Pls. help with Shanghai logistics

Old Aug 5th, 2002, 09:29 PM
jay

Pls. help with Shanghai logistics

In November 2002, we will be attending an event to be held at the following:<BR> <BR>Shanghai's New International Expo Center<BR>No. 2345, Longyang Road<BR>Pudong New Area<BR><BR>I am trying to figure out logistics and have the following questions for those of you who might be familiar with the area:<BR><BR>1. Is it worth looking for a hotel in this area? What hotels are in this area? Are there things to do in the area i.e. shopping, restaurants, good walking streets, etc...?<BR><BR>2. How far is the expo centre from downtown Shanghai/Shanghai City Area i.e. Nanjing Rd, Bund, Huai Hai, etc..? And if we decide to stay in this area, is the expo centre easily accessible by public transport? How long? <BR> <BR>3. Though we are here for the event, it is our goal to take in Shanghai, as a city, as well. Would you stay in a hotel close to the expo centre, or somewhere else? <BR><BR>Thank you for your help.<BR><BR>

Old Aug 5th, 2002, 10:18 PM
Andrea

I'm an American who has been living in Shanghai for over 3 years.<BR><BR>A Shanghai primer: Shanghai has two sections - Pudong (east of the river) and Puxi (west of the river). The expo center is in Pudong; Puxi is considered the "main" part of the city.<BR><BR>1. Hotels: I always urge people NOT to stay in Pudong, even if they are going to a confrerence on Pudong side. There was literally only farmland in Pudong 5 - 10 years ago. The government decided to develop that area, and have done a great job - it is now teeming with skyscrapers, hotels, and increasingly, housing. But one of the greatest things about visiting China is just wandering around, seeing how different things are, seeing how people live, etc. You can't really do this in Pudong, since it's only 5 years old. It IS still different, of course - when I'd just moved here we stayed in Pudong and I walked around the streets and was fascinated, but it PALES in comparison with walking around anywhere in Puxi. The only way I can explain it, I guess, is to reiterate that people have been living in Puxi for hundreds of years, and the areas in Pudong are only 5 years old (of course, people were living there before, but they razed the entire area).<BR><BR>2. The expo center is just across the river from Puxi. To get across, you can take a taxi, the metro, or a ferry. The only problem with a taxi is that it can take up to an hour if you try it during rush hour. The fastest time I've ever made it from central Puxi to Pudong is about 15 minutes, average is about 30 minutes. I think the metro should take 10 - 15 minutes. <BR><BR>3. Again, I would STRONGLY recommend staying in Puxi so that you can just step out of your hotel and experience China. You could stay around the Bund area so that you're close enough for the expo for your conference.<BR><BR>Good luck - you'll have a GREAT time!

Old Aug 5th, 2002, 11:32 PM
Kat

We stayed at the Grand Hyatt atop the 90(or more)-storey Jinmao Building. Yes it's at Pudong and it's not at the center of all the "happenings". But being able to see the lights turn on at the Bund at dusk, having your private elevated viewing spot (i.e. your room) of the city pays off. Since you'll have to go to Pudong for your event anyway, staying there might not add that much inconvenience afterall.<BR><BR>If you plan to stay out late at Puxi, take the taxi though - one night we tried the subway at 9pm and were squashed...<BR><BR>By the way, when you visit the Bund, be sure to include a night with the Old Jazz Band at the Peace Hotel.

Old Aug 7th, 2002, 01:32 PM
Patty

Much of what Andrea says about Pudong is correct. This is a relatively new area (didn't even exist on my first trip to Shanghai) and there isn't much in terms of sightseeing and opportunities for just walking around. There's even a local saying which very loosely translated says "would rather have an apartment in Puxi than a mansion in Pudong". Having said that however, I like staying in Pudong and don't find it inconvenient to just take the metro into Puxi (I gave up on taxi's - too much traffic). And there are lots of restaurants and shopping centers in Pudong - more and more are opening every day. For a first time visit though, you may prefer the activity level of Puxi and being able to step out of the hotel and see interesting sights. For this I would suggest the area around the Bund and Nanjing road (you may want to take a look a the Sofitel Hyland for a moderately priced, conveniently located option). From here, one stop (2 yuan) on the metro gets you into Pudong. You can even take the kitschy, underground 'tourist tunnel' gondola car that runs from the Bund to Pudong and deposits you right near the convention center (at 30 yuan a trip, it is virtually always empty). This is all assuming that you are refering to the Shanghai International Convention Center which is located right along the river on the Pudong side. If you do decide to stay on the Pudong side, there's the Riverside hotel which is adjacent to the convention center (never stayed there before) or within walking distance are the Grand Hyatt and Shangri-La hotels - both very nice hotels. Right next to the Hyatt is a brand new shopping center that is slated to open in October. It will have movie theaters, stores (although many of these will be of the chain variety), restaurants, and a supermarket. Even in Pudong, you should not want for a lack of places to shop and dine (it's a favorite Chinese pastime) and most places are open late. Hope this helps.

