2+3 days in Hong Kong - help w. planning

Search

Search this Thread

Old Jun 17th, 2015, 03:40 PM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

We will be in Hong Kong mid November for 2 days (Wed, Thu) w. jet leg. We want to take it easy. On the way back to the States, we will spend 3 more days in Hong Kong (Sat, Sun, Mon). We will stay in TST close to the TST metro stop.

Day 1 we plan to take the Tram and if the weather is nice, stop for the Peak and then maybe spend some time on the Promenade in TST and around, taking the Star Ferry back and forth, etc. Hopefully we will not fall asleep while walking around .

We would like during our two part stay to walk in Central, Wan Chai, Soho; go to Victoria Park one morning; spend one day or so in TST (Art Museum, Temple St Market); maybe go to Aberdeen/Stanley. Maybe take the escalators.

We don't like to cram too much in a day for the sake of saying that we have been there too and we are not into shopping. We realize that we will not be able to see everything that Hong Kong has to offer.

Based on the above considered sites, how would you organize sightseeing by day to "make it flow" ?

Thanks in advance.
Old Jun 17th, 2015, 05:01 PM

I wouldn't bother with the Temple street Market - full of tourist junk.

I'd add in some of Hong Kong's lovely parks, on both sides of the water. Walking in the parks in the morning is lovely and you get to see the locals doing Tai Chi.
Old Jun 17th, 2015, 05:14 PM

While I have no problem with taking it easy, you shouldn't limit yourself to such a small area of HK. It is really VERY SMALL. For example, I can walk through Victoria Park in 5 minutes or around every corner in about 30. You cannot spend a whole morning there, LOL, and there's nothing to see anyways.

Here's what I think. Your first full day in HK should be very leisurely - you will want to go back to hotel for a nap in the afternoon, trust me. So, walk around TST and/or take the Star Ferry to HK side. Taking the tram is fine, but probably save the Peak for another day so you can go back to rest.

All junk in the Ladies' Market and Temple St Markets. But if one has nothing else planned for the evening, it's not a bad idea to stroll around.

Now, for the other days you have, you can have one for mostly HK Island - The Peak, Repulse Bay, Stanley, etc. Aberdeen has little to offer nowadays. There are lots of quiet paths around the Peak AWAY from the tourists at the Peak Tram station. That IS worth spending a morning at.

Another day you should visit one of the islands. You can do Tai O and Big Buddha on Lantau. Or you can do Cheung Chau. But don't go on the Sunday.

The rest, the museums are okay, though they are not that huge. Wong Tai Sin Temple and Chi Lin Nunnery/Nan Lian Gardens are all easily accessible by MTR from Tsim Sha Tsui.
Old Jun 17th, 2015, 09:25 PM
Original Poster

Thanks for the great suggestions. I didn't realize that everything is so close.... Hopefully if I go to sleep Day 1 in the afternoon I will be able to get up in a few hours...

We will be there (without jet leg) on a Saturday, Sunday (Monday). What should I plan for the weekend without the crowds?

Thanks again, very helpful comments.
Old Jun 17th, 2015, 09:33 PM

Just avoid going to Lantau (Tai O and Big Buddha) on Sunday. Longer lines for transportation and higher cost for buses. Otherwise, basically all fine.

And November is really the best time to visit HK. Fairly cool, usually dry.
Old Jun 18th, 2015, 06:54 PM
Original Poster

Thanks, I will look into all of the options and get back if I have questions.
Old Jun 19th, 2015, 10:03 PM

You gotta save Monday for Sai Kung. Grab the MTR to Sha Tin, then bus 299X direct to SK. Your preference for genuine hill climbing to the McLehose trail, about 90 mins, then back via a different trail. Or onto Wong Shek Pier by bus 94 via the true countryside, 30 mins. Take a ferry to Tap Mun Is. and have a bite to eat, walk around the small island. Back to SK for best seafood in all HK. Enjoy the English pubs, the French eateries, the Chinese temples and total pedestrian village of 'Old Sai Kung'. It's all cheap enough. Golf? The only public golf in HK, at SK. Ferry ride to golf island, easy and interesting. Weekends way too crowded with local tourists getting out of concrete jungle.
Old Jun 20th, 2015, 05:06 AM

Received 5 Likes on 3 Posts
Suzanna, we spent 3 nights in HK at the beginning of a long trip to Oz/NZ, and found more than enough to fill our time just exploring the centre and the Peak, though jobin's suggestion for Monday sound excellent.

