some reading on Buddha images, as they come in different poses which symbolize different things. One of my favourites is Buddha calming the ocean, in which the image in a standing position with one hand raised, palm outwards. A more typical pose is the image seated with one hand touching the ground, this represents Buddha calling the earth to witness his enlightenment.
Nov 1st, 2003, 08:35 PM

Another option to River City is Silom Village. Again, bargain hard and most shops take care of paperwork.