Fodor's Travel Talk Forums

Fodor's Travel Talk Forums (https://www.fodors.com/community/)
-   Asia (https://www.fodors.com/community/asia/)
-   -   LA-BKK on Thai Air: Is this a Fair Fare? (https://www.fodors.com/community/asia/la-bkk-on-thai-air-is-this-a-fair-fare-734341/)

AmyH Sep 5th, 2007 11:49 AM

LA-BKK on Thai Air: Is this a Fair Fare?

Was actually able to combine UA miles for one free ticket from Denver to BKK on the non-stop Thai Air flight from LA-BKK for next June's trip. Air fare is showing $1,300 pp in economy, inclusive of taxes. This seems slightly high. On the other hand, I really want to be on the non-stop. For those who travel this route, I have two questions:
1. Is the fare likely to go down later in the fall;
2. Is the flight likely to sell out given that it is the only non-stop flight to BKK from the West Coast?

Thanks to everyone on this board. Like planning our trip to Africa, I find Fodorites to be an invaluable resource!

Guenmai Sep 5th, 2007 12:00 PM

I just got back from BK day before yesterday. Although I was just on Singapore Air, I usually fly the L.A.-BK-L.A. non-stop on Thai Air 1-2 times a year...usually Dec/Jan and August... and the price seems right to me. It could go down some, but there's always a chance of it being sold out. If it goes down, then you might save about $150-$200 if you want to take the chance. However, your trip isn't until June 2008, so I'd wait a while and just call Thai Air and check periodically to see what the availability is and what the airfare is. Happy Travels!

Kristina Sep 5th, 2007 12:56 PM

Hi-Last week the fare for December was $1106 LAX-BKK on Thai. So I doubt it will do much more than what Guenmai said, fluctuate a couple of hundred or so. If you want to lock in your tickets, just buy now.

Also, while summer is generally "Low Season" in Thailand, airfares from the US certainly are not, so maybe that's why it's higher.

StanKase Sep 5th, 2007 02:09 PM

The above comments are correct. While I have only made 3 trips the fare will likely not vary more than 10%-12%. When you are spending so much on an Asian trip the small savings is a drop in the bucket.Last year for $400RT more we went Premium economy and it was worth every dollar having traveled coach and Bus. Class toasia and Europe a number of times.

Guenmai Sep 5th, 2007 04:50 PM

I bought my ticket on Thai Air, for December 2007, many months ago and it was around $1475. total in economy. I went on and bought it since I didn't want to take a chance of my dates being sold out later. I've never paid over $1500. total when my ticket has been bought way in advance. Now, if you wait until all of the so-called discounted economy is sold out then non-restricted economy fares pop in and they are well over $3,000. Happy Travels!

rhkkmk Sep 5th, 2007 05:20 PM

i cannot speak for thai from LA, but other airlines prices are higher in the spring/summer period than they are in the fall/winter when i comes to thailand....

i would grab it!!

Guenmai Sep 5th, 2007 07:07 PM

Plus, you have to remember with L.A. having the largest population of Thais outside of Thailand folks are traveling back and forth a lot. Even though my Thai friends try to go when the fare is lower, there are still a lot of Thais on these flights even during the higher seasons. Some are taking their American-schooled kids back to Thailand for vacation and of course school is out in June here in the States. Happy Travels!

mrwunrfl Sep 5th, 2007 07:14 PM

Yes, that is a fair fare from fair Denver. A merry fare if it is on the same flights that you booked the award ticket on.

tweety817 Sep 6th, 2007 07:37 AM

I just returned from BKK JFK on the Thai Air nonstop. I'll never go another way again. The 17 hours seemed like 5. Comfortable seats and great service. The price you quote seems fair. Grab it now.

BillT Sep 6th, 2007 08:51 AM

We bought one ticket and used ff miles for the other. Houston to BKK - we are flying United in mid January and the cost of the ticket was $1150.

AmyH Sep 6th, 2007 09:34 AM

tweety-
May I ask if you were in economy or economy plus?

BillT Sep 6th, 2007 09:40 AM

Economy

Guenmai Sep 6th, 2007 09:45 AM

Kristina...But WHEN in December? I leave in mid-December and it's not that fare then. There can be a big difference in fares depending on what week you buy in the same month. Happy Travels!

mrwunrfl Sep 6th, 2007 10:08 AM

You could wait to buy the tickets in order to possibly save $200, but there is a risk. The fare might never be offered for your travel dates, or close to them, and it is possible that the fare will go up.

You might get that fare and find that you can't travel on the same days, at that fare, as the award ticket passenger. OTOH, United will allow you to change your award ticket travel dates as long as you haven't started travel (once you start travel on the award ticket you won't be able to make any changes to it because it involves a partner).

So, if you wait and have to book the revenue ticket on different dates than the award passenger then you might be able to change the award ticket to those dates if award seats are available on those dates.

Kristina Sep 6th, 2007 10:29 AM

Guenmai-
First week of December, technically leaving end Nov. I think the price goes up Dec. 1.
When I check my dates, it's still coming up as $1101.
When I put in Dec 1 as the departure date, it comes up as $1235!

Guenmai Sep 6th, 2007 12:05 PM

Kristina...That's what I expected and as I stated my mid-December was about $1475 which is about what I pay every December with a return in January. Happy Travels!

DonTopaz Sep 6th, 2007 12:50 PM

The low season for fares for round-trip flights from LA to Thailand is from Sep 1 - Nov 30, and from Jan 8 - May 20. That's the date for the outbound flight; the return can be any date that's at leat 6 days and less than 6 months from the outbound trip.

As Guenmai says, that's all based on the availability of the lower-cost seats on any given day.

rhkkmk Sep 6th, 2007 06:08 PM

thanks don for those dates