Fodor's Travel Talk Forums

Fodor's Travel Talk Forums (https://www.fodors.com/community/)
-   Asia (https://www.fodors.com/community/asia/)
-   -   Long-term rentals in Thailand (https://www.fodors.com/community/asia/long-term-rentals-in-thailand-846786/)

mcbeanie Jun 26th, 2010 08:47 AM

Long-term rentals in Thailand

I know that several of you have looked at ~~ or have property in Thailand ~~ so I am looking for some info that isn't on the Web. We are thinking of dividing our time between Thailand and the US. We are thinking about a nicer residential area, farang-friendly, either in BKK or maybe another area.

Since we really don't know exactly what we want, we are open to all suggestions. We have always stayed in the upper Suk area but understand that there are many ex-pats further out Suk. We are both retired so working is not an option.

What are the Thai laws on foreigners owning property in Thailand?

Any ideas will be appreciated.

McBeanie (Sandra)

Kathie Jun 26th, 2010 10:05 AM

I've done some research on this, as we are thinking about retiring (at least part-time) to Thailand. As a foreigner, you cannot own land in Thailand. You can purchase a condo (though only a certain proportion of any condo development can be foreign-owned). You also need to get a visa for a long stay, and there are several types to look at. There is a retirement visa, but as I read it, it's for people who are spending most/all of the year in Thailand.

For long term rentals, you might check out sites like www.vbro.com Also, I know people who negotiate long-term leases with serviced apartments. Often they negotiate for a particular unit, and get prices much better than what you see on the web. I also know a couple of people who negotiate long-term stays with a hotel.

rhkkmk Jun 26th, 2010 01:54 PM

all of the serviced apartments have long term rental senarios...depending on the occupancy i think the cost could vary from any published price...

on your next trip go to a few blocks (make an appointment) and review what they would offer you...

lots of expats live starting at soi 8 all the way out i think...

they also live in the silom/sathorn area as well...

here is our current thinking/fear----bkk is fantastic and we can't get enough of it....would that change when and if we stopped going to nice restaurants all the time, stopped spending hours shopping, etc, etc....our current thinking is yes....when all the of the pluses were removed and you had to cook, shop, etc etc for yourself, wouldn't you tire of it real quickly when you were living with all the flaws that bkk or any huge city presents???? of course it is cheap and you can have help for a very low fee and you can eat out as cheaply as cooking in, but still we worry and do not want to burst the bkk bubble...

of course you can live in other places in thailand much cheaper: chiang mai (ugh!!!), koh samui, pattaya, hua hin, etc, but they do not have the day to day feel of a bkk, imo

so we live in boston area, and continue to return to thailand as often as possible and the bubble is still inflated

rhkkmk Jun 26th, 2010 03:28 PM

shortened version....would living there for a longer time than 4-6 weeks spoil it for you?? would bkk and thailand loose its magic??

Hanuman Jun 26th, 2010 03:54 PM

Bob has a point there but there are quite a few foreigners who spend a lot of time here whether it's for retirement or just they enjoy living here.

Just want to add that there's a Thai retirement visa: Non-Immigrant Visa “O-A” (Long Stay). More information from the Thai ministry of foreign affairs: http://www.mfa.go.th/web/2482.php?id=2493

For long term rental or property purchases for all of Thailand try companies such as Richard Ellis(Thailand) - http://www.cbre.co.th/en/index.asp

simpsonc510 Jun 26th, 2010 04:30 PM

Great information, hanuman. I do know people who spend several months in BKK/Thailand over the cold USA winter months. They are (obviously) from the northern part of the USA where it gets really cold! The move from one apartment complex to another, trying something new each time. Although they talk about buying, they are not yet ready to do that, even though they've been spending their USA winters in BKK for several years now, or more. I think the long term rental is the way to go, until you determine where you would want to be spending your money on a permanent place.

rhkkmk Jun 26th, 2010 06:14 PM

if i had a regular place in bkk, i think i might have to think twice about visits elsewhere, like in africa, s. america, europe, etc...

i am not ready to give up on any of it...!!

mcbeanie Jun 26th, 2010 06:36 PM

Each of you makes a lot of sense ~~ particularly the loss of the aura of BKK. Rentals, I think, are a closer option than buying. Time will tell.

Thanks to all.

Sandra

Gpanda Jun 27th, 2010 08:29 AM

BKK is a wonderful place to go as a tourist. Being a resident will be a very different experience. What will you do tp fill your days? Shopping and restauranting ( a new word, but the meaning is clear) will probably not sustain you. In other words, what would the 45th day of a 60 day stay be like? If the answer is not exciting, perhaps 2 or 3 months in BKK is not a good plan. Of course, you can give it a try with rentals and just don't repeat if there's not enough existence.

simpsonc510 Jun 27th, 2010 05:46 PM

Well.... if you have many friends who live in BKK (you need to meet Maeng and Dr Jack for starters) then it makes it an easier long stay. But I do think that the aura would be lost, as others have said. You can always hop on a plane or in a van and head to a beach or up north to Chiang Mai for a week or so. Breaks up the 60 days nicely.

Kathie Jun 27th, 2010 06:20 PM

While I love Bangkok itself, another attraction is the proximity to so many wonderful places. So in my fantasy, stretches of time in Bangkok would be broken up by a trip to Laos or Burma, for instance.

Think about what you do during your days now. Which of those things could you do in Bangkok, which not?

We've looked just a little at condos to buy, but once we're retired, we'll try out Bangkok on a long-term rental basis before we would buy.

Hanuman Jun 27th, 2010 06:27 PM

We have properties abroad as well and in the reverse scenario, I would get homesick or bored after 1 month outside of Thailand.

