Go Back  Fodor's Travel Talk Forums > Destinations > Asia
Reload this Page >

laurieco's itinerary is finally set. any gems off the beaten tourist path we shouldn't miss in Thailand/Java?

Search

laurieco's itinerary is finally set. any gems off the beaten tourist path we shouldn't miss in Thailand/Java?

Search this Thread

Old Mar 2nd, 2006, 01:58 PM
Original Poster

Received 8 Likes on 4 Posts

I finally have my Indonesia/Thailand trip set. All flights and hotels have been reserved and now I'm just waiting (impatiently) for the day to come. This is how it will go:

May 18: noon flight, JFK to Bangkok, non-stop

May 19: arrive BKK, 4:10pm overnight at Asia Airport hotel but will go into town for a good dinner (provided we're not too wiped out)

May 20: 7:55am flight to Jakarta, arrive 11:25; 1:25pm flight to Yogya (yes, I know it's cutting it close but I'm putting my trust in Thai that they will get us there in time) Arrive Yogya 2:25pm. 4 nights at the Dunsun Yogya Inn.

May 24: Amanjiwo, will hang out at the hotel to get our money's worth ($693 for one night, no breakfast included!!!)

May 25: sunrise at Borobudur; Back to the Dunsun later in the day; Dunsun for the next two nights

May 27: 7:40am Garuda flight to Jakarta, arriving (hopefully) at 8:40am; 12:45pm Thai flight to Bangkok; arrive BKK 4:20, hire car and driver at airport to drive us to Hua Hin, 3 nights at the Sofitel Central Hua Hin

May 30: drive back to BKK; 5 nights at the Peninsula

We have hired Tong for June 1st and 2nd. We will be going to the Prasart with her as well as doing some things to make merit (alms to monks, buying coffins for unclaimed bodies)

June 5: 12:40am flight to JFK :'(

Now my question: is there anything we shouldn't miss in any of these places? Things that wouldn't be in a guidebook? This is going to be our 5th trip to BKK but the last few times, we really didn't do much sightseeing. We've also been to Hua Hin (in 1998) but I was sick as a dog when we were there and barely left the hotel. I'm open to any and all suggestions for sights, food, shopping, etc. So, what do you say?
Old Mar 2nd, 2006, 04:21 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Laurie, your trip sounds great! I was going to recommend the Prasart, but I see it's already on your list.

At Hua Hin, relax and enjoy yourselves. If you want an out of this world spa experience, schedule a half day or full day at the Civa Som. You'll understand why it so often gets voted the best destination spa in the world! For restaurants, try La Mer, on a hillside overlooking Hua Hin - great Thai seafood.

I do have some recommendations for you in Jogja:
In addition to Borobudor, so visit Prambanan and go to a performance of the Ramayana Ballet in the open air pavillion nearby. Consider a drive to Dieng Plateau or, in the other direction, to some temples on a hillside past Solo. I'll have to look up the names. Visit the Kraton at Jogja.

Jogja has the best craft shopping of anyplace I've been. I'll find the name of a special shop for you, but I'll have to consult my journal. Lots of places in Jogja had very high quality local crafts.
Old Mar 2nd, 2006, 04:43 PM
Original Poster

Kathie, thanks so much for the recommendations. If you could find the name of that shop, I would appreciate it.

It's funny, everytime I thought of adding another destination, I imagined you telling me "don't do it!" so I pared down my original plans to spend enough time in each place, except the Amanjiwo--too expensive! I think I've ended up with a good plan. Besides, Eric absolutely hates moving around too much.

The Civa Som sounds heavenly, but what will I do with Eric while I'm there? He's not one for massages and treatments. I suppose I could park him at the pool at the Sofitel.

