Fodor's Travel Talk Forums

Fodor's Travel Talk Forums (https://www.fodors.com/community/)
-   Asia (https://www.fodors.com/community/asia/)
-   -   Lijiang Hotels - 4 or 5 Star? (https://www.fodors.com/community/asia/lijiang-hotels-4-or-5-star-538695/)

messedup Jun 22nd, 2005 10:28 AM

Lijiang Hotels - 4 or 5 Star?

I can't seem to find an recent threads on Lijiang Hotels. Looking for a 4-5 Star place. I assume a location in old town is most preferred. Thx.

keldar Jun 23rd, 2005 02:01 AM

Hi Messedup:
My husband and I and a few colleagues were travelling around Yunnan province at the beginning of May. We stayed in two hotels in Lijiang and ate dinner in one other.
We stayed two nights at the Shi Li Hotel (Shiner Hotel in English) on Shangri La Rd. This hotel was ok, it claims it's 4 star and to Chinese standards it probably is. The carpets were a bit tired and the food was just ok in the restaurant. (we ate breakfast and dinner here one day) The hotel is only about a 7 minute cab ride to the old town which cost 7 RMB.
We ate dinner in the Guanfang Hotel which was very good. Chinese and Western buffet, good staff and clean hotel. My husband tried out the massage centre in both hotels and was pleased with the Guanfang service.
This hotel is just down the street and across the road from the Shiner Hotel.
The Lijiang Jian Nan Chun Hotel was extremely well located right in the old town. Lots of great shopping and sightseeing just outside the door. The rooms we had ranged from blah to just fine. Some of the standard rooms had very tiny windows at ceiling height which let in very little light. I just couldn't live with this and requested a different room which because of it being a high travel time in China was difficult but they complied. Our upgraded room was much nicer.
We preferred our night in the hotel in the old town because it was so nice to just walk around after the crowds of the day had left. But dinner at the Guanfang Hotel was so nice it may be a choice too as the meals in the Jian Nan Chun were just ok.
If you have the time while you are in Lijiang, take an overnight (or longer) up to Lake Lugu. The drive is a gruelling but spectacular one through the mountains the the village of the Mosou people, a matriarchal societal culture which is fascinating. We only had one night here but I could have spent more than this. The lake is lovely and the culture is so different is was a highlight of our time in Yunnan.
If you have any questions you think i can help you with please ask on this post.
regards,

messedup Jun 24th, 2005 01:35 PM

Thanks Keldar. I'll do some research on those hotels. Lake Lugu sounds great, but we only have three nights in Lijiang. I'm thinking of getting rid of Xian from our itinerary. (Bejing/Xian/Lijiang/Guilin/Shanghai)
What do you think?

keldar Jun 26th, 2005 04:13 PM

Hello again,
While I hesitate to advise you to drop Xi'an from your trip, if you had to leave off any of these places maybe that is the one. Having said that I love Xi'an and there are many more things to see than the Terra Cotta Warriors.
Is Shanghai your departure city from China back to your home city? How many days do you have there? I ask because perhaps you can leave off a day or two at the end in shanghai to fit in xi'an. You know your schedule and limitations best however.
Accepting the fact that you can't see everything on one trip is difficult isn't it?
Have a great time.
regards,

messedup Jun 26th, 2005 05:57 PM

Thanks for the help. Yup, we fly out of Shanghai back home, so I can't really fool with the last day or so.
Thanks again for the help.