Fodor's Travel Talk Forums

Fodor's Travel Talk Forums (https://www.fodors.com/community/)
-   Asia (https://www.fodors.com/community/asia/)
-   -   Le Merdien Hotel (https://www.fodors.com/community/asia/le-merdien-hotel-592150/)

peppersalt Feb 18th, 2006 06:29 AM

Le Merdien Hotel

Has anyone stayed at the Meridien Hotel on Orchard Rd. Will be staying there in May for four nites,I'm just looking for other peoples' ratings of this hotel. Thanks

valtor Feb 18th, 2006 07:13 AM

I suppose that you are speaking about Singapore, but how can I be sure?

Kathie Feb 18th, 2006 07:37 AM

I haven't stayed there recently. Last I saw it, it was very worn. Unless they've done a full remodel in the last year and a half, I'd avoid this hotel.

peppersalt Feb 18th, 2006 09:27 AM

Thanks for the info. Can you suggest any other hotel on Orchard Rd. of good quality, I am paying $143US/per night, including breakfast. Always thought Le Meridien was a class hotel. Have time to change as I am going in May, would like a good updated hotel and similar amenities. Again thank you for your help, people on this forum are just great and have given me some good advise. Peppersalt

valtor Feb 18th, 2006 10:47 AM

We stayed at Phoenix. It is near Meridien. Has big rooms, is clean, the buffet breakfast is good. Has a tourist desk inside. It is not luxury, but it is clean. I think that we paid ~ 90 US$ / night.

Kathie Feb 18th, 2006 11:35 AM

The Hyatt which is a block off of Orchard on Scotts Road would be a good option. There is a Marriott on the corner above Tangs - I'm not sure about the quality of those rooms, though. Check with one of the good booking sites like www.asiahotels.com and look for places in your price range. Then come back with any questions you have.

TracyB Feb 18th, 2006 12:14 PM

We stayed at the Le Meridien, but it was about 5 years ago now...And we really liked it..IT was in a really good location and had a food court downstairs..Plus the breakfasts were awsesome, the rooms were clean and hugeNo complaints whatsoever..But that was 5 yearrs ago

Lindsey Feb 18th, 2006 04:57 PM

I attended a conference there about a month ago and the public spaces were looking pretty tired. Did not see the sleeping rooms, as I live in Singpapore. For US$143 you can do a lot better.
Check out Traders Hotel (run by the Shangri la people) at the other end of Orchard. The Orchard Hotel is also a good location and very reasonable.

peppersalt Feb 19th, 2006 02:37 PM

Thanks everyone, really appreciate your imputs, will look into another hotel, a friend of mine stayed at the Meritus Mandarin and said it was very nice. What's your opinion.

Lesg Mar 3rd, 2006 04:44 AM

The Le Meridien look's jaded and worn out and that's from the outside.I haven't been inside and it doesn't tempt me to do so.
I would stay in the Marina area,nicer,better shopping,more restaurants...
I'm just back from staying at the Ritz Carlton,in the Marina area,but all hotels there look nice.
Give Le Meridien a miss.