Fodor's Travel Talk Forums

Fodor's Travel Talk Forums (https://www.fodors.com/community/)
-   Asia (https://www.fodors.com/community/asia/)
-   -   Latest views on the Madarin Oriental in Tokyo? (https://www.fodors.com/community/asia/latest-views-on-the-madarin-oriental-in-tokyo-711456/)

windance Jun 7th, 2007 03:19 PM

Latest views on the Madarin Oriental in Tokyo?

How does it compare to others, e.g., in states (SF, DC, NY)? Bangkok? What is the walking time to Tokyo Station? Any comparisons with the 4 Seasons Maronouchi or the Park Hyatt, which were both fabulous 4 years ago? I'm traveling alone for pleasure for a week next month. I had thought Tokyo Station was the most convenient station for getting anywhere, and for shopping, so I was looking for a nice hotel near there for this trip.

KimJapan Jun 7th, 2007 03:48 PM

It's a very nice property and gets very good reviews on flyertalk.com and tripadvisor.com, though tripadvisor isn't so reliable imo.

Near just about any station in Tokyo is fine location. The MO is as close as you can get to Mitsukoshimae Station on the Ginza line. The location is very good. No need at all to be around Tokyo station exactly, as it's not the most interesting or happening area anyway.

In the same class, the new Ritz Carlton has a great location, with direct access to Roppongi station. It deserves consideration as well I think if you are going for luxury.

W9London Jun 8th, 2007 05:12 AM

MO to Tokyo Station would be around 15min walk. Make sure you exit out of Yaesu side, not Marunouchi side. An easy taxi ride, probably around 800yen. The hotel is in the middle of not-too-fancy office areas, though a block or so away from a major department store. I believe there are a few subway lines.
IMO, Tokyo station is not the most convenient hub, and most shops/restaurants caters to office workers.
The airport bus to the hotel is quite infrequent. You can take Narita Express (though good trek across a very busy station) or take a limousine bus to TCAT and taxi from there.

windance Jun 8th, 2007 01:14 PM

Okay, so if Tokyo station is not the most convenient, which do you think is? Last time there, I stayed at the 4S Marunouchi and it was 2 blks to the Shinkansen to airport. Very swish, too. Also, a short walk to Ginza and 20 minutes to Shibuya/Shinjuku. I also stayed at the Park Hyatt during that trip, after a 3 dayer to Kyoto. I do want to go to the new museum in Roppongi, but also to Ueno, Shibuya and maybe a day trip to Kamakura or elsewhere. I've separately posted for garden suggestions, so I'd like as much walking/subway flexibility as possible and not be dependent on taxis. You both seem insightful, I'd welcome your further suggestions. thx!

KimJapan Jun 8th, 2007 01:35 PM

Really anywhere near a station is convenient. The subway plus Yamanote line is great for getting around. If you like the Four Seasons, why not stay there again? Most of the better hotels have limo bus service for the airport, or if you want to use the Narita Express and have easy access to that, then Shinjuku, Shibuya, Shinagawa and Tokyo stations are Narita Express stations...but you can easily connect to any of those stations by subway or taxi, so I wouldn't let Narita Express stations dictate your hotel choice.

Choose the hotel you like with the understanding that in Tokyo, getting around is very easy and the subway/train systems go just about everywhere.