Fodor's Travel Talk Forums

Fodor's Travel Talk Forums (https://www.fodors.com/community/)
-   Asia (https://www.fodors.com/community/asia/)
-   -   LCCT to KL Sentral or 1Utama? (https://www.fodors.com/community/asia/lcct-to-kl-sentral-or-1utama-978453/)

jlaughs May 19th, 2013 07:03 PM

LCCT to KL Sentral or 1Utama?

Hello,
I am trying to book tickets from Bangkok to Kuala Lumpur on Air Asia. I am confused about the bus choice from LCCT to either KL Sentral or 1Utama. I may be completely wrong, but from what I've read, I think Air Asia being a discount airline will fly into LCCT. Although it is considered a 'terminal', it is actually like a different airport, so you need to take the bus. I am so confused. Do we go through customs at LCCT? If not, we can go directly to 1Utama on a bus even though 1Utama is a shopping mall? Do we go to KL Sentral to go through customs, then find transportation to the city?

Thank you,
Judy

jlaughs May 19th, 2013 07:44 PM

Okay, I've been continuing to read and my original post shows just how confused I am. KL Sentral is the TRAIN station, not an airport, right? So, I guess my new question is whether it's better (cheaper, more convenient) to take the Skybus from LCCT to either KL Sentral or 1Utama to ultimately get to the Petronas Towers area. Or is there transportation other than taxis from LCCT? I'm assuming taxis would be on the more expensive side.

Thanks,
Judy

JannaG May 19th, 2013 08:50 PM

If you took the Skybus from LCCT to KL Sentral, you could change to the LRT and alight at the KLCC stop (Petronas Twin Towers). 1 Utama is a shopping mall in the suburbs and would not be your choice.

But I recommend a taxi from LCCT direct to your destination in KL. Save the hassle and the cost should be around US$35 or so.

Geordie May 19th, 2013 09:21 PM

Never flown from or to LCCT but its attached to the normal KL airport KLIA, therefore you can take the express train from KLIA to Sentral

JannaG May 19th, 2013 10:03 PM

LCCT is NOT "attached" to KLIA. It is a good 20-minute bus ride away.

jlaughs May 19th, 2013 11:14 PM

Thank you JannaG & Geordie. Yes, I read that LCCT is not connected to the international airport. My mistake was thinking that KL Sentral was the main airport.

JannaG, do you know how much the train would cost from KL Sentral to the area closest to the Doubletree by Hilton Kuala Lumpur? Is taking the train a hassle? I can buy the ticket for the bus from LCCT to KL Sentral for less than $3 USD. Would it make any sense to take the bus to KL Sentral, then a taxi to our hotel?

Thank you!

JannaG May 19th, 2013 11:57 PM

The train from KL Sentral is actually the light rail (LRT) and could be really cramped with commuters depending on the hour you're travelling.

The hotel website has this information:

"At the train station [KL Sentral], switch to the Rapid KL LRT train arriving at Ampang Park station and follow the covered bridge to the hotel."

Taxi fare from KL Sentral to your hotel really depends on traffic and the goodwill of your taxi driver. Best to go inside to the taxi counter and purchase a taxi coupon instead of hailing a random one at the bus stop when you alight.

jlaughs May 20th, 2013 12:03 AM

Thank you!

Geordie May 20th, 2013 12:15 AM

JannaG, KLIA is the airport where the Air Asia planes land and take-off as a result LCCT must be attached to it, (the same way terminals 1,2,3,4,5 are attached to Heathrow)

JannaG May 20th, 2013 12:43 AM

Hi Geordie - For your future travel information:

http://www.airasia.com/ask/template.do?id=492

Geordie May 20th, 2013 01:21 AM

Hi JannaG, there is only one airport at that location (KUL), I am well aware its a separate terminal, that's why they call it KLIA LCC Terminal

I think the link you provided is confusing you, they are referring to the departure and arrival areas for Air Asia are not at the KLIA Main Terminal Building, instead they are at the LCC Terminal

Air Asia most definitely fly from and to KLIA

Kathie May 20th, 2013 06:10 AM

From the Air Asia website:

"ALL domestic and international AirAsia flights operate out of KL LCCT. LCCT stands for Low Cost Carrier Terminal and is approximately 15-20 minutes by road from KLIA (Kuala Lumpur International Airport) Main Terminal Building. "

Geordie, there is only one airport code, but the two terminals are quite far apart, not at all like the various terminals at Heathrow.

meicarlyn May 20th, 2013 06:34 AM

Hello,

LCCT is the airport.

From the LCCT airport, you can take the bus to KL Sentral (which is the hub for trains) or 1 UTAMA (A major shopping mall).

To get to KL city area, buy the SKYBUS ticket from LCCT to KL sentral. From KL sentral, you will walk up a flight of stairs and be greeted by mcdonalds on your left. Walk straight to the RAPID LRT counter to buy your train tickets to the KLCC LRT station.

You will reach Petronas Twin Towers that way. :)

meicarlyn May 20th, 2013 06:35 AM

Suria KLCC (the shopping mall which you will see when you get out of the KLCC LRT STATION) is attached to the Petronas twin towers.

Geordie May 20th, 2013 02:21 PM

LCCT is the airport - No its not

<<Geordie, there is only one airport code, but the two terminals are quite far apart, not at all like the various terminals at Heathrow.>>

Please refer to the following times to connect between terminals at Heathrow,

http://www.heathrowairport.com/heath...ween-terminals

Terminal 1 to Terminal 4 20 mins by Heathrow express
Terminal 1 to Terminal 5 20 mins by Heathrow express (16 mins if you take the underground)

Anyhow I'm done

jlaughs May 20th, 2013 06:31 PM

Sorry to have created so much controversy. It's easy to see why all the information available can be confusing. I think TripAdvisor explains it pretty well --
http://www.tripadvisor.com/Travel-g2....And.Lcct.html

In any case, thank you to all for responding. I have booked our flight from Bangkok to KL and purchased our Skybus tickets to KL Sentral.

Meicarlyn, thank you for the very specific instructions on how to get to Petronas Towers. I'm copying it down for our later reference.

JannaG, thank you for the directions on the Doubletree website. Should have thought to look there myself, but my brain was so befuddled with all the choices and not understanding the one airport/two airports and mixing it all up with the train station that I just didn't think to look on the hotel website.

Thanks all!! I'm sure I'll be back with more questions. Thailand feels easy. Singapore feels easy, but for some reason, Malaysia is intimidating me. :-)

Kathie May 20th, 2013 06:33 PM

Malaysia is actually very easy. You'll see when you get there.

filmwill May 20th, 2013 08:10 PM

<<Never flown from or to LCCT>>

Kind of says everything you need to know.