Japan in the Fall: 8 Days Itin Help

Search

Search this Thread

Old Sep 20th, 2013, 11:18 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

We're planning our first trip to Japan and wanted to feedback on the itin. . I also have lots of questions.

FYI - We fly into Haneda and out of Kansai. We arrive late at night so Day 1 begins the next day (a full day). From reading other posts, it looks like a JR pass is our best bet.

Days 1-3: Tokyo
-What's the best way to cover Tokyo - a hop on/off bus?
-We'd like to do a day trip from Tokyo - which is recommended Nikko or Kamakura? We want to see the more rural side of Japan and love temples and good food!
-We also want to see Mt Fuji. Should we do Hakone/Mt Fuji as a day trip from Tokyo or is it easy enough to do it en route to Kyoto?

Days 4-7: Kyoto
- What's the best way to get around and see Kyoto? Looks like bus or bicycling might be good options

Day 8: Take the morning train to Osaka to hang out for the day before our flights departs in the evening (at 5pm). Which station should we get off at to be in the "center" of Osaka?

Is there a particular place to visit to get the full view/experience of the fall foliage?

Also, are there key Japan experience that we must have? For example, on my must-do list is a sushi breakfast at Tsukiji Fish Market, visit a cafe that specializes in latte art, see the Harajuku teens, take part in a tea ceremony, stay a night in a ryokan.... anything else I'm missing?
Old Sep 20th, 2013, 07:02 PM

You don't need a JR Pass. What day is Day 1?

Tokyo is an enormous city. You would be taking the subway. Nikko for the day trip. It is easy enough to stop in Hakone on the way to Kyoto.

You could push Kyoto to days 5-8 and go to Kansai Airport from Kyoto. Take an extra day up front for Nikko or Hakone.
Old Sep 21st, 2013, 12:01 AM

Tokyo is huge. I used the underground to get around. With a bus you might perhaps be stuck in traffic jams.

I found Nikko quite nice.

I'd say a daytrip to Hakone/Mt Fuji is sufficient. The train is quite fast anyway.

Check my travelogue at http://www.molon.de/travelogues/Japan/2007/
I used buses to explore Kyoto.

It'a pity you have so little time, otherwise you could do an overnight trip to Hiroshima and Miyajima, which are absolute musts on any visit to Japan in my opinion.
Old Sep 21st, 2013, 09:25 AM

Kyoto has an excellent subway system that is easy to use, fast and efficient. Kyoto is a big city with lots of traffic. I don't know about bicycles.
When we were in Kyoto, one of the highlights was the Johnny Hillwalker walking tour. It's inexpensive and it goes to the back streets and alleyways that are hidden by the tall buildings. Really excellent:
http://www.kyotoguide.com/ver2/thism...y-and-Joe.html
Old Sep 21st, 2013, 09:27 AM

Sorry. I'd meant to add that in Kyoto busses are hard to use if you don't speak Japanese. The subways are much easier.
Old Sep 21st, 2013, 08:08 PM

Japan experiences - conveyer belt sushi, Shinjuku station, an electronics shop, cat cafe, taiko drumming, incense ceremony, kaiseki, jiirikisha, vending machines, meet a maiko, bicycle through the bamboo forest in Arashiyama, sake tasting, pickles, Sky Tree...I could go on but you only have 8 days.

Don't underestimate the size of Tokyo or expect Kyoto to not be a city - it's a huge city, too. Where to see autumn foliage depends on when your trip is.
Old Sep 21st, 2013, 09:06 PM
Original Poster

Thank you for all your responses!

Day 1 begins on Nov 7th and we'll be in Japan through the 15th.

To summarize - We will split our time between Kyoto and Tokyo as our home base and then we're planning on day trips to Nikko (from Tokyo), Nara and Hiroshima/Mijayama (from Kyoto).

What is the best way to do Hakone/ Mt Fuji en route to Kyoto? Which rail option? Will the train stop have a place for us to store luggage?

If we don't get JR pass, is there another pass we should get to cover the locales mentioned above?
Old Sep 21st, 2013, 09:10 PM
Original Poster

I wanted to add - On another board I was told to do Hakone/Mt Fuji as a day trip from Tokyo as it's simpler than trying to do it en route to Kyoto. Thoughts?
Old Sep 21st, 2013, 09:40 PM

So you have 9 days? Or are 7 and 15 arrival and departure so 7 days?

If you go to Hiroshima a JR pass will pay off, but even if you have 9 days seeing Tokyo, Nikko, Kyoto and Nara (and Hakone) is more than plenty.

So maybe you are
7 arrive Tokyo
8 Tokyo
9 Tokyo
10 Hakone - I recoommend spending a night in onsen ryokan
11 Kyoto
12 Kyoto
13 Nara
14 Kyoto
15 Osaka depart (be at airport at 3:00 so depart Osaka by 1:30 on limo bus or train or ShinOsaka if you want to use Haruka.

I really don't see time for Nikko or Hiroshima/Miyajima unless you are not interested in Tokyo and Kyoto - your time in each is very short already.

To go to Hakone you can either use JR to Odawara and then get a Free Pass there or use the Free Pass from Shinjuku - buy at Odakyu counter.
Old Sep 22nd, 2013, 08:30 AM

You didn't mention Hiroshima in your original post. If you add that then you can use a JR Pass.
Old Oct 16th, 2013, 01:09 PM
Original Poster

Hi Everyone,

So we've narrowed down our itin and would like your feedback. Please refrain from telling me that there's too much packed into the trip. We're young, healthy and we're probably never going back to Japan again. We can sleep when we get back home.

