General Thailand Questions

Old Jun 16th, 2005, 03:15 PM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
General Thailand Questions

My wife and I are planning a trip to primarily Thailand in either October or November. We are going to be there for two weeks and would like to experience three activities; historical, beach or spa and shopping.

Historical – which is a better experience Ayutthaya or we would also consider Angkor Wat in Cambodia? Where would you stay?

Beach or Spa – again any recommendations would be appreciated.

Shopping – that will be Bangkok and we will probable stay in the Pen. Plus there will be a little more history to experience.

Thanks for all/any advice.
Old Jun 16th, 2005, 03:23 PM

Angkor Wat over Ayutthaya -- no comparison. I would say you should spend 3 days there.

Shopping -- Bangkok and Chiang Mai.

I'd opt for spas because you can go to great ones both in Bangkok and in northern Thailand where you can be doing shopping and cultural activities at the same time. But I must admit to not being a beach person-- I figure there are plenty of great beaches that I can get to in this country or a lot closer than Thailand. So when I go to Thailand I want to spend as much time as possible doing and seeing things I can only do there.
Old Jun 16th, 2005, 03:25 PM

Ayutthaya is a day trip whereas Angkor Wat requires more time (the consensus on this board is at least 3 full days). There are a number of upper end accomodations in Siem Reap, the base for exploring the temples. We are staying at the Victoria when we go next February. Others will post on their experiences.
Old Jun 16th, 2005, 03:31 PM

No question, Angkor Wat is stunning. Ayutthaya doesn't hold a candle to it.

Beach/Spa: I have several suggestions for you to consider. There is an Anantara at the Golden Triangle which is beautiful and has a wonderful spa. You would get a glimpse of the far north of Thailand and get a relaxing spa experience.

There is also an Anantara at Hua Hin, just a couple hours drive south of Bangkok. That Anantara has Deluxe Lagoon rooms that are even more amazing than the ones at the Golden Triangle and a wonderful spa. You can buy a spa package at either place.

One other spa option: The Chiva Som is considered by many to be the best destination spa in the world. It is located in Hua Hin. I have to admit that I really didn't like their accommodations that much, and they are very expensive. But I stayed at the Hyatt (gorgeous grounds)and toook the five minte walk to the Chiva Som (via the beach) and had a really wonderful experience.

While there are lots of spas in Bangkok, there is something to be said for getting away from it all to the mountains or the beach for your spa!
Old Jun 16th, 2005, 04:19 PM

The temples of Angkor are awe-inspiring, and they're not to be compared to Ayuthaya. The scenery of Angkor area is fascinating too. I agree that you should spend 3 full days there. (As a matter of fact, even 3 weeks wouldn't be enough for such sights!!!). When it comes to beaches, Phra Nang near Krabi is probably one of the most beautiful in whole Thailand. Koh Tao in Samui archipelago also has very nice beaches, but only one of them is suitable for swimming: the others are way too shalow...
Old Jun 17th, 2005, 04:36 AM

Basic advice for temple viewing- know thyself but more importantly know thy spouse! If you are both the type that can spend hour after hour gazing at temples then do indeed spend 3 full days at Angkor but..... if and/or your spouse get templed out in a few hours then maybe 2 full days - certainly not 3 weeks! (I'm sure that was in jest).
Old Jun 17th, 2005, 05:56 AM

October/November is the time the seasons change so beach time it is difficult to suggest either the Gulf side or the Andaman side. If you head to Chiang Mai you might think about the Jirung health resort and Spa, but of a way from town but all suites and it's under USD 100! if you head to an island there are some great boutique resorts and spa places, it really comes down to if you want to laze on the beaches or do more sightseeing.
Old Jun 18th, 2005, 09:07 AM

I would suggest that you go in November. The rainy season will have shifted away from the Andaman side and Phuket or Krabi will be nice.

Concerning Spas, there is a difference between spa treatments, e.g., exfoliation, wraps,etc. and massages. If you want the former, a designated spa is best. However, if it is massage that you are seeking, there are many more options. One of the best is the Wat Pho School of Massage. They will come to your hotel room, so scheduling is easy.
Old Jun 19th, 2005, 12:19 AM

angkor wat is 5000 times better and more interesting...i did not like ay and would not return there althogh i could easily go back to SR

beach...phuket or samui

i prefer the bkk shopping....the penn is a great place...pick up the treasurers and pleasurers of thailand and myanmar by ron krannich for shopping assistance...available on amazon