Go Back  Fodor's Travel Talk Forums > Destinations > Asia
Reload this Page >

looking for a good travel agent for a China trip

Old May 29th, 2001, 06:07 AM
Mark Golovcsenko

trying to plan a trip to China in the fall, have a good idea of what we want to see in the South, but need a good travel agent to fill in the details (hotels, travel w/i China, etc.)

any suggestions?

thanks in advance --

Old May 29th, 2001, 03:05 PM
helenwolkow

Am going on trip To China in Oct. 01. Looked at several, OAT, Grand Circle, SmarTours, Pacific Delight, etc. Chose China Plus because it seemed good, not too large a group, more personalized (led by tour co. owner) , price seemed right. Hope it was a good choice. If you're going independently try Pacific Delight. Also, East Quest, or Absolute Asia, or Asia Transpacific Journedys. All on web and have 800 numbers. helen

Old May 31st, 2001, 11:18 PM
Tim

When I went a few years ago, I used a travel agent who was actually originally from China. Your best way to find a good one is to shop for an agent in a primarily Asian area. For instance, in Southern California I found an agent located in Monterey Park. She was able to get me a great airfare ($1/2 the price of any other agent), since she bought in bulk and had special arrangements with United Airlines.

And make sure to read old postings and take advantage of the knowledge you can find on this site. Some of the restaurant suggestions that I received were great.

Old Jun 1st, 2001, 08:27 AM
clarence

try www.wildchina.com.

Old Jun 20th, 2001, 04:46 PM
John D. Roberts

Mark,
My wife and I booked a private tour for
20 nights in China, with guides at each city (Beijing, Suzhou, Hangzhou,Shangai,
Zian and a five day river cruise) thru
Number One Travel, Tampa, Florida. The trip included breakfast,lunch and a bunch of dinners, also domestic airfare and trains for a very good price.

Old Jun 27th, 2001, 02:28 AM
jackie

Just returned from a 24 day Pacific delights tour. It was very well done and we all(ten in our group) were well satisified with our experience. Good dollar value. We stayed in the hotels that others had upgraded to use. I think China would be very difficult unless you are able to deal with the language. Our guide was irreplaceable.

Old Aug 17th, 2001, 07:39 PM
Barbie Doll

try chinapac.com.

Old Aug 19th, 2001, 07:24 PM
Judy

Check out www.ChinaDiscoveryTours.com

(888) 371-3228 ext 114

We don't leave until the end of Sept. but all my friends, both experienced and novice travelers, rave about their trips AND the cost.

Old Aug 20th, 2001, 08:00 PM
travler

We went to China last month with Ritz Tours and had a great time.

We went last month on a two week tour with Ritz tours. We had the best time! It far exceeded our expectations.

Old Aug 21st, 2001, 10:39 AM
Les

Mark,
Where are you located? You might do better with a local, knowledgeable, face-to-face travel agent, rather than an anonymous WWW agency. If we knew where you were, someone might be able to offer a recommendation.

Old Sep 1st, 2001, 02:29 PM
carlos

are you sure you NEED a travel agent ?
i like making my own itenary and take it day by day. i hate waking up very early and being rushed. but maybe you want to. Contenental Airlines has direct flights and very cheap ($720rt, non stop). I am planning a trip this dec/jan. Let me know what you do.

Old Sep 2nd, 2001, 06:55 PM
Carol

Probably too late for advice on a trip this fall, but we have found that, if we want to combine somewhat independent travel with the security of our own guides, car, driver, that there are travel agents that can arrange such tours for very little more that those that arrange the big bus tours. We'll be taking one of these in Oct., our second trip to China, and will let you know how it turns out. Three weeks in China, on the ground, not counting the air travel time, with lots of the personal things we want to do and lots of free time. By the way, we are in our late 50's, early 60's. If I were 20 years younger, I would be more inclined to backpack. But my back aches more now than it did then!
Carol

Old Sep 2nd, 2001, 11:18 PM
lze

Hello, We took SmarTours in May this year to mainland China, HK, and Bangkok. It was a very large group (43) but everyone was great. No complainers. The tour guide had a handle on everyone. She was sharp. Have a wonderful time.

Old Sep 4th, 2001, 12:00 PM
Barbara

I have been looking at China Focus and it looks good. Trying to combine the Silk Road 15 day trip with a 15 day Three Gorges trip. Total price about $4000 for 26 nights there.

Old Sep 4th, 2001, 01:10 PM
Nikki

Hi Mark,
I just booked a trip to China with Pacific Delights for the 27th of October. From what I could gather, some of the best operators are OAT, Pacific Delight & Asia Transapacific Journeys (comments from friends/acquaintances).
Hope this helps.
Nikki

Old Sep 4th, 2001, 01:12 PM
Nikki

Sorry, my email address is [email protected].

Old Sep 4th, 2001, 06:19 PM
theresa

I travelled with Pacific Delight in June this year on a 14 day trip with my family to Beijing, Xian, Shanghai and Hong Kong which was top of the line and greatly exceed my expectations. I don't know how they offered such great pricing ... none of the other tour companies even came close!

Old Sep 7th, 2001, 01:44 PM
Barry

We took China Focus' 15 day trip that included Hong Kong this summer. Great trip, great travel company. Everyone has a different experience, but we had a very congenial group of 29. Good hotels, good food,well planned itinerary and transportation. Most of all, great guides. Visited Beijing, Xian, Guilin, Canton, Hong Kong, Hanzhou, and Shanghai. A bit rushed at times, but we did cover a lot of territory.

Old Sep 8th, 2001, 08:13 PM
carol

We just got back from a two week tour of China. We went with Ritz Tours and we arranged it with them directly.Try their website....Ritz Tours. com. It was first class all the way and at a great price too!!!!!!