Fodor's Travel Talk Forums

Fodor's Travel Talk Forums (https://www.fodors.com/community/)
-   Asia (https://www.fodors.com/community/asia/)
-   -   Lighthouse Hotel vs Saman Villas (https://www.fodors.com/community/asia/lighthouse-hotel-vs-saman-villas-460089/)

maxi Jul 15th, 2004 06:33 PM

Lighthouse Hotel vs Saman Villas

Has anyone stayed in either of these hotels in Sri Lanka? I would like to know if the beaches of these hotels are good for swimming and if they are nice.

I also would like to know something more about these hotels, in terms of quality, services, whether it is possible to go out to town to eat at night, etc.

Thanks.

kate1967 Jul 16th, 2004 11:41 PM

Hi Maxi, i stayed at both of these hotels 2 years ago, we did a week in each, both of them were of a high standard and i would find it hard to choose my favourite. The lighthouse has a much larger feel to it than saman. I didnt go in the sea at either place as it seemed rather rough, but both hotels have lovely infinity pools. saman is just up the road from bentota where there are a few places to eat, and there are always tuk - tuks or taxis outside the hotel. While we were at the lighthouse we were able to get a tuk tuk down to the next village ( 5 minute ride cant remember its name it began with h though)where there are plenty of beach side restaurants, that serve good food and cheap drinks. So over all i would choose the lighthouse for been able to eat out and its location to galle which is worth a visit and saman villas for its personalized service and quiet atmosphere, either way you wont go wrong.

maxi Jul 17th, 2004 04:47 AM

kate, thanks very much for your info, which is very useful. Do you remember if you saw people swimming in the sea when you're in these hotels?

kate1967 Jul 17th, 2004 11:42 PM

Hi Maxi, yes there were people swimming in the sea, but as i am not a strong swimmer i gave it a miss, i spoke to my husband as to which hotel he would choose if we went back to sri lanka and he said the lighthouse, due to its location and because it has a few restaurants to choose from.They also do a fab private bbq on the beach between the rocks.Let me know which hotel you choose and have a wonderful time, its a beautiful country.

maxi Jul 18th, 2004 03:19 PM

Kate, thanks again. I think we will try the Lighthouse, if there is availability and if the price is ok. The problem is we have only 8 to 10 days and we want to go to the beach, so we have to give up some of the more beautiful parts of the country. Staying in the Lighthouse will allow us to see Galle, at least. And we like to be able to go out to eat by the beach.

Thanks again.

sanjaym Aug 16th, 2004 04:39 AM

Yes the beaches are very good in both. Saman Villas has more privacy than Lighthouse.

You could even try Elephant Corridor in Sigiriya. Every suite has a private plunge pool.
Visit www.elephantcorridor.com

Mail me if you need more info.

Cheers!
Sanjay

hobbes Aug 16th, 2004 04:48 AM

U could also take a look at The Sun House and the Dutch House. Very boutiquey tho. The Cinammon Suite at the Sun House was voted by Conde Nast in 2003 as the most romantic suite in the world.

Archeeey Aug 17th, 2004 06:59 PM

I havent been to the Saman but the Lighthouse is an excellent hotel. Both have a good reputation and Im sure you would enjoy either.
I think the elephant corridor is better than either of them, but there is no sea anywhere near it. You can of course go all the way to Trinco where you would find some nice hotels with the finest beach in the island. I usually stay at the NilVali but the there are other good ones ( CLub Oceanic) as well..
I'm sorry I cant tell you about the roughness abou the sea near Lighhouse since I'm not in the country these days, but it wasnt that good couple of months ago. I would call my friends and find out for you.
But if your interested in swimming and Snorklling then I would say that Trinco is the best option.
Good Luck, and dont hesitate to ask anything more

01pat23 Aug 21st, 2004 04:21 PM

I don't think I would enjoy swimming in the sea at either of the hotels mentioned. Lighthouse is a really well designed hotel - blends in with the landscape and has a lovely pool.
A tuk-tuk from the hotel takes about 10 minutes to get to Unawatuna Beach which was excellent for swimming and there is a small cafe there which has a basic "changing room" hut and basic western toilet which you can use if eating at the cafe (excellent cheap sea-food). Sorry cannot remember name of cafe. Beach is, understandably, a bit crowded.

Pat