Fodor's Travel Talk Forums

Fodor's Travel Talk Forums (https://www.fodors.com/community/)
-   Asia (https://www.fodors.com/community/asia/)
-   -   Lisu Lodge/Lanna Farm (https://www.fodors.com/community/asia/lisu-lodge-lanna-farm-441870/)

CFW Jun 12th, 2004 12:40 PM

Lisu Lodge/Lanna Farm

Looking for more information on Lisu Lodge or Lanna Farm day or overnight trips. There are a number of tour operators out of Chiang Mai that offer one or two day trips with overnight at one or the other. Has anyone done any of these trips? Some of the tour operators are East West Siam, Discover Thailand, Circle of Asia... They all seem the same. Is there a difference between them? Should we book in advance from US or book when we get to Chiang Mai?

CFW Jun 17th, 2004 02:50 AM

ttt. Anyone? Particularly interested in anyone who has stayed overnight at Lanna Farm. Worthwhile?

sandi Jun 17th, 2004 03:49 AM

CFW - We stayed at the Lisu Lodge one nite on our way up to the Golden Triangle area. We had spent the day in Chiang Mai and instead of staying at a hotel there, we went north about 30-miles to the Lisu Lodge.

It was lovey, basic, but clean. There are a number of buldings each with about 3 or 4 rooms, each containing very thick 15" mattresses, good linens, downfilled comforters. Covered with Lisu designed spreads, mostquito netting. Walls are covered in patterned bamboo. Two windows which we kept open at night (we were there in hot season), but also ran the fan (no a/c here). The bathroom is simple but contains the necessary commode, sink and shower.

We arrived in time for dinner which is served on low tables (Thai style) with seating/reclining cushions. The meal was excellent and served with local wine which was very good. After dinner we were entertained by the Lisu children of various ages, dressed in their traditional clothing. It was a great photo op.

There was only one other couple - honeymooners from Paris who had been scheduled for Bali, but since the bombing the week prior, they were rescheduled for a Thailand trip which they were enjoying tremendously.

We had one of our best night's sleep here and were well rested when morning the rooster crowed. We were able to see the area in light and the mist rising above the rice fields were lovely.

Breakfast was served (orders having been taken the night before) - juice, eggs, sausage or bacon or potatoes, toast, coffee.

Our hosts were warm and welcoming and very accommodating. We then left to continue on our trip north, first stopping at an elephant camp and then going to the GT.

I do know that the Lisu Lodge had been awarded the "best eco-lodge" in Asia a few years back; they are actually a trekking lodge during trekking season from where there are various activities the lodge will arrange for guests. While we booked our entire trip in the US prior departing to SEAsia, our land operator in Thailand was East/West Siam and we found them to be very competent for our entire itinerary.

Cannot comment on the other tour operators or Lanna Farm. Hope the above helps.

CFW Jun 18th, 2004 02:07 AM

Thanks, Sandi. We're planning 3 nights in Chang Mai & wondered if it was worthwhile spending one night at either Lisu Lodge or Lanna farm to get a more authentic Thai experience. Lanna farm seems to be affiliated with Lisu Lodge and am trying to decide between the two -- but can't find anyone who has been to the farm. It looks beautiful on the web, but your description of Lisu lodge sounds good too.

sandi Jun 18th, 2004 03:55 AM

CFW - just checked out the Lanna Farm site, which seems to be an addition to the Lisu Lodge group (under the auspices of East/West Siam).

Interesting buildings. Are these for each couple/family or does each hold a number of rooms? Difficult to determine from pictures and/or description. The offering of activities seems to be similar to Lisu. However, I would contact East/West Siam and ask them specifics.

I don't think it would make that much difference except where you wish to be physically, the activitities offered and where you go on to from there. To me it almost seems a toss of a coin. I believe both would provide a cultural experience for a few days.

CFW Jun 18th, 2004 06:25 PM

Sandi, I will contact East-West Siam or Lisu Lodge directly...Lanna Farm seems to be affiliated with Lisu Lodge & I think the overnight trip to Lanna farm includes a visit to the Lisu Village with the lodge you stayed at. The architecture & setting of the farm look lovely & it might be fun to do this tour. Something a little different than the ordinary hotel & sightseeing tour.

sandi Jun 19th, 2004 03:59 AM

All the properties - boats, sights, accommodations on that site are owned in conjunction with East/West Siam - very reputable company. So either the Lisu Lodge of Lanna Farm are good options, and if from the Farm you get to visit the Lodge, go with that. And spend a day or two in the area. It will be a closer to real experience than big hotels in BKK. This was one of our best nights and great sleep considering the heat and humidity most everywhere else - at the Lisu Lodge it was delightful for sleeping. Whichever you decide will be well worth it. Enjoy your holiday.

HBR Nov 18th, 2004 03:04 AM

This info is probably too late for CFW, but I thought I'd add it for the record. We took a 3 day, 2 night trip with East West Travel to Lisu Lodge and Lanna Farm this past August. There were 4 of us, 2 adults, 2 kids age 10 and 12. The trip was excellent. We chose it as an alternative to a trek, because we didn't relish the prospect of treking during the rainy season, especially with kids. We visited a couple of hill tribe villages, toured a couple of temples, went elephant riding, bamboo rafting, had a short mountain bike ride, went to a local food market, and had a cooking class. The accomodation was lovely. Sandi has given a good description of Lisu Lodge. Lanna Farm was built in the traditional Thai style, and it was where we had the cooking class as well. I think that the plan is to hold craft classes at Lanna Farm, although this wasn't in place at the time we were there. Like Lisu Lodge, Lanna Farm is beautifully decorated and extremely comfortable. It is on the outskirts of a village, rather than within it like Lisu Lodge. The meals at both Lisu Lodge and Lanna Farm were of very high quality and quite plentiful. There were usually 4 separate dishes for the 2 adults at each meal. We didn't choose the dishes, they simply arrived, which led to us trying delicious food we probably wouldn't have otherwise sampled. Our children don't particularly like Thai food, and the cooks tried to accomodate this as best as they could, although if we were doing it again I would probably bring a jar of peanut butter along.

CFW Nov 18th, 2004 06:19 PM

HBR, Thanks so much for your post! It's not at all too late -- we're going in January and were so glad to hear about your experience at Lanna Farm. We're going to do an overnight there with a cooking class. The trip includes a visit to the Queen Sirikit botanical gardens and an orchid farm on the way to Lanna farm. How did you enjoy the cooking class?

HBR Nov 20th, 2004 11:57 PM

We liked the cooking class a lot. First, we went to the local town food market, which was fascinating because it was not touristy at all. We then went back to Lanna Farm. At our class, there were 4 adults and our two children. First, the instructor taught us how to carve decorative vegetables. She then taught us how to make 4 different dishes. We also received a cook book. We then ate our dishes for lunch -- very deliscious. The teacher was quite patient with everyone.