IMO a 60 or 90 days visa and spend those time over the new year when the weather is nicest will be perfect. You can have short trips, as Kathie have suggested, to all the neighbouring countries where they will also be enjoying good weather.

Check out all the holidays and activities from November to January - Loy Kratong, King's Birthday, New Year etc.

Guenmai Jun 27th, 2010 10:06 PM

Pick up the book, "The Bangkok Survivor's Handbook-A Guide to Living in Asia's City of Angels", by Robert Hein. Everything is in it. I have the 2003 edition, as I've been researching this for a long time. There is an updated edition of the same book that I saw out.

Also, if you go to the bookstores, in Bangkok, there are very good magazines dealing with buying property and visa issues. I have a lot of this info which I collected years ago. As for condos, there's freehold and leasehold. And the buildings are 51% Thai ownership and 49% foreign, if going to buy a unit. I've seen a lot of buildings and units.

And if you're going to be serious about spending a substantial amount of time there, then it's important to be serious about studying Thai which is not an easy language. I've studied at least 8 languages, that I can remember, plus very briefly studied Thai, while in Bangkok, and Thai is a bear of a language. It takes a "lot" of seriousness and perserverence.

I'm a firm believer of it being mandatory to study the language of the country that one has chosen to seriously settle down in and not just take short vacations to. I find it respectful to the people of the country, which is why I studied Danish for so many decades while spending my summers in Danmark. And people were so grateful that I did. Plus, it gives one mobility to travel around a country independently, like I did in Danmark, and also deal with emergency situations. There's a lot to consider before moving to another country.

As for language schools, there are tons of them and I researched a lot of them and visited some. I attended Baan Aksorn. www.baanaksorn.com. I can only have max 3 weeks in Bangkok, due to work and elderly parents, but Baan Aksorn and I wrote an intensive program to fit my needs.

I really should say that the school came to me, as I had my instructors come to my serviced apartment. The school is very close to Emporium Suites, on the other side of Sukhumvit Rd. and a side street or two; about a 20-25 minute walk.

Baan Aksorn wasn't cheap, but excellent and I can sniff out a fly-by-night language-learning situation pretty quickly and that wasn't one. They are very serious. I have other schools on my list,too although that's the only one that I attended. I would attend it again. I'd rather pay more money for a really serious program than spend less on a "so-so" one. And I've read a lot about different programs around town. Happy Travels!

Guenmai Jun 27th, 2010 10:20 PM

I forgot to mention that I've been a member of www.bnow.org for some years now. They have really expanded since I first joined. They are a women's organization that has all types of gatherings and also have, on their website, information about a lot of expat issues.

I actually found my language school through them. And after I had finished my language program, I happened to mention it to an expat friend, who's lived in Bangkok for decades, and she mentioned that she knows the owner of the school and knew that it was very good. So, you have to just be out there meeting people and making connections and then things start to come together. It's not easy though. Once one gets out of the "tourist" hub, it's a whole different world. Happy Travels!

mcbeanie Jun 28th, 2010 05:07 AM

WOW!!!!!!!!

simpsonc510 Jun 28th, 2010 05:10 AM

per guenmai...Once one gets out of the "tourist" hub, it's a whole different world. Happy Travels!

Guenmai, in my own case, having Thai and expat friends truly enhances my visits to BKK. I think that's why I do not get bored in that city.

You should post this reply on vinovino's thread.

rhkkmk Jun 28th, 2010 05:43 AM

i think that many of us have perceived the advantage of making friends in thailand....take hanuman for instance, who is friendly to a number of us and enhances our thai experience each trip....same for some of the hotel people you have come to know our your jeweler or other retail contacts or as in carol's case folks like dr jack and maeng....it makes all the difference in the world to "know" locals and to be able to see things through their eyes...

if you lived in bkk for a protracted amount of time these friendships would only grow...

AskOksena Jun 28th, 2010 06:26 AM

Hello mcbeanie (sandra)! (Vaguely recall you once enquired about that sensational Singaporean airline. This past weekend, as special as ever - and she's always there for all of you at singaporeair.com - thank you.)

Now, slightly hijacking this thread for you Sandra, in order to give another shameless promo, this time for the 'long stay' apartments at that sweet slice of Bangkok business travel heaven, the Shangri-La hotel. The rather well appointed lodgings are located in the Krungthep Wing and are serviced by some rather fine friends and employees. (A recent work trip stay on floor 12, most productive and enjoyable.)

If so inclined, mail/call the property for more info, and perhaps, 'special offers'. I'm currently scheduled to meet with some of the management/staff in a few weeks; may have more info for you. (And, thanks in advance for supporting the Thai economy - greatly appreciated.)

All the best, a productive week to all, keep on researching - and keep on flying those Girls.

macintosh (robert)

... "Sweet dreams" ...

(Thanks forever, Shangri-La)

mcbeanie Jun 28th, 2010 10:31 AM

AskOsena ~~ In fact, we are booked on SIN 61 and 62. Paid extra for bulkhead seats (for the leg room). Looking forward to our trip!

Sandra

mcbeanie Jun 28th, 2010 10:36 AM

You have all given great advice ~~ and have caused us to re-think the idea of staying in Thailand long-term. If we weren't planning appts at Bumrungrad this trip, even 6 weeks might be a little long.

I do agree with the idea of knowing people in BKK. We do know a couple of people, and ~~ with Carol's invitation ~~ look forward to meeting Maeng, Dr. Jack, and some of you while we are there. It looks like Carol ~~ and maybe others ~~ will be there at the same time as we will. I know C will also be at the Adelphi.

Happy Travels is what it's all about. Thanks everyone!!!!!!

Sandra