Fodor's Travel Talk Forums

Fodor's Travel Talk Forums (https://www.fodors.com/community/)
-   Asia (https://www.fodors.com/community/asia/)
-   -   Large group dining in BKK??? (https://www.fodors.com/community/asia/large-group-dining-in-bkk-516116/)

Janak626 Mar 27th, 2005 04:01 AM

Large group dining in BKK???

My daughter and I will be having dinner with the other young people who were with her outside of Chiang Mai and their families in BKK in a week. We're all tourists. Where do you suggest we meet for dinner? I prefer "atmosphere" over hotels (which tend to be more pricey and local cuisine over italian or anything else, although your feedback abouthotel dining sounds fabulous; just not on my budget this time. ANy recs for a restaurant on the river or close enough to the night bazaar so we can walk over afterwards? Has anyone taken up fodors rec and eateen at the BBQ restaurant on the roof of the river center shopping mall (next to the ROS?) Also, if we go to the Calypso Cabaret in the Asia Hotel, where should we eat first (not at hotel) that is close by? thanks, again.

hobbes Mar 27th, 2005 04:11 AM

Not exactly walking distance but very near the night bazaar on Soi Lung Suan is a great Vietnamese food restaurant. Great food, informal ambience and reasonable.

hobbes Mar 27th, 2005 04:11 AM

Sorry - forgot to write name! Thang Long.

Janak626 Mar 27th, 2005 05:01 AM

large group = maybe 10 at tops. adults and college age children.

Janak626 Mar 27th, 2005 05:43 AM

Hobbes: is there a skytrain exit or is a cab the way to go? sounds great to me. thanks as specific directions are helpful for us neophytes.

Walter_Walltotti Mar 27th, 2005 05:54 AM

I actually think Angellinis at the Shangri La is a good place for a party meal. Its then a short walk throuh the hotel to the Krungthep wing which is adjacent to the skytrain

rhkkmk Mar 27th, 2005 05:59 PM

glaaery cafe just up the road from the sheraton would be a good bet...i would let them know in advance however....harmonique could give you a whole room and it is also nearby...

tongue thai near to the oriental is a possibility..

i have eaten at the BBQ...it might be a good place too...nice view down the river...would depend on the weather....might be too hot...

there are a number of riverside restaurants that can easily cater to big parties...most are on the opposite side of the river from the sheraton...yok yor is one that comes to mind and i think they run a boat from river city to the restaurant...ask at the sheraton

rhkkmk Mar 27th, 2005 06:01 PM

that's galery cafe

simpsonc510 Mar 28th, 2005 04:17 AM

If you want a Thai meal, I'd suggest you go to Vienntien (pronounced Vee-en john) Kitchen. Great relaxed "hut" atmosphere, a music and dance show, and good food too. It isn't close to Suan Lum night bazaar, so you would have to taxi there. I can check my journal if you want to know the soy.. it is off Sukhumvit, for sure.
Carol

simpsonc510 Mar 28th, 2005 04:21 AM

I forgot to mention that you CAN eat at Suan Lum night bazaar. There is a very large food court and lots of tables and chairs. There is a huge stage at one end of the food court, where they have pretty much continuous live entertainment while you dine. It isn't such a great place to eat if you want to chat.. unless you sit way back from the stage, and you could pull a bunch of tables/chairs together. You would have time to shop til you drop if some folks stayed at the tables while others went out buying. Just a suggestion...

glorialf Mar 28th, 2005 06:57 AM

I went to a group meal once at Lemon Grass which was quite pleasant. But my vote would be to do it on the river. And while the hotels may be a bit more they are not necessarily expensive. You can eat at the Verandah of the Oriental for $10-15 or less. The buffet is more but the Verandah gives you the same view and ambience.