Day 1: Arrive Tokyo/Haneda at 10:25pm.
Day 2: Tokyo
Day 3: Tokyo & day trip to Nikko
Day 4: Tokyo
Day 5: Tokyo to Arashiyama. Overnight in Ryokan Kadensho in Arashiyama
Day 6: Arashiyama to Kyoto. See bridge and bamboo forest in Arashiyama in the morning before departing for Kyoto
Day 7: Kyoto
Day 8: Kyoto & 1/2 day trip to Nara
Day 9: Day trip Hiroshima & Mijayama
Day 10: Kyoto then Osaka Itami to catch 5pm flight to Haneda. Flight from Haneda to SFO is at midnight, so we may go back to Tokyo for ~4 hours before our international flight.

Some questions:
- On the day we arrive, by the time we get our bags, clear customs, etc it will likely be after midnight. Are there any public transportation options at that time? Or is taxi our only option? We need to get to Hotel Niwa.
- Is a JR pass worth it for our planned itin? If not, what do you recommend?
- On day 5 Is it easy enough to stop in Hakone on our way to Arashiyama? The main reason would be to spot Fuji-san.
Old Oct 16th, 2013, 02:07 PM

ok, I will refrain from saying it's too packed--it's simply nuts, sorry.
Old Oct 16th, 2013, 02:29 PM

Slow down and enjoy a few places. Save the others for your next trip. To have just one full day in Kyoto seems crazy.
Old Oct 16th, 2013, 03:08 PM

Cut out Nara, Hiroshima/Miyajima and Nikko day trips and it sounds pleasant.....rushed but doable. Sure you can do Nikko and Nara but I wouldn't with so little time.

Hiroshima/Miyajima day trip from Kyoto would mean you see mainly train and buses all day albeit a very long day......

There are limo buses at HND that will be running....last ones maybe. Taxi will be premium rates. We arrive at 10:05 next week into HND and don't plan on being there that long.

Yes 7-day JR pass is good activated on day you leave for Kyoto/Arashiyama.

Aloha!
Old Oct 16th, 2013, 03:47 PM

I should have said if you day trip to Hiroshima then Jr pass may be worth it. If not just buy tickets for your daily use. You can figure out your train schedules and costs at

www.hyperdia.com

Aloha!
Old Oct 16th, 2013, 03:47 PM
kja

Have you checked the train schedules? And factored in time to get to your hotels, check in, get oriented, find your way to sites of interests, eat, get at least a little rest, re-pack anything you unpacked, check out, and get to the train station in advance of your next train? I think if you do so you will understand why we are telling you that even your revised plan is not feasible. Good luck.
Old Oct 16th, 2013, 07:14 PM

For Hotel Niwa you have decent rail options until about 11:55PM according to hyperdia. Haneda to Hammamatsucho change to Kanda and then change to Suidobashi station
taxi is ~ ¥8,000
http://www.hotelniwa.jp/english/access/airport.html

You should get a 7-day JR Pass and activate it on Day 4. Go to Nikko that day, not Day 3. You could stay overnight in Nikko and go to Kyoto the next day from there.

Your Day 10 plan is not good. Don't fly from Itami to Haneda, just take the shinkansen. Get a refund for your ITM-HND airfare, if you can, otherwise just throw that ticket away. It is a big waste of time flying and getting to/from the airports. It is also a waste of money - the transport cost to ITM and whatever it costs to go into Tokyo and back to Haneda. That is just not a good plan, really, just suck it up and take a loss on that airfare and you will be better off. You could leave your luggage at the hotel or at Kyoto station and/or at Tokyo station on Day 10, to spend more time in Kyoto/Tokyo then go to Haneda.

Again, I will mention that you need the JR Pass only because you have Hiroshima on your itinerary.

No, it is not easy enough to stop at Hakone on your way to Kyoto. Weather permitting, you will see Fuji-san from the shinkansen on the right side on your way to Kyoto. That is the best that you are going to be able to do.
Old Oct 16th, 2013, 07:21 PM

Without a JR Pass your day trip to Hiroshima would be about ¥22,000 per person.

Use the following webpage to see if there is a bus from Haneda that you could use to get to your hotel.
http://www.limousinebus.co.jp/en/bus...a/confirm/from
Old Oct 16th, 2013, 07:57 PM

I managed to not say that you are trying to pack in too much. You will be able to decide when you are there whether the day trip to Nikko or Nara are good ideas. Other fodorites (emfor one) found a day trip to Hiroshima from Kyoto to be worthwhile, tho I would not advise it.

But, you definitely want to get the stop at Hakone out of your head. Stopping there would cost several hours. Kadensho looks like a nice ryokan hotel and I would plan to arrive there at about 3PM.

And be clear about your day for "Tokyo & day trip to Nikko". It is either "Tokyo" or "Day trip to Nikko".
Old Oct 17th, 2013, 08:46 AM
Original Poster

Thank you all for you replies!

We'd really like to see Hiroshima/Mijayama. What do you think of dropping Arashiyama and instead going to Hiroshima? We want the ryokan/onsen experience, I've read there are some good options in that area.

Thanks for the link to hyperdia info, I'll calculate train fare there and see if a JR pass is worthwhile

Okay, we'll settle for a glimpse of Fuji-san from the train on our way to Kyoto.

Interesting idea about taking the train from Kyoto to HND on Day 10 rather than the domestic flight from Itami. We used miles to get our plane tickets, so we aren't really losing money if we take opt to take the train. We would also get more time in Kyoto. I'll look into this.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Do Not Sell or Share My Personal Information -