Old Aug 7th, 2002, 09:31 PM
Jay

Thank you all for sound advice. Please feel free to comment on the following:<BR><BR>1. How long will it take to get from, say, the Sofitel Hotel to the Expo Center via subway? How about from someplace like the Hilton or JC Mandarin? We would be heading over about 3:00pm every day. Will it differ if we are heading out at 5PM or are we going against the "people rush" flow? <BR><BR>2. Any idea what time the subways stop running. One of the reasons for our trip is to attend the Tennis Masters Cup. The nightly final match would probably end around 9:30-10:00pm. My assumption is that it would be safe to travel at that time (since a lot of people would probably be doing the same thing?). <BR><BR>3. After getting back that late into Puxi, would restaurants still be open?<BR><BR>4. What might be the most economical way into the city from the airport? There will be four of us traveling?<BR><BR>5. Does anyone have opinions about the following hotels? JC Mandarin, Hilton, Central Hotel, Ramada, Regal East Asia? value, lobby, rooms, location near shops and restaurants?<BR><BR>Thanks again for your help, suggestions and advice. Peace.

Old Aug 8th, 2002, 10:43 AM
Patty

1. OK, now that you mention the Masters Cup that completely changes the picture. I (and I believe Andrea also) had assumed that you were referring to the convention center near the Oriental Pearl Tower by the river. But the one you're talking about is way out in Pudong, quite a ways from Puxi. Here's a map of its location:<BR><BR>http://www.sniec.net/map-large.jpg<BR><BR>I'm not familiar with this area so I don't know if the metro stations would be within walking distance to the expo center. You may have to rely on taxi's but keep in mind that cross river traffic can be very bad especially during rush hour. There's also the option of taking the metro to the station closest to the expo center(bypassing the worst of the traffic) and then catching a cab from there. Going this route, it would be approx. 5-6 stops from the Sofitel. If you're coming from the Hilton or JC Mandarin, add 2-3 stops. It's hard for me to give a time estimate as I've never traveled to that part of Pudong, but I would say allow at least half an hour for the metro/taxi combination and I won't even try to guess how long it would take for a taxi from Puxi. Perhaps Andrea can advise.<BR><BR>2. I believe (but not positive) that the metro runs until 11:00pm. I've taken it around 9:30 and felt safe.<BR><BR>3. While some restaurants close at 10:00pm, there are many, many others that close between 11:00pm-midnight. And there are some that stay open until 2:00-3:00am for the late night crowd. You shouldn't have any problems finding a place that's open. Pick up a copy of That's Shanghai or one of the other English language publications, it has a restaurant directory by cuisine with address, phone number, and opening/closing times or go on their website www.thatshanghai.com which has the same info.<BR><BR>4. Which airport are you flying into (Pudong or HongQiao)?<BR><BR>5. I haven't stayed at any of these hotels so can't comment on the quality. Location alone - the Central Hotel is located near Nanjing Rd close to the Sofitel and within walking distance of the Bund. The Hilton and JC Mandarin are clustered in an area farther west. This is also a good area with lots of restaurants and shopping nearby. There are 2 Regals - one is the Regal International East Asia Hotel and the other is the Regal Shanghai East Asia Hotel. The International is in an OK location, the Shanghai one is too far out, and I would probably pick one of the other options you mentioned over either one. I don't know where the Ramada (in Puxi) is.<BR><BR>Hope this helps.

Old Aug 8th, 2002, 07:49 PM
jay

patty,<BR><BR>thank you for taking the time to reply. my gut feeling was right that this convention centre was different from the one located near the river. funny you sent the map. i looked at that last night and was trying to calculate what would be a good subway station map. your comments about the hotels, distances, etc... were really helpful. i do know that "line 2" is the line which passes the venue. my assumption is that if i can find a hotel that is in a good area i.e. shops, restaurants, etc... and yet close to line "2", this would be a good bet. otherwise, i guess i would have to transfer at people's square if i were coming off of line "1". <BR><BR>regarding airports, i think we will be landing at the pudong one. <BR><BR>you and others are really helping me develop a clear picture of where i want to be, how i'm going to get to where i need to, etc... thank you...

