Go Back  Fodor's Travel Talk Forums > Destinations > Asia
Reload this Page > london gatwick to chiang mai, thailand flight jan 2010

london gatwick to chiang mai, thailand flight jan 2010

Mar 22nd, 2009, 03:08 PM
Original Poster

london gatwick to chiang mai, thailand flight jan 2010

main question: im trying to find a really cheap flight from lgw to chiang mai, preferably non stop (not good with being on the plance forever!). hoping to get one now so its booked far ahead - cheaper? anybody got best quotes?

i no most flights go to bangkok but the i wanna go to chiang mai first. then to bangkok by train, then to phuket or krabi from bangkok.

ive done it this way because most domestic flights dont go from chiang mai to krabi/phuket, they go from bkk. so i wouldnt wanna fly to bankok, then go to chiang mai only to come back to bangkok again.

also, is it best to get a flight from BKK to phuket or BKK to krabi as im looking at island hopping around krabi (ko phi phi etc) for a few days then heading home again. then would you suggest a flight from phuket to lgw because i dont think they go from krabi to lgw? weres best to get a quote for the flight home?

its all so complex, im going on my own, please help! x
Mar 22nd, 2009, 11:55 PM

You will not be able to fly directly to CM you will have to go via Bangkok but depending on who you fly with they will probably check your luggage all the way thru and connections are fairly short.
I would fly into Krabi if you want to go to Krabi,Phuket is about 2.5 hours drive away.
Check out trailfinders or Travelmood they have some great fares (although you may find you have a better choice i you fly from Heathrow instead of Gatwick)
Mar 23rd, 2009, 08:10 AM

Jan 2010 flights to Thailand should be available about July. I usually go Gulf Air which does mean some hours in Bahrain either way but saves me £100 or more on a non-stop flight. Try: kayak, opodo, netflights, etc. From Bangkok you can get an AirAsia flight to Chiang Mai (5 flights a day, I think) from the same Bangkok airport.
Mar 23rd, 2009, 12:19 PM

As others have said, you'll need to fly through Bangkok in order to get to CM. There are a number of carriers that fly within Thailand. Air Asia is very cheap but they do not transfer luggage. So if you opt to fly to Bangkok and transfer to Air Asia, you would need to go through immigration, collect your luggage, go through customs, go to the Air Asia desk and check yourself and your luggage in for your next flight. If you fly on Thai Air, for instance, your airline from London would transfer your luggage from the international flight to the domestic flight, you would just transit in Bangkok.

As you do your research, consider whether you want to take the train to Bangkok from CM or fly. The train takes quite a while, and you can often fly for not much more. It just depends on how you want to spend your vacation.

Also, you'll want to buy a roundtrip ticket from London to Thailand rather than two one-way tickets. Such one way tickets are always much more expensive.

Have you bought a guidebook yet? A good guidebook will help you sort out logistics. The trip you are outlining is very easy to do, Thailand has good traveler infrastructure.
Apr 13th, 2009, 05:10 AM
Original Poster

thanks for the help. i plan to fly Heathrow (if i can gatwick i will..) to CM via Bangkok. Cheapest I can find is Air Asia at £400 for jan 2010. Do you think this price will go up or down the later i book it?

After being in CM for a few days I plan on taking the overnight train to BBK, after staying here for a few days, i then plan on getting a domestic fly to Krabi.

Somehow id like to get from Krabi airport to a beach destination before staying here. Maybe Ao Nang? .. Not sure if this is too much after a flight..

Then id like to island hop in the areas around Krabi... Im not sure which island id like to stay on. Id like lovely beach and scenery but not so touristy and populated - more secluded but where i can get a boat to other places from.

then id have to go all the way back to krabi airport for a flight home.. this means buying a separate flight ticket though. which is going to cost another £400.

anything there you can help me with.. ?
x
Apr 13th, 2009, 06:11 AM

In general, Air Asia has the cheapest prices if you buy early, and the price gets higher as the flight gets nearer. Buy a roundtrip ticket from London to Bangkok. Air Asia also often has the cheapest prices for intra-Thailand flights.

It's an easy taxi ride from the Krabi airport to Ao Nang. Depending on your island-hopping, you can then fly out of Krabi back to Bangkok or out of Phuket back to Bangkok to catch your flight home.

I'm not sure if I answered your questions or not... I really didn't understand the comment about "this means buying a separate flight ticket though. which is going to cost another £400."
Apr 14th, 2009, 12:49 PM
Original Poster

.. hi thanks.
what i meant was if i bought a round ticket to bangkok id save alot of money (say if the flight was in sale £400 rtn, as opposed to two separate tickets for £400 each).

but i dont want to do this because it would mean the first sceniro (alot of backwards and forwards flights) rather than the second:

1. bangkok - chiang mai - bangkok - krabi - bangkok

2. chiang mai - bangkok - krabi (costs more in flights but more logical)

does this make sense.. ?

im also now toying whether for the beaches.. its best to fly to Krabi or Trang (for krabi or trang area beaches) hmmm

Also, it would be great if i cud do option 2 and do it by getting cheaper tickets with a multi destination ticket.. do they exsist??
for LG/LH - CMX, then Krabi - LG/LH
Ive tryed looking but all i can find is for multi destination tickets for several countries (like thailand to singapore to...)
Apr 14th, 2009, 02:56 PM

There are no non-stop flights from Krabi to London. And there are no non-stop flights from London to Chiang Mai. You have to go through Bangkok in both cases. So it makes sense to buy a roundtrip ticket from London to Bangkok, then add on your other flights.

You can get multi-destination tickets, but not with Air Asia. If you were flying with Thai, you could get a multi-destination ticket that went to all the places you are visiting, but it would cost much more than your Air Asia ticket plus the add ons. You can buy your roundtrip Air Asia tickets to Bangkok then add on other Air Asia flights but Air Asia will not tranfer your luggage from flight to flight. So even if you were leaving for Chiang Mai the same day as you arrive in Bangkok you'd have to go through customs and immigration, pick up your luggage, then check back in at the Air Asia desk.

I understand that you want to minimize the number of flights, but the flights you want you simply do not exist. Spend some time on the airline websites and take a look at routings you might consider. Really, the flights you would need to take to get to those destinations are no big deal. Flights within Thailand are easy and inexpensive.
Apr 14th, 2009, 08:33 PM

Your cheapest way is by using Air Asia for all flights. But the airline does not fly from London to Bangkok but rather to Kuala Lumpur. From there you can get a flight direct to Chiang Mai but will require an overnight stay in KL. The cost of a return flight (London/KL/London) is around 328 GBP if booked early and depending on the day. The 400 GBP that you mention each way is for the XL class and with taxes comes out to about 1050. If you were planning to use this class, then a coach seat in a fully serviced airline flying directly to Bangkok could probably be had cheaper.

Search this Thread