Fodor's Travel Talk Forums

Fodor's Travel Talk Forums (https://www.fodors.com/community/)
-   Asia (https://www.fodors.com/community/asia/)
-   -   Langkawi resort suggestions for nice beach? (https://www.fodors.com/community/asia/langkawi-resort-suggestions-for-nice-beach-595848/)

jugould Mar 2nd, 2006 06:14 PM

Langkawi resort suggestions for nice beach?

I'm looking to spend my honeymoon this August in Langkawi. We're huge beach fans and are therefore looking for a luxury hotel (upwards of $300 USD per night ok) on or no more than 5 min walk from a beach. The Datai looks lovely, but the impression I get is that it's a far walk to the beach. I've been looking at Pangkor Laut, the Four Seasons and the Andaman as well. Does anyone have suggestions for which resort has the nicest beach? I'm also wondering if there are waves there. Thanks!

rhkkmk Mar 2nd, 2006 06:43 PM

datai is my choice

JamesA Mar 2nd, 2006 11:01 PM

I would check weather for Langkawi, I have visited the island several times but am no weather expert except that geographicaly it is opposed southern Thailand area that has heavy rain in August so I guess langkawi must be similar.

Lindsey Mar 2nd, 2006 11:25 PM

I have stayed at the Four Seasons, but only had dinner at the Datai.
The Four Seasons is right ON the beach....you literally walk out of some of the beach villas onto the sand. The regular rooms are just a few steps behind the villas. All the rooms have outdoor lounging and dining space.

The Datai is up on the cliff, a bit away from the beach. It appeared that some of the rooms might not have that outdoor space. If this is important to you, you might want to check. When I am on vacation in a beautiful resort, I love to sit outside my room to read, relax, have room service etc.
I have not been to Pangkor Laut, but I know it's quite a bit more difficult to reach (it's on a different island from Langkawi) and I have read in a few places that it is a bit tired and in need of renovation.
You can reach Langkawi on direct flights from either KL or Singapore. The resorts are only 20-30 minutes drive from the airport. I believe to get within a reasonable distance of Pangkor, you have to go through KL. Then another flight, then a boat ride, then a drive. It always seemed too much work to me.

jugould Mar 3rd, 2006 07:58 PM

Hi Lindsey- Did you like the Four Seasons when you stayed there? I've gotten mixed reports. Thanks for your reply!

Lindsey Mar 3rd, 2006 10:28 PM

We enjoyed our stay there very much. However it was shortly after the resort had opened and they were still experiencing some training issues. I have heard from others who have stayed there recently that this has all been ironed out. Only one of the restaurants was open at the time, but the food was excellent.
I would happy to answer any specific questions if I can.
We are definitely planning to go back again sometime. (We live in Singapore, so it's quite easy for us to reach.)

crellston Mar 3rd, 2006 11:03 PM

Langkawi is a great place to honeymoon we actually got married there about 9 years ago - the wedding was organised by The Datai where we stayed on for our own honeymoon. The main part of the hotel is set at the top of the hill where there is a massive swimming pool. The the villas are set along the paths that wind down the hill to the beach to another pool. The beach is one of the best I have been to. A few yards offshore there is a small island where the hotel will set you up with a picnic. I personally prefer the Datai to the Andaman.

We have not stayed at the 4 Seasons son cannot comment but have stayed at the Tanjung Rhu which is on the same beach (the beach is much larger than the Datai but very nice. 5* but just not in the same league as the other two.

bendigo Mar 5th, 2006 12:40 AM

Hi crellston,

We have actually won a holiday to the Datai.

What time of year were you there?
Are the picnics to the off-shore island sufficiently private to allow for some skinny-dipping?
We will be staying in an "end suite" in the main building - hoe long is the walk to the beach?

Thanks,

Rob

Tere Mar 6th, 2006 01:29 AM

I was in Langkawi last year and stayed at the Pelangi, nice hotel but not fantastic.
I went to check the Datai, the Four seasons and the Tanjung Rhu and the Tanjung Rhu had by far the best beach and was my favourite of all 3!

Lucyhda Mar 6th, 2006 10:44 AM

Been to all three hotels. The Datai is beautiful, great food, service and although a long way from the beach, it is superior to the other hotels. Four Seasons looks unkept, lawns allowed to grow brown, leaves unswept (was there last week). Andaman has wonderful beach but not so stylish as the Andman.

hobbes Mar 6th, 2006 03:25 PM

Second Tere. We stayed at Tanjung Rhu and found the beach and the beach access better then Datai. I find Pangkor Laut a little inconv tho it was a gorgeous hotel when we went there in 2002. Not been to Four Seasons.

Tere Mar 7th, 2006 01:51 AM

Hadn't noticed that you also referred the Pangkor Laut Resort. I also stayed there last August and thought it was a lovely resort, beautiful setting ,but the service and the food didn't match 5 stars. Like Hobbes said, it's difficult to get there and , in my opinion, not that worth it.
After 2 days you have nothing to do and it is boring.
I also paid an extra 200 euros per day to upgrade to a sea villa and regreted to do it. The garden or beach villas on the ground floor are much nicer and well located and have nice outdoor baths. Much better value for money.

crellston Mar 15th, 2006 09:52 PM

Hi Bendigo
Congratulations on winning the prize, and what a prize! You will love it. We have visited in January - clear blue skies 30c and April - a little cloudier but still great weather.

As for the skinny dipping, you should be ok on the offshore island unless of course you try it on the beach facing the main beach. Generally the island was used by one couple at a time so it was spretty secluded. Alternatively, there are 99 islands in the archipelago so get the hotel to rent you a boat and find somewhere really secluded.
The End suites are very nice and being in the end building are 10 mins from the beach (a steep walk) although they do run a buggy shuttle service

bendigo Mar 16th, 2006 04:44 PM

Thanks for the info crellston.

I think we are now looking at November for our trip - difficult to organise kids and the rest of our lives any sooner!

But the anticipation will be so much greater....

Rob