Fodor's Travel Talk Forums

Fodor's Travel Talk Forums (https://www.fodors.com/community/)
-   Asia (https://www.fodors.com/community/asia/)
-   -   langkawi island (https://www.fodors.com/community/asia/langkawi-island-501512/)

ferg Feb 5th, 2005 11:39 PM

langkawi island

We are planning a holiday to Langkawi in Jun/Jul and wanting to know a good resort in the middle price bracket. It must have a great swimming pool. We also like to find different restaurants at night so the hotel must be close to other eating places.

kdl Mar 9th, 2005 12:17 PM

Hi ferg,

we have just been back from 2 weeks in langkawi. We stayed at a hotel in Kuah town (Sheraton Perdana - was lovely and for our purposes - pure relax - very adequate). However, we also like to find different eateries at night, and there the choice in Kuah town wasn't that large - COMPARED to other areas on Langkawi. So if I had to choose again, I would get us a hotel in Pantai Cenang beach - the only area with a great sandy beach AND at the same time a more "bustling" feeling. There is like a main "high street" and around that street you have lots of hotels. The ones on the side of the street where the beach is are obviously a better choice. However, in Pantai Cenang quite a few smaller mid-range hotels dont't have a pool, or only a very small one, because the beach is so nice and people mostly go to the beach.

One which became our favourite on Pantai Cenang (also because of the food choices: tapas, and they even had real Sangria...) was Case del Mar, that is a smaller hotel with a great pool and right on the beach - but price-wise rather "upper mid-range" or higher. Anyway, their site is www.casadelmar-langkawi.com/ - gives you an idea.

I have heard good things also about the other Sheraton, the Sheraton Langkawi beach. Its very easy to get from its location a bit outside Pantai Cenang (its called Pantai Kok) to the restaurant spots more in the center of things - 5 min by taxi. I would imagine that through discount hotel sites or even Sheraton website you should be able to get interesting rates.

Also heard very good things about the Pelangi beach - a nice 4 star resort, same area as the Sheraton Langkawi here above, and similar standard. From what I heard from friends its more a family-type of resort.

Somebody here recommended www.asiahotels.com - maybe you can find interesting deals there.

kath.

JamesA Mar 9th, 2005 07:26 PM

I like the Pelangi Beach Resort, if you need cheaper try the Langkawi Holiday Village. Langkawi is very very quiet but a beautiful island. Renting a car is a good idea as so easy to drive around the island.

Do search out good deals and don't stick just to 1 operator as rates vary from one to another, search for resorts and hotels / resorts and compare prices. Some services ask you for credit card even to make an enquiry! Stick with those who will check accommodation first and then once you confirm you give over c/card info.

Walter_Walltotti Mar 10th, 2005 09:30 AM

I'd support the Sheraton Perdana - had a very nioce stay there 5 years ago. Quiet yet not a couple of minutes by taxi to kuah town.

triumphant Dec 20th, 2005 05:27 AM

Just came back from Langkawi. I must come back again in February because of a few reasons : we simply love the atmosphere and food in Bon Ton, we adore the exquisite pieces the Silk-Route Antique Gallery has (located in the big shopping mall in Kuah) and have made a few friends there. Coming froma city we must admit that we have never come across intellectuals like these business owners... Big recommendations to everyone... May Langkawi propser

triumphant Dec 20th, 2005 05:32 AM

Oh I forgot to mention, my husband was sick after our dinner at Mare Blu which is in front of a new Marina. If I am not mistaken it is near Mutira Hotel & Berjaya.... The whole place is run by locals and food, service and presentation was horrible!!!!

hornbill Dec 20th, 2005 06:01 PM

triumphant,

did you stay in bon ton??

thanks

Lindsey Dec 20th, 2005 08:54 PM

Hornbill,
I've stayed at Bon Ton twice and loved it both times. One of the more charming and certainly unique places in Malaysia. Did you have particular questions about it?

hornbill Dec 21st, 2005 12:02 AM

not really triumphant. its just that you mentioned you loved the atmosphere at bon ton but i was not sure if you stayed there. it looks really nice, intimate and romantic.

oh, by the way, there was a recent article in the local papers about a cooking class that one can take when in langkawi. it is run by this well travelled malay man who decided to retire in langkawi and build a typical wooden malay-style house with a large garden full of the spices that one would use for our local cooking. unfortunately, i cant remember his name (weeks back).

just in case you were interested in a cooking class in your next langkawi trip!

susumiki Dec 23rd, 2005 03:22 AM

hornbill

Here's the link to the article on the cooking class in Langkawi that you mentioned http://www.kuali.com/news/story.asp?...&sec=Kuali

hornbill Dec 23rd, 2005 06:36 AM

thanks so much susumiki