Fodor's Travel Talk Forums

Fodor's Travel Talk Forums (https://www.fodors.com/community/)
-   Asia (https://www.fodors.com/community/asia/)
-   -   Life resort vs. Victoria Hoi An (https://www.fodors.com/community/asia/life-resort-vs-victoria-hoi-an-504191/)

jodo Feb 15th, 2005 02:41 PM

Life resort vs. Victoria Hoi An

We plan on spending a few days in Hoi An in early April. the Victoria gets good reviews, but all that's left are expensive suites $210++ (no breakfast). Life Resort is new and near town. Anyone know of it? Thanks!
(Every time we travel to Asia, we feel like we're going with some of you who have been nice enough to share info.)

davhome Feb 16th, 2005 12:32 PM

We stayed at the Life Resort in Hoi An this last Christmas. It was only about 6 months old, which is probably why you have not read anything about it. I would VERY highly recommend it. The resort is right on the river. The rooms (I think all are suites) were lovely and spacious, the grounds were beautiful, the staff was extremely helpful, and the location is the BEST. Everything is within walking distance to town. We visited the Victoria, and were very happy with our decision to stay at the Life Resort.

jodo Feb 16th, 2005 02:42 PM

thank you so much for the input!

pat_woolford Feb 16th, 2005 07:14 PM

I second dayhome - we stayed at Hoi An life resort last April just after it opened, just lovely, peaceful and quiet, yet only a short walk into the town. Easily our best stop for a few days in Vietnam.

pat_woolford Feb 17th, 2005 04:00 AM

and I should have added, the management are interesting people, South African, and they can't do enough to help you enjoy your stay. The Vietnamese staff are just a joy. The resort has a boat which will take you down to the beach on the river, there's a little island on the river just opposite the resort where ducks are quacking away happily, the loudest noise you will hear. It makes a wonderful change from the constant din of motorbikes.

jodo Feb 17th, 2005 05:24 AM

Two More questions:
We were planning 3 nights in Hoi An (time to plop, time to learn, and time to shop). Now we're thinking of taking one day off Hanoi and staying 4 nights in Hoi An to see the countryside as well. Is that overkill?

jodo Feb 17th, 2005 05:30 AM

one more question: I haven't heard anything about the accomodations themselves (what rooms are like, any worth requesting...the grounds) at Life Resort. It sounds like it's the service and management that are the key qualities. Also, what about their restaurant. They offer a package that includes dinner. Worth it?

susiesan Feb 17th, 2005 08:19 AM

If you plan to have clothes made in Hoi An, you'll need 3 days for sure, possibly 4. We just kept ordering more andd more every time we picked up what was made. You can't believe how cheaply they can make great clothes for you. I loved Hoi An-best stop on our 2week Vietnam trip in Oct. 2003.

pat_woolford Feb 17th, 2005 02:42 PM

The rooms are also lovely, high ceilings, spacious with a tropical feel. Nicely understated decor with quiet verandahs. Our room faced the river, no, didn't think to request it especially. Great pool, too. The restaurant was fine, of course you can eat for a lot less by walking a few minutes into town - past all the tailor shops.

Kenstee Feb 18th, 2005 06:09 AM

If you want a beach the Victoria is a great option. It also affords a quiet refuge from town which we really enjoyed. HoiAn the city is nothing specisl to be honest. Maybe it was 10 years ago or so but it is pretty mucha tourist trap now.

As to the clothes. It's a myth. Inferior tailoring and inferior cloth at inflated prices compared to Hong Kong or Bangkok. If you really don't know cloth you will get ripped off as they happily substitute blends when they can. Most "pure silk" and "100% Cotton" they offer isn't. You might get some laughs seeing all the tourists in their ill-tailored clothes though! The bottom line is none of the hundreds of tailors there (I'm not kidding) are concerned about repeat purchase as the tourists come and go in a few days and probably don't return to HoiAn. So, it's OK for getting beach clothes or knock-around clothes that you don't care about that much. If you are a discriminating clothes buyer you will probably be quite disappointed with the results.

