Fodor's Travel Talk Forums

Fodor's Travel Talk Forums (https://www.fodors.com/community/)
-   Asia (https://www.fodors.com/community/asia/)
-   -   KYOTO SHOPPING...eyeglasses and clothing..few details on food (https://www.fodors.com/community/asia/kyoto-shopping-eyeglasses-and-clothing-few-details-on-food-1667148/)

ekscrunchy May 17th, 2019 01:19 AM

KYOTO SHOPPING...eyeglasses and clothing..few details on food

I got a few responses on another thread, but now that I am here and have not seen any glasses shops yet (too busy with important sites; GoodWill Guide was free and marvelous!!)..

What area should I focus on for buying loose fitting, linen- or linen-like Japanese (think Commes des Garcons-style but not necessarily by her brand;hopefully less $$$!!!). Reader glasses??

Here for about a week at Ritz Carlton which is near the river.

Have already scouted out what looks like a great (non-Englilsh-speaking but super welcoming) izakaya for next week.....will be searching for more places off the tourist map. Already cancelled Tempura Matsu (35 minutes away by taxi and taxis are not cheap!) in favor of a new tempura place which the recommender has a lot of hesitation due to fact that there is little English, etc.

I already see, after barely 20 hours here, that many non-Japanese tourists flock to a certain group of eating places while ignoring others..our own concierge tried to talk us out of the new tempura place but we persisted..more to come!!

curiousgeo May 17th, 2019 09:39 AM

A week in Kyoto, that’s awesome, you’ll really love it there. Since you’ll be there for a while I’ll throw in a few food suggestions.

Omen, an udon restaurant with a branch just off Pontocho in central Kyoto. Their main store is up near the Silver Pavilion (Ginkakuji) and the Path of Philosophy which is my favorite walk in Kyoto.

Katsukura, a small local chain with a store near the Nishiki Market at Shijo Karasuma. Their Katsu donburi is reasonable and delicious, rice topped with pork cutlet and egg, counter seating as well as tables.

if you get tired of Japanese food, Le Bouchon is a nice reasonable neighborhood bistro popular with expats and locals.

Guenmai May 17th, 2019 10:59 AM

https://www.noriem.jp/en/shoplist/

https://www.noriem.jp/en/collection/

I haven’t been to the one in Kyoto as I go to the one in Tokyo in Ginza. The prices are lower than Rei’s, Commes des Garcon clothing, but is still Japanese-style, loose-fitting, flowing clothing.

Over many years, I have bought a lot of Yacco Maricard clothing as I buy the clothes in both Bangkok and Tokyo. I like color although they also have black clothing for those who might wear a lot of black. The clothing is made of linen, cotton, and silk.

As for Kyoto, one will need to ask around to see if the line is sold in the stores there as I bought some pieces in Osaka at Hankyu when I took the train there to shop for some hours and then return to Kyoto. Plus, I have 5 places where I buy it in Tokyo and several in Bangkok. I had to go to Osaka for other shopping as salespeople in Kyoto had mentioned to go to Osaka to look for some items that I couldn’t find in Kyoto. It’s only 560 yen and 35 minutes, one way, to get there to the Umeda stop and the department stores are right there at the train station. Convenient.

I have bought some Yacco Maricard black, clothing pieces that have looked like Commes des Garcon and especially some of the limited-edition skirts. In January 2019, I bought an oversized, black, heavy-cotton, limited-edition deconstructed, Yacco Maricard skirt in Bangkok, that looked very Commes des Garcon.

Brand 'YACCOMARICARD' | YACCOMARICARD

Happy Travels!

