Go Back  Fodor's Travel Talk Forums > Destinations > Asia
Reload this Page >

LAX-Tokyo Singapore Airlines Package-Good Deal?

Search

Search this Thread

Old Feb 2nd, 2011, 02:22 PM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

This deal popped up on my radar today:
$1249 pp. includes airfare, 5 nights at Hilton Tokyo hotel (in Shinjuku), transfers and half day tour.
It requires double occupancy.
For my dates in April (week before Easter), it would be $1434 per person which is the rate above plus a $125 "airport tax" and additional $60 for weekend travel.

It looks pretty good to me considering that the airfare for my dates is $965. That leaves $469 per person for hotel, airport transfers and 1/2 day tour.
The transfer is by "limo-bus" which is normally $36 per person each way, direct to hotel.
The hotel's current lowest rate on their website is $397 per night, prepaid.

So, the numbers look good right?

My questions are:
1. Is this a good hotel in a good location?

2. Could we do better on our own finding 5 nights hotel in Tokyo for a total of $794 ($158 per night)? This is the difference between the airfare plus transfers and the package cost for two people.

Also, another advantage is that the travel agent said I can split the hotel dates to 3 at the beginning of the trip and 2 at the end. We are considering going to Kyoto for 3 nights in the middle (though this might be cost prohibitive).

Thanks in advance for any advice!
Old Feb 2nd, 2011, 02:45 PM

Sounds like a good deal to me. I checked the rates at the "B hotel in Roppongi, a hotel I like in an area I really like, and it was runnning about $143 a night with a special rate on Agoda.com.

I've never stayed at this Hilton, but have visited the lobby once. The main disadvantage to me is that its quite a long walk to the subway.
Old Feb 2nd, 2011, 03:45 PM

I usually stay across the street from the Hilton at the Hyatt so have been to the Hilton many times. You are getting a very good deal imho. Actually The Hilton has a subway entrance in the basement level that is only a two minute walk away from the Nishi-Shinjuku subway station on the Maronuchi Line. I think lcuy is talking about the walk from Shinjuku Station.

The Hilton also has a free shuttle bus to and from Shinjuku Station every 15 minutes. If you know the short route it is only a ten minute walk to Shinjuku Station. Most people make the mistake of walking through Nishi Shinjuku to get to the Hilton or the Hyatt when there is a direct and shorter route.

Lots of good places to eat in the area including Misono which is across the street from the Hilton in the Sumitomo Blg on the 47th or 48th floor with killer views of Tokyo at night. There is also our favorite Japanese atmospheric home-style restaurant to eat at in Japan just a couple of blocks away at Le Coup Chou.

You will be there at a good time of year and there might still be some blossoms up north if you are interested. A little Kyoto would be nice too! No hesitation from me here, I would go in a heartbeat. You might even see filmwill in Tokyo somewhere around that time.

Aloha!
Old Feb 2nd, 2011, 03:55 PM
Original Poster

Thanks! I was hoping both of you (and others) would reply. HT, I'm glad you said that about the subway; I thought I'd read there was one very close to the hotel.

From what I can tell, train tickets to Kyoto are about $165 each way. So that would be $660 r/t for the 2 of us for 3 nights there. Is there a cheaper way to get there? Can we go to Osaka while there too? Yes, I know I need to do some research, but I have to decide on some of this before I buy the package.

Instead of going to Kyoto, what about other options which might be less expensive for 3 nights outside of Tokyo? Keep in mind I've never been to Japan before.

Gosh, if we do this I am totally unprepared! I'm going to need all the Fodorite help I can get.
Old Feb 2nd, 2011, 04:08 PM

You can get a 7 day jr pass for 28,300 yen per person and use for all your rail travel in Japan. http://www.japan-guide.com/e/e2361.html

Yes as a foodie you should not miss Osaka, also know as the "kitchen of Japan".

Hakone is another option but you should do Kyoto imho

Ask away!!!

Aloha!
Old Feb 2nd, 2011, 04:11 PM

buses are another option

http://willerexpress.com/bus/pc/3/to...14bus2?aid=184
Old Feb 2nd, 2011, 04:30 PM

http://www.japanican.com/special/shinkansen/

Above is a link to tours from Tokyo to Kyoto that include the Shinkansen and hotel which are much cheaper than doing it separately - this was discussed here quite recently....
Old Feb 2nd, 2011, 05:42 PM

You've never been to Japan? Buy this trip now!

I like your idea of a couple days in Tokyo, then Kyoto and back to Tokyo. There are a lot of great spots closer to Tokyo, but Kyoto is so... Japan.

Here is my number one hint for foodies going to Japan: Take a collapsable insulated bag or two. Put some tupperware containers and ziplock bags in it. Fill with food and check in on the flight on your way home. You are going to go into the food floor on the bottom of a Depato and go CRAZY if you can't bring some of the stuff home!
Old Feb 2nd, 2011, 08:18 PM

Go for it! Come see us in Japan! How crazy would it be if we were there at the same time? Our final leg of our trip is in Tokyo from the 21st to the 25th. Hoping we see you two there. Would be a total blast.

All that AND you'd get to fly on Singapore's A380 (like us.) Sounds like a great deal. DO IT!!
Old Feb 2nd, 2011, 08:27 PM
Original Poster

Ok, I'm very close to pulling the trigger. It's just the cost which is giving me pause.

I looked at those packages on japanican, but for our dates, we'd be hard pressed to find anything less than $1000 for the two of us just for train tickets and 3 nights hotel in either Kyoto or Osaka.

