Lantau Island in November - Need your wisdom

Search

Search this Thread

Old Sep 28th, 2015, 09:58 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I've been to Hong Kong the city several times, but I've never been to Lantau Island. I plan to be there this November for about 4 days, but I don't want to find out after my trip that it could have been better with your advice!

My interests are primarily cultural and natural. Of course, I want to visit the Buddha. Walking is also on the list. I am not an athlete, but I can do quite a bit so long as I go slowly. (For example, in Bhutan I went up to Tiger's nest at 10,000 feet, but I took the horses up to where the steps start. Then 715 steps down and up into the temple and then 715 steps back, plus the 4 miles down the mountain afterwards. I did it, but slowly, and was really proud of myself afterwards.) So suggestions to get to things that every tourist doesn't get to would be great.

I'm not much into shopping, but if there is somewhere to get an authentic momento, that would be good.

For hotels, is it better just to stick near the transportation hubs?

All advice gratefully accepted!
Old Sep 28th, 2015, 11:37 PM

You can look into hiking part of the Lantau Trail: http://hiking.gov.hk/eng/longtrail/ltrail/ltrail.htm

The interesting parts are Sections 3 to 6. Section 3 would be hard, summiting the 2nd highest peak of HK. 4 to 6 bring you via the Big Buddha and various monasteries.

It'd take quite a long day and quite tiring to do 3 to 6 on the same day. If you only have a day, probably do 3 and 4. Or 4 to 6 only.
Old Sep 30th, 2015, 11:22 PM

We visited Hong Kong in November and found the weather great that time of year. We aren't hikers but enjoyed the cable car ride up to the Big Buddha. It was relaxing walking around the area after being in the City.
Old Oct 27th, 2015, 12:16 AM

Apart from the big buddha, there are lots of interesting places on Lantau which are particularly lovely on week days. Check out Tai O fishing village, Mui Wo and several of the beaches there like Pui O and Cheung Sha.

If you're determined to go for the Lantau, you may like to stay at Tung Chung (Novotel perhaps?) (which is on Lantau) which is the hub for all the transportation you need.
Old Oct 28th, 2015, 11:53 PM

Great question! Of course, if you fly into HK, you'll be on Lantau Island at the airport

I didn't quite understand if yo have to be on Lantau for 4 days, or HK in general for four days. Below is written assuming you are not staying on Lantau, but are visiting for part or whole day.

As Watakeet says above, you can get a metro train to Tung Chung, which has a modern mall, hotel, etc. I got fed up with waiting on long queue there for the Big Buddha Ngong Ping cable car and left (a good reason to return! ) so I recommend pre-booking....you will get ticket in advance with a set time, I think, and go to a different, express line. (Or, if the cable car isn't a big deal to you, you can take a public bus up to the Buddha.)

Instead, i went downstairs to the public bus station and got on the first bus I saw, which happened to be going to Tai O village.( You can also book a visit to Tai O village, as part of a Big Buddha-Tai O private bus ticket, but it will limit your time in Tai O.)

Once at Tai O village, if time is not limited, you can walk in two directions. Facing the water, if you go to the left, you end up on this very rural-looking path past the pier, with a few ramshackle buildings, including a restaurant, and a small prayer alcove. I was the only non-local person on this side, and got well-stared at! Hard to believe i was so close to HK island or Kowloon!

In the other direction, it's more interesting,. Walk back, past the market which sells wonderful street food like seafood topped with melted cheese. You can hire a boat to take you out to see dolphins i think, but i kept walking past the market and soon left the tourists (like myself!) behind. You walk on the lane through the village, with little cafes, seeing the backs of stilt houses. Keep walking all the way to the end of the peninsula. Depending on stops for photos and at cafes (more yummy local food) if you want, it will take about about 30-60 minutes. If you don't stop--maybe 20 minutes stroll? From the walk on the opposite side of the pier, you'll have seen a white building on a low hill. This is a former British police station that is now a hotel--The Tai O Heritage. I didn't stay, but did have a cup of tea in the big dining room/bar. It is lovely atmosphere near the water's edge and indeed, very British colonial heritage look.

Back at the center, I took the public bus along the hills, past the sea, past local beaches, to Mui Wo town. The bus stops at the ferry pier, where you can get a yummy espresso drink at Pacific Coffee, and board the ferry to HK Island.