Go Back  Fodor's Travel Talk Forums > Destinations > Asia
Reload this Page >

Laos Gibbon Experience near Huay Xai--anyone comment on this??

Oct 6th, 2009, 07:38 AM
Original Poster

Greetings from Montana--Heading to Laos soon and wondered if anyone has done the Gibbon Experience where you travel for a few days to various tree houses and go from one to another by a zip-line? The web site looks great but there is no guarantee that one will see the Gibbons.
How was your experience and was it worth the time even if you didnt see any monkeys?
I dont mind rain and mud to hike in or the mosquitoes if they are around.
Thanks for any comments.
Norm
Oct 6th, 2009, 08:11 AM

Read a few travel blogs with mixed reviews. some liked and others were furious, about lack of food and organization. Don't remember where I read them, try googling. I am going to see the Gibbons in Singapore, where I will be guaranteed a sighting, if there is such a thing as a guarantee.
Oct 6th, 2009, 04:49 PM

There are mixed reviews about this; some love it, some don't.
Oct 6th, 2009, 10:57 PM

I thought about it before my last trip to Laos. Left it too late and could not get in. I was talking to a girl who had done It and she was not impressed. Due to rain, there was an 8 hour hike in to the site over wet and muddy terrain. They heard but did not see any gibbons. This is only anecdotal but I would look at the time of year, your general fitness and do considerable research in advance. An alternative would be to head up to Luang Nam Tha and spend a few days trekking in the vicinity. A lot cheaper but no zip-lines.
Oct 7th, 2009, 07:17 AM
Original Poster

Thanks for the info... I youtube videos of the zip lines look fun to do especially since they seem really long and high up..also the tree houses are huge. Ive never stayed in one or done a zip that long...but understand about not seeing any gibbons. i saw plenty while kayaking solo in thailand ..they use to come down from the trees and try and steal the food out of my kayak. So i guess its a crap-shoot as far as what you get. I dont mind hiking in the mud since thats part of Laos. I suppose if it a "walk in the park" i would feel too much like im in Central Park NY.
Thanks all for the info
N