But then I looked at spg.com and there are Westins in both Kyoto and Osaka where I get get a room for 4000 points plus $60 a night. There's also a Sheraton in Osaka which would only be 2800 points plus $45. So we have some options to save a little money. Anyone know anything about these hotels?

HT- If we buy a jr pass where else/how can we make use of it? Will it really be beneficial given that we're not going to be able to do much more than Tokyo-Kyoto-Osaka-Tokyo?

Lcuy- I like the way you think! I may have to do that!
Old Feb 2nd, 2011, 08:30 PM
Original Poster

FW- I was writing when you posted. Our paths just may cross. I will email you.
Old Feb 3rd, 2011, 05:56 AM

>>>LAX-Tokyo Singapore Airlines Package-Good Deal?<<<

Warm greetings Kristina and filmwill, and will say this Chinese New Year is off to the Best start! Nothing like flying with those sensational Singapore Girls...

Have you flown SQ before? If not, be prepared for some joyous and uplifting times. And, flying on a magnificent A380! I've flown SQ's 380s on SIN-HKG and SIN-NRT sectors and it is so wonderfully quiet and serene. Would suggest getting into the whole pre-SQ flight experience via singaporeair.com and the delightfully informative SQTalk.com

Can't help with your hotel option, as have stayed at just the Park Hyatt (work) and Peninsula (leisure). Love both of those places and suspect you will be just fine wherever you stay.

Kyoto is great fun. If you like to shop, could give more info re a certain 'Mr. Kita' who runs a fine place, complete with some photos of my rather far-flung family.

Have fun planning. I'm still of the belief "it's the journey, not the destination" (old mountaineering days creed), so should you go SIA, savour your trans-pac rides with some rather special crews.

All the best and warm New Year greetings to all!

macintosh (robert)

... Singapore Girl, You're a Great Way to Fly ...
Old Feb 3rd, 2011, 06:00 AM

Your fares as I see them
Shinjuku-Tokyo Station 190 yen p/p(or you can go to Shinagawa)
Tokyo-Kyoto(Hikari shinkansen) 13220 yen p/p
Kyoto-Osaka 2930 yen p/p
Osaka-Kyoto 2930 yen p/p
Kyoto-Tokyo 13220 yen p/p
Total = 32,680 yen p/p

JR 7 day ordinary pass is 28,300 yen p/p so savings there already. Any thing else you use it for is a plus

We have used lcuy's suggestions several times now since she mentioned to us at a gtg and are very happy campers when we shop now. Most depato vendors will have insulated bags and little frozen ice packets that will keep your food for up to 36 hours and they will wrap it this way for free, just ask.

Click, click, click......is that a trigger I hear in the distance?

Aloha!
Old Feb 3rd, 2011, 07:52 AM

GO FOR IT!!
Old Feb 3rd, 2011, 07:53 AM

Hotels:

You should stay in Kyoto at the Westin if available. Closer to the sites and sounds in Kyoto with easy access available.

The Westin in Osaka is near the JR Osaka station in Umeda. You can see it from the south exit of the station. They have shuttle buses to and from the station. Never seen the Sheraton Osaka.
Old Feb 3rd, 2011, 08:28 AM

There are cheaper direct trains from Tokyo to Kyoto about 8,480 yen p/p but takes about 7 hours. You can leave at 8 am and get there before 3 pm.

http://www.jnto.go.jp/eng/arrange/at..._kyoto_01.html

http://www.jnto.go.jp/eng/arrange/at..._kyoto_02.html

But the shinkansen is the way to go, just giving you all the options available.
Old Feb 3rd, 2011, 08:55 AM

<<Kyoto is great fun. If you like to shop, could give more info re a certain 'Mr. Kita' who runs a fine place, complete with some photos of my rather far-flung family.>>

I just spit out my coffee. Thanks for the laugh, AO. I look forward to giving a full report on my virginal (a term you know nothing about) trip on Singapore Air!
Old Feb 3rd, 2011, 09:56 AM

Kristina- Where did you find this deal? A friend of mine, in Calif is very interested too.
Old Feb 3rd, 2011, 11:09 AM
Original Poster

A credit card deposit has been given. Trigger is half-cocked.
Waiting on hotel confirmations but the travel agent said it should not be an issue as they haven't sold a lot of these packages yet.
One thing that bothers me is that we can't pick our seats until 48 hours before the flight. As soon as we get the actual tickets I will call SQ to confirm. I really want to try and get on the upper deck where the seats are 2x4x2.

lcuy- I first heard about it on twitter, via the LA Times travel section tweets. But tell your friend to go to the Singapore Airlines VACATIONS website; http://www.singaporeairlinesvacation...-tokyo-package.

HT, I'm not sure the savings is enough to justify the longer time on the train. Plus, I know my husband and he'll want to take the bullet train.

Thanks for the advice on the hotels. I'm thinking 1 night in Osaka and 2 in Kyoto. Any reason not to do it that way? Should we stay all 3 in one place? Or 2 in Osaka, 1 in Kyoto?
Old Feb 3rd, 2011, 01:24 PM

<i>Trigger is half-cocked.</i>

What has Roy Rogers been feeding him?

<i>I'm thinking 1 night in Osaka and 2 in Kyoto. Any reason not to do it that way?</i>

My preference would be all 3 nights in Kyoto. It's hardly as if you will run out of things to do and see. While I'd gladly spend time in either city, I think that Kyoto has a great deal more to offer a 1st-timer in Japan. And while Osaka is renowned for its food, it's not as if you'd be headed to a soup kitchen in Kyoto.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Do Not Sell or Share My Personal Information -