HappyTrvlr May 17th, 2019 11:37 AM

Torito, Kawabata Marutamadi, serves delicious yakitori across the river, by the bridge, from the Ritz Carlton. Small place, and we were the only non-Jaoanese having dinner there. After all the eating, it was nice to eat a simple delicious grilled meal. Very good salads too.Not expensive, a nice change.

ekscrunchy May 17th, 2019 06:08 PM

Happy, thanks! Will check into that yakitori place. We also happened upon an izakaya just across the bridge from the hotel and a few steps south. They speak no English but took a reservation for early next week. When I mentioned to the hotel concierge that I had booked dinner there, they told me that "oooh, that place is too local, you might not enjoy!" Might be the same place you found!!

Question: Has anyone here had experience buying Issey Miyake in Japan and if so, how do prices compare to those in the US??? I like the Pleats, Please line. The Miyake BaoBao bags look to be the original of those often-copied origami-folded bags mentioned by Guenmai on another thread.

Still have found no glasses but have only been here a day. Yesterday had a tour with a GoodWill guide, which was excellent, and free!!

curiousgeo May 17th, 2019 06:24 PM

There are many small restaurants in Kyoto where they speak little or no English and the menu is completely in Japanese. That may be the reason for the concierge reaction. It doesn’t mean you won’t have a nice meal or receive good service, you just may not be able to explore the full range of what that place offers. But polite pointing, a friendly smile and willingness to try something new goes a long way to having a great experience.

Guenmai May 17th, 2019 06:52 PM

1) Yes, I buy Issey Miyake in Japan and other parts of Asia and the prices have been lower. Plus, there's tax free. I bought some Pleats Please pieces in Bangkok in Jan 2019 and on sale for 75% off. It wasn't the generic, Pleats Please pieces though. Plus, I find sales. I've also looked at various Pleats Please pieces in Japan. <br /><br />2) I have no idea what is meant by, "The Miyake BaoBao bags look to be the original of those often-copied origami-folded bags mentioned by Guenmai on another thread. " As for Bao Bao, I have several, original Bao Bao bags and they're less expensive in Japan than they are in the U.S. as I've bought them both here and there. There's an Issey Miyake boutique in Kyoto, but not with a lot of Bao Bao styles which is why when I was told to go to Osaka for Bao Bao, I got on a train and went to Hankyu in Osaka and found what I was looking for right away.<br /><br />3) As for copies, I remember you commenting something about not wanting items that are copied and I asked as to what isn't copied? There are plenty of copies of Bao Bao all over Asia and have been for many years and there's a whole store of copies at an out-of-state outlet that I saw online. For me, knowing that there are copies out there doesn't bother me, even if I have bought an authentic item as my authentic items have held up and also done really well if I want to resell them. <br /><br />4) As for my authentic Hanaa-Fu origami bag, that you’re referring to, I have no regrets having purchased it and as for copies of it, I remember you posting that you saw copies in NYC. I haven't seen any copies, but it wouldn't bother me if I were to see some. <div style="text-align:left;">5) So, as for Bao Bao, since you've made it quite clear that you don't buy items that have been copied, then I'd suggest that you cross Bao Bao off your list if that’s what you plan to purchase. Does that also apply to Commes des Garcon? And you can also cross off Pleats Please as there have been so many copies of it out there that I can’t even remember what year or decade that I first saw copies. </div><br />Have a great time in Kyoto. <br /><br />Happy Travels!<br />

ekscrunchy May 18th, 2019 12:12 AM

Ok, thanks for the copious personal info. As for copies, there are copies that are appropriated and changed in an interesting way, and then there are copies that are churned out by the Chinese factories outside Prato and then sold on he streets of New York by the West African vendors. Take those now tacky-looking Goyard totes. Everyone is influenced by everyone else. I imagine that Eileen Fisher has taken a good long look at Miyake, for example.

Speaking of designers, who did I run into today coming out of my hotel? An iconic Italian designer who may be the last one alive from his generation. Minimal, deconstructed clothing at least in the beginning. Still looks great at age 80-plus, imagine. With quite an entourage, all piling into a fleet of Mercedes S cars.

