Fodor's Travel Talk Forums

Fodor's Travel Talk Forums (https://www.fodors.com/community/)
-   Asia (https://www.fodors.com/community/asia/)
-   -   Lisu Lodge (https://www.fodors.com/community/asia/lisu-lodge-433533/)

HBR May 19th, 2004 06:54 PM

Lisu Lodge

Has anyone had experience with tours booked through Lisu Lodge? Thanks!

sandi May 20th, 2004 05:09 AM

HBR - we only did an overnight stay here on our way between Chiang Mai city before heading up to the Golden Triangle. We did not, however, take any of the tours as our itinerary had been prebooked before arriving in Thailand.

However, the lodge is lovely, simple, but absolutely great. They have those very thick 15" mattresses, and down comforters - we didn't need these as it was quite warm, but they'd be great during the cooler trekking season. Rooms have electricity, a fan, a simple bathroom with the appropriate commode, sink, and shower.

The food was simple but ample, with local wine; the staff was warm and friendly; the local children entertain after dinner in their traditioal dress - interesting and great photos.

The Lisu Lodge had been voted the #1 Eco-Lodge in Asia about 3-years ago and is certainly deserving of this. While we only did the overnight, they are known as a trekking camp offering a wide array of activities. I don't believe you can go wrong as long as they have/can provide the activities you are seeking.

rhkkmk May 20th, 2004 07:32 PM

having read this description, i think it souds just great, but i can't imagine being anyplace in thailand without air conditioning....it not N.E.

diane_c May 21st, 2004 01:00 AM

In reply to the above post: we were doing some treking in northern Thailand in March(the hot season) staying with hill tribe families and, surprisingly, needed warm blankets at night. It does get cool at night up in the hills.

sandi May 21st, 2004 05:21 AM

After leaving BKK and spending time in Chiang Mai, arriving at Lisu it was still warm (this was end-October) and when we saw those heavy down comforters and no a/c, we told them to take away the comforters, provide a top sheet and that would be more than ample. We slept with the fan on and open windows - the best night sleep during our entire trip. It was a pleasure not being under a down comforter and actually not being in a/c and the fresh air was just that refreshing. We were up with the roosters, showered, dressed and able to see the property in daytime (we arrived in dark the night before - have a small flashlight with you). We could see the mist sitting atop the rice fields and it was beautiful.

Our entire trip had us in 5* & 4* hotels and I was apprehensive initially about the lodge. This is not to say we haven't stayed in rustic accommodatons elsewhere, even tented camps in Africa - but we went with the Lisu Lodge and it was great!

Also with us at the Lodge was a honeymooning couple from France who had been scheduled for Bali - which having been bombed a few days before, their itinerary was changed to Thailand. They loved the lodge and were pleasantly surprised to be enthralled with all of Thailand. Many honeymooner from all over the world who had been scheduled for Bali were switched to Thailand.

HBR May 21st, 2004 07:51 AM

Thanks Sandi -- were mosquitos a problem with open windows? Did you sleep under a mosquito net and, if so, was it effective?

sandi May 21st, 2004 12:59 PM

HBR -

In response to your

>>were mosquitos a problem with open windows? Did you sleep under a mosquito net and, if so, was it effective?<<

Yes, there was mosquito netting, and we were under it. But even the time I got up in middle of the nite, didn't notice any mossie even in the bathroom once I closed door and put on the light. I believe the room was sprayed before we retired to the room for sleep.

citiboy50 May 21st, 2004 02:09 PM

We took a private trip-$100 per person overnight with the hilltribes in March. It was the highlight of our vacation. No electricity nor running water. We stayed overnight in a Bamboo hut with Mosquito netting. However; there were no Mosquitos. We needed an extra blanket overnight. If you are in shape bearing in mind we are in our late 40s, I recommend this trip highly.

rhkkmk May 21st, 2004 08:03 PM

malaria is a problem in this area at times as discussed on another thread...so why would you expose yourselves to this?? give me an airconditioned room or at least one that keeps bugs out and me alive....sorry to be so provincal...