Go Back  Fodor's Travel Talk Forums > Destinations > Asia
Reload this Page >

Looking for great fun beach in Thailand easily accessible by air

Mar 20th, 2009, 03:15 PM
Original Poster

I know this sounds overbroad - let me specify a bit. I work up north, boyfriend is coming to visit from Canada, we want to make a trip to a stunning beach (neither of us has ever been). Problem is, it's an automatic 3-leg flight from my town (Mae Hong Son) to any of the beach airports (Phuket, Krabi, Koh Samui). With this travel time, we can't afford to spend a lot of time venturing out to some out-of-the-way treasure beach. We need something within an hour or two max of an airport. Oh, and we're on a moderate budget (meaning no more than $40-50 a night).

We don't need any activities nearby but relaxing on the beach and dancing. I have been told these two can be mutually exclusive, since the nice, quiet beaches are by definition not the ones where the gap-year hordes congretate at clubs.

So my cake-and-eat-it-too question is: can we get gorgeous, low-key beach by day, nightlife, and airport nearby all in one?

Ray Leh sounds like a very promising option, given the upscale beach scene on the west coast and backpacker scene on the east, but I have heard even that is a very quiet one. Someone else suggested Hat Rin on Kho Pha Ngan...feedback and any other suggestions would be much appreciated.

thanks!

mp413
Mar 20th, 2009, 04:14 PM

"So my cake-and-eat-it-too question is: can we get gorgeous, low-key beach by day, nightlife, and airport nearby all in one?"

yes
Mar 20th, 2009, 05:04 PM
Original Poster

gee thanks Mango7 - like to be a little more specific?!
Mar 20th, 2009, 05:54 PM

mp413,

What time of the year are you planning your trip?
Mar 20th, 2009, 06:01 PM
Original Poster

June/July but a little up in the air, could be as late as August. thanks!
Mar 20th, 2009, 06:08 PM

That time of year pretty much means Samui or Phangan. Given your desire to reduce travel time, Phangan may be a beach too far. Lamai might fit your bill, or perhaps Bophut, although the dancing would be a taxi ride away.
Mar 21st, 2009, 03:20 AM
Original Poster

Thanks Michael - taking a taxi to go dancing is preferable to having a much longer journey to get to our destination. Lamai does sound nice, but I have gotten a few warnings that it's pretty seedy at night which is something I'd like to avoid.
Mar 21st, 2009, 07:02 AM

I rather like Bophut, especially Fishermans Village, which has a lot of nice restaurants, and zero sleaze. Can't say the beach there is great, but it's not bad (even better if you walk down to around the Anantara). Also, Smile House there fits your cost requirements as well.
Mar 21st, 2009, 07:37 AM

mp413- For the greatest seed factor go to Pattaya...the worst!