We stayed on Kowloon side near the Star Ferry and spent our first day crossing over to Central, riding the escalators right up to the top, then walking up to the Dr. Sun Yat Sen Museum.

http://hk.drsunyatsen.museum/index.php

The next day we spent riding the trams which took us out to a very "local" market to the east of the city, and then went up to the markets rather than the Peak as it was raining, though we did finally get there on our last day, and did a walk right up to the top which up might enjoy.

for further more detailed, details, see my TR here:

http://www.fodors.com/community/asia...-hong-kong.cfm

Have a great time!
Old Jun 20th, 2015, 12:30 PM

If you are going to be in HK on a Sunday, the island Cheung Chau is not too crowded and it is a delight to get away from the hustle and bustle of Central and TST.
Old Jun 22nd, 2015, 10:55 PM

I loved HK and can hardly wait to return!!
Four days was not enough time!!
As others have said, DO make time for at least one of the outlying islands--all nice ferry rides . I loved Tai O, but make sure to get away from the crowds near the market (where you can get yummy street food) where the bus stops. Go all the way to the end of the path (as you're facing the water, that is on the right) past the houses on stilts, and out to the Tai O Heritage Hotel --a refurbished govt building--for a cup of tea or other drink.it's a wonderful walk and amazingly, I was the only "westerner" once away from the central market area.
Although they are usually combined as a tourist attraction trip,I did not go to Big Buddha (for next time) since the long line for the tram was terrible. (You can prebook but i didn't do that--next time!) Instead, I took a local bus out to Tai O from the Tung Chung (?) Station.
If you head out to Sai Kung (you take the Metro to Diamond Hill)rght next to it is beautiful Nan Lian garden. After that, you can get the local bus to the harbor at Sai Kung.
The local busses are great--many double deckers. try to sit in the front row on top--there are even seatbelzt!

Here's an idea for your first full arrrival day, which is usually frowned upon by Fodors Folks, but which works if you want an easy overview on your first jet lagged day! It is what I-- tired and overwhelmed from long flights--did, with no regrets!! Do a day tour overview with a local company. It is easy and when you're tired, planning public transport--even if usually easy--can seem a huge chore! You can There are some companies that will pick you up at your hotel, take you to Victoria Peak, then to Aberdeen (where they'll take you for a brief boat ride) and Stanley. From here, you can continue back with the bus company, or if you're up to it, get out at Stanley, have a reading walk around the water there to the little Pak Tai temple in the rocks overlooking the bay, and take a bus back to Kowloon. Check out the lively streets at night near your hotel in TST or farther into Kowloon, then...sleep!!

It's great that you are there for two days...then three more days! Use the first days for "getting a sense of it" overview perhaps,doing whatever yo can of your plans, and on the return, when you will presumably have more energy, do lots more. Just thinking of the place makes me happy!!
Old Jul 2nd, 2015, 08:59 AM
Original Poster

Thanks again for the many great ideas and pointers. Now I just have to pick from the many options.

Other than Victoria Park, which parks are worth stopping by?
Old Jul 2nd, 2015, 09:22 AM
Original Poster

Ann, thanks a lot for your very helpful trip report that I just read (I was away for a while and had to set aside trip planning).
Old Jul 2nd, 2015, 09:25 AM

I have to admit to never having been to Victoria Park. I love Hong Kong Park with the interesting tea museum and Kowloon Park.
Old Jul 2nd, 2015, 10:47 AM

Received 5 Likes on 3 Posts
Glad to have been of help, Suzanna,