Fodor's Travel Talk Forums

Fodor's Travel Talk Forums (https://www.fodors.com/community/)
-   Asia (https://www.fodors.com/community/asia/)
-   -   Last questions before trip (https://www.fodors.com/community/asia/last-questions-before-trip-1660183/)

HindEl91 Nov 10th, 2018 06:09 AM

Last questions before trip

Hello everyone.
Less than 3 weeks to our trip to Thailand with a planning as follows :
2 full days in Bangkok
1 day with transfer flight from Bangkok to Chiang Mai
2 full days in Chiang Mai
1 day with transfer from Chiang Mai to Krabi
4 full days in Krabi with Ao Nang as a base for island hopping
1 day with transfer from Krabi to Bangkok
1 full day in Bangkok for some shopping before heading home

So my last questions are :
1. Which currency is better to take to Thailand? Euro or dollar? Since we are from Morocco so we have to change our money to one of them and was wondering which is most widely used there.

2. Is Ao Nang a good base for island hopping? We really would like to see as much as possible from hong island to Koh lanta through phi phi island without having to travel so much in a 4 full days period.

3. Are the transfers from and to airports need to be arranged in advance or metro for bangkok and taxis in Chiang Mai and Krabi are easy to get?

Thanks a million in advance.

jacketwatch Nov 10th, 2018 08:55 AM

Just use ATM’s for local currency. If you buy Euros or USD before you leave it’s usually at a lowered rate.

crellston Nov 11th, 2018 05:53 AM

1. I know little of the retail banking system in Morocco so this may not be possible for you but by far the least expensive way would be to use your debit card to withdraw from ATMs in Thailand. ATMs charge fairly high flat fees in Thailand so it pays to take the max possible to reduce the impact of those fees. If possible take two cards so if one goes astray you still have options. Wise to take some cash as a back up and exchange a small amount at the airport for taxis etc.€ or $, it really doesn’t matter. I have used both and rates are competive for those currencies and other major currencies like ¥ and £ .

When changing cash do compare rate at bureau de change as the do vary.

2. Ao Nang is as good as any for island hopping , by which I assume you mean day trips on boats rather than staying on a different island each night? I would research providers in advance so as to get decent tpprices and avoid wasting time when there. With just 4 days, I would probably stick to one day trip. Not sure if they pick up form Ao Nang but John Gre Sea Canoes are very good.

3. Easy to arrange transfers from all those places on arrival. There are official taxi booth inside BKK and Don Muang airports. Expect to pay anywhere between 250 and 400 THB depending on location and traffic. Going back to the airport in Bangkok you may have to insist quiet strongly that they use the meter! By "metro" I assume you mean the airport rail link from Suvarnabhumi Airport, via Makkasan Station? If so, I wouldn’t bother. It is just too much hassle unless you are staying right next to the station as you will just need to get a taxi at that end anyway.

Enjoy your trip