Back to the original topic: I'm just asking about how the prices of Issey Miyake compare with those in the US. I want to know if it isi worthwhile for me to spend hours of my precious time here to save a few dollars. I am most definitely NOT a fashionista person, and am NOT interested in resale.

I have a fair amount of Commes de Garcons from decades ago (early 80s, I imagine) but hardly get a chance to wear them and am not interested in acquiring more, although they certainly look great aside from the moth holes in many of the wool dresses! Ouch, my fault on that!

So. let's keep to the original question if we may, please.

Guenmai May 18th, 2019 12:51 AM

I don’t know what the upset is about. I totally didn’t understand what you meant by the statement that you posted about Bao Bao and origami bags or why origami bags were brought up again as you had commented about it in Vickeybypasses thread, post #44 and #46, after I had mentioned to her that I had found the Hanaa-fu origami bag and thought it was cool. She was talking about shopping ideas in Japan and commented about my comment about that bag and was asking me about it.

https://www.fodors.com/community/asi...-days-1665452/

In your recent thread, I thought that maybe you were saying that Bao Bao was the original and that Hanaa-fu came out of Bao Bao which was confusing to me since they are two totally different bags. I was just trying to figure out what you were saying. That’s it. And as for your comments on Bao Bao, when I first read it I thought that you were possibly talking about buying one which is the only reason why I took the time to post what I did.

Your Pleats Please question was answered and as for you mentioning not being interested in resale items, I don’t know where that's coming from.

Happy Travels!

HappyTrvlr May 18th, 2019 06:55 AM

Ekscrunchy, very little , if any, English spoken in the small local places we loved. Our Tokyo and Kyoto hotel concierges sent us to several when we expressed a desire to focus on those.
Pricey but terrific, teppan at Kyoto’s Teppan Steak Aoyama, 8 seats, others Japanese ( mature men with young women) , one chef could communicate with us enough to make it work. Steak and scallops, salad, plus a dessert the others ordered that was fabulous.We do not eat much beef but this was out of this world!

ekscrunchy May 18th, 2019 03:10 PM

<For me, knowing that there are copies out there doesn't bother me, even if I have bought an authentic item as my authentic items have held up and also done really well if I want to resell them.>

That was why I made the comment that I am not interested in resale, Guen. That YaccoM line sounds terrific!

Happy...You've been so helpful! Had an adventure last night and will report later..

HappyTrvlr May 19th, 2019 09:09 AM

Through the years, I have received so many wonderful dining recommendations from your trip reports! A restaurant outside of Alba in the Piemonte comes to mind. I am glad that I am able to offer some suggestions from our recent trip to Japan to you. I also have a funky sushi place but I understand your partner won’t eat fish.

HappyTrvlr May 20th, 2019 02:05 PM

You recommended Profumo di Vino in Treiso. Wonderful place.

ekscrunchy May 20th, 2019 11:51 PM

I remember that restaurant! I think we ate there twice.

Day before yesterday we went to a place just across the river and one block south, from hotel. Korean owners living here for a few generations. Excellent! Just near the Fresco supermarket, on the corner.
I had noticed a sticker from Michelin so I think they are a Bib Gourmand. Whether or not that is true, it was lovely!! A tofu soup with clams, some fried pancakes, and mandoo (dumplings)
There is no name outside in English but the server wrote down the name as BINYO SHOKUDON. Very good address to keep in mind especially if staying in the area. This is the first trip in a long time that I am not taking notes, just saving receipts but can offer more info if anyone wants..... Dinner for two about USD$60 with one small bottle rice wine.

https://jp.openrice.com/en/kyoto/r-p...r569523/photos

Tonight we are headed for an izakaya on the same riverfront stretch, across bridge from hotel, which we booked a few nights ago.
Looked good, no English; very welcoming when we walked in....

yestravel Jun 11th, 2019 04:28 PM

Some good info fir our fall trip.
Ekscrunchy-will you. E doing a TR? I always pick up great refs from your TRs.