Last Minute Details: Thailand

Old Mar 23rd, 2008, 08:25 PM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Last Minute Details: Thailand

We are leaving in 10 days for Thailand (Bangkok, Chiang Mai and Phuket). I can't believe it is finally here! Taking care of last minute details (calling the bank, credit card companies, etc.)

Is it recommended to re-confirm our hotel reservations before we leave? I am bringing the email confirmations for all locations, so not sure if this is necessary.

Also, I think I remember reading a post about contacting the hotels to get maps/directions from the airport before our arrival. Is this recommended? We plan on using taxi cabs.

Any last minute suggestions or advice?

Thanks in advance.
Old Mar 23rd, 2008, 08:59 PM

Reconfirming hotels (or flights) is not really necessary, especially if you have booked directly with the hotel.

Unless you're staying in a place that has just opened, or is small, then you shouldn't need any more than the (exact) name to get there from the airport. Do have the address handy when you get a taxi, in case there's any question (although addresses are pretty useless in Thailand). In Bangkok, be sure to know the exact name, especially if you're staying in a Sheraton, Sofitel, or other chain that has many properties in Bangkok.

Once you get to the hotel, DO get a taxi card before you go out. This is usually the size of a business card, with the hotel name and directions printed in Thai.
Old Mar 24th, 2008, 06:19 AM

its always a crap shoot with the taxi drivers....some know all the hotels, some know few...address will help....like 'soi 22 sukhumvit'....

no need to reconfirm anything...have a conf. # however..

taxi drivers cannot read maps so don't bother....often they can't read anything...

you will do fine..

i always suggest a limo for an initial arrival....peace of mind after a long trip
Old Mar 24th, 2008, 01:28 PM
Original Poster

Thank you both. I appreciate it.

Michael - thank you for the tip about getting a taxi card from each hotel. That will be very helpful.

Old Mar 25th, 2008, 08:15 AM

Having just arrived in Bangkok today, I can tell that you it was helpful to have the hotel name, address and phone number written on a slip of paper. I don't think the driver could read the English name and address, but he used his cell phone to call the hotel and got us there with no problem.

Now, if I can just remember to grab one of those cards in the hotel lobby before I go out for the day tomorrow...!

Enjoy your trip -
Old Mar 28th, 2008, 02:57 PM

When you arrive in Bangkok airport we would go to "departures" and walk to the left end with our luggage on a trolly and wave down a cab that had just dropped people and these cabs will give you a fairer price - from Airport to Sukhumvit around Nana station in SUkhumvit would be about 300 to 400 baht - they charge 600 at the down level if you are not aware. With the print out have the 400 in their money ready to pay WHEN you arrive but do agree first. To have a print out in Thai of your Hotel is essential Most drivers understand a little English they read there own language and the printed card will get you there and agree on the price for your destination BEFORE departing. 400bt would be the maximum. Google info about the Golden Palace the Floating Market the Flower Market The Emerald Buddah and the Royal Barges and the Klong Tours and then work out what you wish to see - The Sirrocco has an outdoor bar and eatery on the 64th floor. These are just a fw of the highlights. Pre informed will help you get maximum enjoyment.Good luck.
Old Mar 28th, 2008, 03:08 PM

Also make sure you have a photo copies of your passport and travel arrangements and this can be useful if you are unfortunate enough to loose any of your important papers. Google all the info you can on the fields of interest to you and you will find Thai people are very polite and food and flowers and so many other things are so exotic and captivating to explore.