I'm sure In Yogya (is it Yogya or Jogia, I've seen it both ways) we'll be doing trips to many ruins and I want to do a day trip to Solo as well. I'm really looking forward to this vacation. The best part is, when we get home, I only have 2 and 1/2 months until the next one-- we leave for Bali on August 28!
Old Mar 2nd, 2006, 04:49 PM

I don't recall whether you have taken that JFK-BKK flight before Laurie but we were pretty tired when we got to Bangkok. The problem is that the flight is mostly during waking hours - we were only able to get about 5-6 hours of sleep at the end of the flight. It may be a waste to go into town for dinner.
Old Mar 2nd, 2006, 06:02 PM
Original Poster

Welcome home Craig! We haven't taken that flight and you're right, leaving at noon, I don't know how much sleep we'll be able to get. I guess we'll just play it by ear. If we're really tired, we won't go into town and just have dinner at the hotel instead. I guess we won't know until we get there.
Old Mar 2nd, 2006, 06:50 PM

james recently suggested another restaurant or two to me near to the spa that kathie sings the praises of in HH...i will dig them out for you before you go....remind me if i don't send them....la mer is great if for nothing more than the nightly view

not much to do really in HH...relax
Old Mar 2nd, 2006, 10:58 PM

We should habve bveen on the road down to HH by now but some very unseasonable rain has appeared so we are holding off until tomorrow.
Hua Hin has boomed in the last year or so, there are lots of new restaurants, I'll do a list for you.
2 new japanese restaurants opened, one is actualy just outside the Sofitel.
"Let's Sea" near the Hyatt is stylish and trendy, excellent food and superb service, right on the waters edge.
Also new resorts, but strict controls it retains it's charms, it has 'woken up' a bit more to tourism, still the old wooden houses around the fishing piers with quaint(sp?) side streets an oldy world shops, but now more in the way of cooking classes, elephant village, and people are discovering the large number of temples around, plus some historic centuries old shrines in the hills near town.
They have just opened the town's first mega mall which we plan on seeing, between Marriott and Hyatt.
You can still enjoy 'Afternoon tea' at the Sofitel and ride a rickshaw up to the old rail station for pics and see the old steam loco, so the old world charm is still there. Still the local night markets and monkeys at Khao Takiab.
But the 'tout free' benefit and regulated/fixed reasonable cab/tuk tuk fares and cheap local songthaew make it very nice.
There's also a new spa walking distance from Sofitel, sorry don't know the name but will try and get it this w/end.

As kathie said the Chiva Som is superb but you don't have to stay there to enjoy the Spa and treatments ( rooms still in the USD 500-1,500 range ) but you can use their spa. Hyatt regency also has goo0d one, cheaper one also at Kaban Tamor and S'Mor Spa past the Hyatt.
Old Mar 3rd, 2006, 03:34 AM
Original Poster

James, thanks for those suggestions. You probably know more about Hua Hin than anyone on this forum so any recommendations you have are much appreciated.
Old Mar 3rd, 2006, 04:41 AM

Laurie-When you're at the Sofitel, I suggest that you (or Eric) get up early and reserve two nice lounge chairs. We liked spots on the lawn near the pool best. Also, the restaurant in the Sofitel annex was quite good (not great, but certainly worth a try). We liked the fried fish in Tamarind Sauce.
Old Mar 3rd, 2006, 04:49 AM
Original Poster

Andy, when we were at the Sofitel back in 1998, we also liked the lounge chairs on the lawn at the main pool. I'm really looking forward to going back there and hopefully being healthy this time! It's such a lovely hotel.
Old Mar 3rd, 2006, 05:02 AM

The trip looks awesome, Laurie. I'm sure you'll have a wonderful time. The planning is half the fun, isn't it? :-B
Old Mar 3rd, 2006, 05:27 AM

L-the massages at the Sofitel are not bad. As I recall, they had a good last day package.
Old Mar 3rd, 2006, 09:07 AM

Laurie, the name of the place in Jogja is Saptohudoyo located at Jl. Solo km. 9. Remarkable high end crafts and antiques.
Old Mar 3rd, 2006, 11:03 AM
Original Poster

Thanks Kathie, I'll be sure to check it out. I'm always looking for nice things to buy, though I'm running out of places to put them!