Fodor's Travel Talk Forums

Fodor's Travel Talk Forums (https://www.fodors.com/community/)
-   Asia (https://www.fodors.com/community/asia/)
-   -   late flight into Bangkok- what to do?? (https://www.fodors.com/community/asia/late-flight-into-bangkok-what-to-do-475023/)

welch Sep 18th, 2004 10:58 AM

late flight into Bangkok- what to do??

We arrive into Bangkok at midnight after 4 nights in Tokyo. We plan on going to Chiang Mai for 3 nights the following day and then return to Bangkok for 4 nights with a 6AM departure back home.
My question is as follows- is it worth it to drive into the city to stay at the Sukhothai for the night returning to the airport for a noonish flight. I love good hotels and we'll probably be staying at the Four Seasons on our return (although might be swayed differently by the Sukhothai). I can get a rate at the Sukhothai that's the same as the Airport Amari. I 'll post separately with my Tokyo question, but if anyone reading this can give me expert shopping advice for Bangkok, go for it! Probably will be concentrating on household goods...

Kathie Sep 18th, 2004 11:52 AM

Personally, I dislike the Amari at the airport. I find it overpriced as well as dingy and worn. (Others on this board have found the Executive Floor acceptable, but at a high price). So in any case, I'd recommend that you not stay at the Amari. For that one night, I'd stay at the Rama Gardens in the Executive Wing (about US$79 a night including breakfast last I looked; check at www.asiahotels.com) The rooms are large and nice, and they have huge bathrooms. No it's not what a downtown hotel would be, but it's a short drive to/from the airport. They have a nice swimming pool too. If this were your only night in Bangkok, I'd certainly recommend that you go into town.

sandi Sep 18th, 2004 12:08 PM

I have to agree with Kathie that the Amari is dingy, worn and overpriced. The only thing the Amari has going for it is its' location. We stayed here only because arrived late, and didn't want to even attempt a transfer to a hotel more then a few steps from the airport; likewise we had an early departure for our homebound flight. Should we make a return trip to/thru BKK, we'll venture further afield and the Rama Gardens gets much better reviews.

welch Sep 18th, 2004 05:35 PM

If I'm going to leave the airport anyway, should I head into town? I'll be coming in so late I can't imagine there will be traffic issues at that hour- only perhaps next day. With traffic in mind, how long will it take to get from the Sukhothai to the airport? Please note, we will be returning to Bangkok for 4 nights.

orgy7 Sep 18th, 2004 06:46 PM

what time do you fly out?

where is the sukothai?

dlh Sep 18th, 2004 07:17 PM

The Sukhothai is basically next door to the Banyan Tree and the Sukhothai is an absolutely beautiful hotel. The trip to the hotel should be fairly quick because traffic is usually quite a bit lighter after midnight and IMO with your flight out leaving around noon you should be fine (my suggestion would be to ask the Sukhothai what time they would suggest you leave in the AM to make your flight and how long the drive typically takes with traffic at that time). Also, our check in and check out at the Sukhothai was done in our room which is a nice time saver. If you feel that you have time and if you love good hotels then, IMO, yes - it is worth it to go into town and stay at the Sukhothai. I, personally, find the location of the Sukhothai to be a bit inconvenient when we stay in Bangkok for shopping/family trips but for a purely relaxing experience or an overnight on your way to another destination the Sukhothai is perfect. I always think of the hotel as a little jewel and it is quite serene - enjoy! On another note about the Sukhothai, IMO I would request a room in the main building as opposed to the building by the pool. We were in the Presidential Suite which is located in the building by the pool and while the room itself was unquestionably stunning we thought the lobby area and atmosphere in the main building was a bit better and it was definitely the lobby where all the photos of the hotel are taken. Hope this helps a bit. Have a wonderful holiday!!

hobbes Sep 18th, 2004 11:39 PM

I found the Sukhothai a bt over rated when we stayed there and comp second dlh's comment re asking for a room in the main building - one of the things that really put me off was a long walk from the elevtaor in an almost dingy corridoor to our room. I had been to the hotel before for a meal and their outstanding choc buffet on Sun and must confess I expected better when I stayed there. I also agree the location is a bit out of the way. I love the Four Seasons and think if being on the river is not a priority u will love staying there. But it is def worth it to drive from the airport - for a noon flt to CM u need to be at the airport at a vreasonable enough time to enjoy your acco a bit in the morning. At that time of night you should not encounter much traffic en route from the airport.