Old Aug 9th, 2002, 11:32 AM
Patty

jay,<BR>You're right, the metro line into Pudong is line 2. Of the hotels you mentioned Central, JC Mandarin, and Hilton would have convenient access to line 2. From the 2 Regals hotels, you would have to take line 1 and then transfer at People's Sq to line 2. Line 2 is newer and the stations are better marked with better maps/signage in my opinion. From Pudong airport to Puxi a taxi will probably run between 150-200 yuan depending on the time of day and where your hotel is located. You can also check with your hotel for the shuttle rate, but they are generally more expensive. Have fun!

Old Aug 9th, 2002, 12:59 PM
Louis

Hilton is about a block away from metro #2 line - JinAnSi station. JC Mandarin and Ritz-Carlton (diagonally opposite JC Mandarin) are probably a 10-15 minutes walk from the nearest a metro #2 line station. Location for these hotels are excellent as far as shopping and restaurant are concerned.<BR><BR>We stayed at JC Mandarin last Oct. If you need more information, let me know.<BR><BR>If your budget allows it, stay at the Ritz-Carlton followed by Hilton and JC Mandarin.

Old Aug 10th, 2002, 03:17 PM
jay

thanks for the hotel advice. if you can, tell me a little about the jc mandarin. <BR><BR>it'd be great to stay at the ritz, but it's not in the cards right now. a few more questions that i have about specific hotels. <BR><BR>central hotel - new? good location? lobby? rooms?<BR><BR>ramada plaza - this used to be the grand nation. how is the location of this hotel and the lobby?<BR><BR>sofitel - am i close to a metro line from here? <BR><BR>jin jiang towers - close to metro line? true hotel or condotel? <BR><BR>it's funny. getting paranoid because i've checked a couple of hotels and they are sold out for those dates. there can't be that many people coming in for the tournament. i've gotta book soon. our budget looks like it is $100-$160 net... thanks

Old Aug 10th, 2002, 04:13 PM
Louis

JC Mandarin: We stayed in a standard room last Oct. for 10 nights. The room is nice and clean of average size; nothing special. We loved the Chinese/Japanese/American style buffet breakfast. Breakfast was part of the room price. Otherwise it costs something like US$16 per person. Except for the glitzy lobby (few places to sit), this hotel probably would be rated 3 diamonds (out of 5) by AAA. To eat meals in the hotel would be expensive, but there are a lot of very reasonbly priced Chinese restaurants nearby. I would stay at this hotel again if the price is right. By the way, service from hotel staff was very good. This hotel is managed by Singapore interests. Again the location is excellent<BR><BR>Sofitel: About a couple of blocks from the subway station of Metro line #2. Hotel is managed by Germans or Europeans. The price I have seen is generally cheaper than JC Mandarin. Excellent location. About 2 to 3 subway stations closer to where you want to go in PuDong than JC Mandarin. The rooms may be smaller. From what I have researched and learned, I would not hesitate to stay in this hotel.<BR><BR>Central Hotel - I believe it is close to Sofitel. I believe it was opened like 3 to 4 years ago and run by the Chinese. If I were you , I would do more research before picking this one.<BR><BR>Jin Jiang Tower - It is close to a subway station of Metro line #1 (not #2) in the old French Concession. Excellent location. I heard some negative comments about this hotel. By the way this hotel is run by a large, well-known Chinese company.<BR><BR><BR>By the way hotel peak season in the fall in Shanghai is Sept/Oct. In general, prices drop significantly beginning Nov except for special events.<BR><BR>In conclusion, consider Hilton, Ritz (I see prices of $145 off season), JC Mandarin, Sofitel. You should have no difficulty getting a room at $100-$160 net (include breakfasts) in Nov in Shanghai in one of those hotels. But I don't know this year's special events in Nov <BR><BR>Good luck in your selection <BR><BR>

Old Aug 11th, 2002, 04:41 AM
Andrea

What a small world! The company I work for is the Official Medical Provider for the Masters Cup! I'll be there every day!<BR><BR>In terms of the hotels, right next to the Hilton are also the Equatorial and the Shanghai Hotel.<BR><BR>The JC Mandarin's location isn't as good as the Hilton for wandering through the streets and exploring (the Hilton's location is the best of the 3 I mentioned above, but they are all on the same large city block). <BR><BR>See you at the matches!