jodo Feb 18th, 2005 09:00 AM

thanks for the input....varying opinions help us to "see" a destination from different points of view. Has anyone traveled the countryside nearby Hoi An. Still trying to decide on 4 nights---vs 3 (gonna have to take one night from Hanoi to do it)

davhome Feb 18th, 2005 05:22 PM

In response to requesting a certain room at the Life Resort, the rooms directly on the river are lovely, but the river traffic starts pretty early in the morning, which can be quite noisy. If you are an early riser, this wouldn't be a problem. We actually asked to change rooms and was placed in a lovely room further back from the river that had a view of both the river and the lovely pool. Regarding how many days to stay in Hoi An, personally I wouldn't stay more than three. It has become quite a tourist town, with a limited number of things to see and do. We did a MAJOR shop-a-thon in Hanoi, so for us it was nice to be at the Life Resort and relax for several days. In my opinion, by the way, the shopping is much better in Hanoi than in Hue, Hoi An, or HCMC. The prices were the best as well. I agree with an earlier post that the tailors are not expecting repeat business, and even the "best" shops produced nothing special for us with questionable quality. The manager at the Life Resort (a very nice and helpful South African man whose name I cannot remember) has WONDERFUL dinner suggestions in town. Track him down when you are there. He doesn't push his restaurant. We did dine there one night, and it was very good. Enjoy!

davhome Feb 18th, 2005 05:57 PM

One more thing to add...You were wondering if you should cut your Hanoi trip short. I am not sure how long you were planning in Hanoi, but we were REALLY pleased with the way we travelled there. We had 4 days in and around Hanoi itself, which we could have EASILY extended. That may be because we loved the amazing shopping, and there is SO much to see--pagodas, museums, etc. We had a VERY long but enjoyable day to Halong Bay (perhaps we should have stayed overnite on a boat, but we didn't have the time). Probably one of the most memorable parts of the whole trip was taking an overnight train from Hanoi to Sapa. We did a day trek through the hills near Sapa walking through tiny villages. We brought with us a few shiny pencils and crayons, small toys (e.g. wooden cars, puzzles, jacks) to give to the children. They were so GENUINELY pleased and grateful. From Sapa we drove to the Sunday market in Bac Ha--a long car ride, but by far the most amazing cultural experience of the entire trip, and that is saying a lot! This was the one place where no one could care less that you were a tourist and didn't push to sell you things--this was a true social event for the different village tribes, as well as a place where they sold their produce, water buffalos, etc. I could have sat on a chair and watched the whole scene for several hours and never have gotten bored. Obviously, this part of our trip was quite amazing and I would highly suggest it. Good luck!

nan_49 Feb 18th, 2005 08:24 PM

Don't cut Hanoi short for Hoi An -- it is an interesting city, but there are many more attractions in and around Hanoi.

jodo Feb 18th, 2005 08:46 PM

Thanks for all the advice. Think we'll do 3 nights in Hoi An...a bit of a break sandwiched between Hanoi and Beijing. Feeling much better about Hanoi now too. (Frommers suggested only spending 2 days in Hanoi itself--even on 5 or 10 itineraries--and going on excursions the rest of the time...not a great testimonial to the city) We're looking forward to it all now. Had to laugh at the comment about all the tourists in Hoi An walking around in ill-fitting clothes. Kinda like the tourists in Jamaica all wearing those silly island hairdos--braided like Bo Derek without the face or features to pull it off!!

pat_woolford Feb 19th, 2005 02:33 PM

jodo - suppose it depends on the tailor you strike, I had 5 outfits made in Hoi An, the fit and fabric are fine, but the the finish is woeful. Very skimpy facings which unravel, different coloured thread on seams to fabric - the tailor shops are quite dimly lit so take anything outside before you OK it. I did much better in Hanoi where didn't need to have anything made as found plenty of choice, particularly linens, off the peg.

jodo Feb 20th, 2005 01:47 PM

As long as we're talking about having clothes made, I have had this dream of purchasing (or having made) some clothes the style of those in Crouching Tiger----When I was in HK 4 years ago, I couldn't find a single thing that resembled those beautiful designs. This time we're in Beijing, Hanoi and Hoi An. Anybody know of where that decorative style can be found (without paying an arm and a leg)?

zulu Mar 4th, 2006 01:38 PM

Jodo,
My wife and I stayed at the Life Resort in November and would highly recommend it. The amenities are fabulous and its location on the water and adjacent to the town are ideal. We also visited the Victoria but did not like its isolation being 10 klms from Hoian. You will love Hoian.....cheers zulu

Mitch04 Mar 5th, 2006 09:40 PM

I have also seen people praising the Lotus Resort and the Riverside Resort......I am sure you can find them, and reviews, on tripadvisor.com

They are certainly cheaper...