Guenmai Sep 19th, 2004 01:32 PM

Ok...I just returned from Bangkok..Aug 31st.. and have been there several times....and have stayed at a lot of hotels...up to five per visit...to compare them all and to try different areas of town.. I arrived into BK at 10:00 PM and had a 7:35AM flight down to Singapore the next morning.....where I stayed nearly a week before returning back up to BK... I would NOT pay the price of the Amari...I've heard from friends who've stayed there and who have commented that... it's... well...not a dump...but not nice. Anyhow, I stayed at the Cheateau de Bangkok by Sofitel( an Accor Hotel)...800.818.4685 in the U.S... which was VERY nice. I paid 1400 baht...about $34.00...41 baht to a U.S. dollar... for a Jr. SUITE with kitchenette...full-size fridge/freezer...microwave...sink...counter space and lots of cabinets. Plus the hotel has a gorgeous pool on the roof..It's a 200 meter walk to the Ploenchit sky train station. Of course I didn't need all this because I was only there for about 5-6 hours...to sleep...before returning back to the airport...but I would absolutely NOT go into town and pay Sukothai prices for a few hours of sleep. Plus if you stay at the Chateau de Bangkok a taxi to and from the hotel costs all of 200 Baht...and takes about 20 minutes... or if you want someone from the hotel to send a car for you at the airport...then it costs 1,000 baht...but it took 1hr and 5 mins (I timed it) to get out of the underground parking lot due to all the traffic jams. The taxis stop outside the airport so it's faster. But since I'm female, traveling alone, I usually have the hotel pick me up on late night arrivals. As for the Sukothai...Haven't stayed there, but have seen many of the gorgeopus rooms....Dec 2002...when I arranged for a tour of the property...plus it's next door to the new Metropolitan Hotel...one of the hotels I stayed at on this last trip...It's a 15-minute walk to the Saladang Sky Train stop. It's not central to shopping or the Grand Palace...the river area...but manageable. I'm with poster Hobbes when it comes to the Four Seasons which is my all-time favorite... hands down...nothing else comes close as far as I'm concerned.The majority of the rooms are in an outdoor tropical atrium setting and the lobby is absolutely beautiful.Plus the food is great...especially the buffet breakfast... I gave it such a high rating that that when I went to my mailbox...just two days ago...I found a persoanl letter from the hotel manager expressing how grateful he was that I took so much time to write such nice comments.Plus the Four Seasons' location can't be beat for location...unless you prefer to stay on the river...which I could really care less about...although I've tried it... Peninsula....Royal Orchid Sheraton this last trip...but most folks in this forum are river folks...to each his own...Wherever you stay in BK, you're likely to have a really nice hotel experience since it's a city of extraordinary hotels. Happy Travels!

Guenmai Sep 19th, 2004 05:46 PM

Sorry for the above typographical mistake....CHATEAU de Bangkok...Happy Travels!

Craig Sep 20th, 2004 04:57 AM

Since you do not have an early departure after your arrival from Tokyo, there is no reason to stay at the Amari. I have stayed on the Executive floor at the Amari several times and have been quite satisfied, though - you might consider it for your last day, although it is kind of a pain changing hotels. On the Executive Floor there is a separate check-in and you can have your complimentary breakfast brought to your room at 3 AM if you want. If you are just looking to chill out for a while and save some money on your first day in Bangkok, the Rama Gardens is close to the airport and rooms in the new wing are supposed to be quite nice. Otherwise stay at your hotel of choice in Bangkok. Experiences on this board for early departures from the Rama Gardens have been mixed - probably not the place to stay on your last day.

orgy7 Sep 20th, 2004 05:50 AM

where ever you stay all you'll do is unpack a lile sleep and repack and be in a hurry too the airport. I'n not too suer what you will get out of staying at at sukothai. your paying a premium for the facilaties but may not be able too enjoy them