Fodor's Travel Talk Forums

Fodor's Travel Talk Forums (https://www.fodors.com/community/)
-   Asia (https://www.fodors.com/community/asia/)
-   -   Lcuy needs help with Aug India trip.. (https://www.fodors.com/community/asia/lcuy-needs-help-with-aug-india-trip-536003/)

lcuy Jun 11th, 2005 04:22 PM

Lcuy needs help with Aug India trip..

I've got my RTW tickets, but am having a bear of a time trying to figure out a route for my 8 days in India.

At first, I thought I'd just steal Craig and Jeans's trip, but found out that Ranthambore Park is closed in August, so I've actually got to make some decisions. I've been reading all my guidebooks and the posts here, but just can't seem to zero in on any specifics.

(A little background...I've travelled a lot, know it will be brutally hot, and will be with my 20 year old daughter. I like odd trips; We loved the bicycling tour in Bangkok, have done horse trekking, etc. I can blow off the touts and haggle with the best of them, but that does get old, and I do worry a little about safety when on the road or in the air)

Here's what I've got so far:
8/22 arrive in Delhi 11:25 pm

-Can we go straight to Agra at this hour?
Is it possible to take the train at this hour or should we fly? or must we wait till the morning to start?

8/23 Depending on our arrival time, we plan to see the fort during the day, with a TAj visit at sunrise. We'll spend that night at Amarvilas.

8/24 Go back for a morning visit to Taj, then leave Agra.

*****Here is where I am stuck. I really don't want to spend all our time commuting, so Jaipur seems like the midway spot to spend a few days before heading back to Delhi.

But...is there a better option? How about Sariska Tiger Reserve or Udaipur?

Will we see anything of the country from the train or is a car and driver the way to get back to Delhi?

Or will I be too terrified of the driving to enjoy the scenery?

I have reservations at the Imperial Hotel in Delhi 8/24- 8/30 (only $129 with breakfast!) but think the 26th to 30th (late night departure) would be enough time there.

Have gathered a bunch of ideas for shopping in Delhi, but would love to hear your favorite sightseeing stops.

Thanks in advance,

Lucy

Craig Jun 11th, 2005 04:55 PM

Well, I'm flattered that you like our itinerary. Why don't you have a driver meet you at the airport to take you to Agra? I'd personally forget about seeing the Taj at sunrise the "next" day and just take it easy - maybe do the fort and the Baby Taj. Then get up early, see the Taj at sunrise and head to Fatephur Sikri and then to Jaipur. Amarvilas is great, the only place to stay in Agra. You need 3 nights, 2 full days in Jaipur to do the palace and Amber Fort. Then you can head to Delhi - maybe by train. Don't be afraid of the driving - you will see SO MUCH and it is so worthwhile just to observe every day life in India. Since you have seen our trip report, I will await your questions on this forum.

lcuy Jun 11th, 2005 06:20 PM

Thanks Craig. I really don't want to have to deal with the train station in the middle of the night, so a pre-arranged car would be nice... Compass Tours arranged your cars, didn't they? You don't remember how to contact them directly do you?

rv224 Jun 11th, 2005 07:08 PM

Most major hotels in Delhi can arrange a day trip or overnight trip to Agra for you.

hobbes Jun 11th, 2005 08:21 PM

Def get a car and driver to take you from the airport directly to Agra. TRain is not an option that time of night. I agree with Craig - spend your first morning decompressing and enjoying Amar Vilas and do the Taj by sunrise the next morning. Check in advance if you are making it for the full moon nights when the Taj is open at night. For some offbeat options take a look at www.neemranahotels.com - they have some properties you may like. You could mail [email protected] for a quote for organizing car transfers and guides.

Craig Jun 12th, 2005 02:30 AM

Contact is Durjay Sengupta at Compass Tours. His e-mail is:
[email protected]
Compass arranged our car and driver. They can also reserve the train from Jaipur to Delhi if you want as well as guides for Agra, Jaipur and Delhi. If you have them make all of the arrangements, you may be able to send your luggage ahead with the driver from Jaipur so you don't have to deal with it on the train. Someone from Compass would meet you at the train in Delhi. Driving Jaipur - Delhi is the other option but it is good to experience the train. I do recommend that you use a guide to see the sites whether you use Compass Tours or not.

austine Jun 13th, 2005 10:18 PM

Hi lcuy. How did you get the Imperial Hotel for $129 per night. Did you use an agency or did you deal with the hotel directly?

lcuy Jun 14th, 2005 09:39 AM

I got it on the hotel site just a few days ago...if you stay 4 or more days, its $129 per night.

I just got an email from Compass regarding driver/guide and hotels for some of my other nights. I have to study it a bit- it has me staying at the Rambaugh Palace in Jaipur, which I don't think I want- to see if they work. I do like the idea of having them ready when I arrive though!

Craig Jun 14th, 2005 09:50 AM

If you don't want the Rambagh just tell them - Compass will customize your itinerary to however you want it.

Rajhelp50 Jun 15th, 2005 07:39 PM

Hi Lucy,

The Imperial is a fantastic hotel and you have the best rates from them! However, do check with the Hotel directly - hopefully your rates will remain the same, but a recheck is always recommended.

Compass is a reliable operator but the hotels they recommend depend upon the client profile. If you stay at the Imperial and the Amar Vilas, it is natural for them to suggest a matching hotel in Jaipur!

You could also try to contact Lily at www.jasvilas.com. She runs a beautiful family hotel and can also advise you on car rates.