Fodor's Travel Talk Forums

Fodor's Travel Talk Forums (https://www.fodors.com/community/)
-   Asia (https://www.fodors.com/community/asia/)
-   -   Kyoto Hotel vs. Ryo. (https://www.fodors.com/community/asia/kyoto-hotel-vs-ryo-1471806/)

jannan Sep 10th, 2017 06:08 AM

Kyoto Hotel vs. Ryo.

I will be complete the Tokyo marathon at the end of Feb. 2018 and my wife and I will be going to Kyoto for 4 days directly after, using that a base to explore the area around.

I've read about some of the recommended ryokans, but I'm wondering if for 4 days or coming and going would a more traditional hotel would be more comfortable? Do these ryokans operate as almost a destination in themselves? I'm really looking for a comfortable place to sleep while we travel about.

Thanks!

kja Sep 10th, 2017 08:14 AM

Most ryokan are "destinations," rather than simply places to stay. And they are known for their meals, which can are often savored over the course of multiple hours. It can be quite a wonderful experience, but I wouldn't want it for more than a night or two.

Also - if you want a Western style bed, rather than a Japanese mattress on a tatami, look for that when you search for your accommodation.

BigRuss Sep 10th, 2017 12:11 PM

Or get a vrbo/flipkey/airbnb place. Kyoto is filled with them.

mrwunrfl Sep 10th, 2017 04:51 PM

>>operate as almost a destination in themselves?

Pretty much, yes, for a traditional ryokan. Truer for an onsen ryokan. Typically, choosing a ryokan means that you are also choosing to have dinner there at a scheduled time. Same with breakfast. Some have limited meal options, but more likely it is a set meal.

bussa17 Sep 10th, 2017 07:44 PM

I think that the Ryokan experience is worth, even for just one night or so. I personally think that u can stay the all 4 nights no problem, and it would be a real full immersion in the japanese culture. Only thing is that most "good " ryokan are a bit away from the center of the city and sometimes more expensive than hotels.

srsddan2017 Sep 10th, 2017 09:36 PM

It's cold enough in February so I prefer hotels over Japanese style ryokans or apartments.

lcuy Sep 10th, 2017 09:50 PM

There are lots of Ryokan in 'downtown' Kyoto. They are expensive, but I would try to stay in one for at least one night, or even better, two nights. I would not commit to 4 nights, however, as the amount of food, and the time spent eating can mean you won't be able to get out and about as much. We often mixed a two night Ryokan stay with another hotel in a city.

Kavey Sep 11th, 2017 06:58 AM

At Shiraume, when we went in 2012, they certainly offered a DBB rate and a BB rate, so worth checking if they still do that.

marvelousmouse Sep 11th, 2017 10:12 PM

One thing that you may want to keep in mind is check in and check out and after hours access. A hotel is a lot more likely to have 24 hour reception and some people like that. Ryokans or smaller establishments are generally very specific/personal in terms of service, such as meals- which is in part what makes them amazing- but also a lack of flexibility that I would not necessarily want every night of the trip, as sometimes I'd prefer anonymity I'd get at a hotel. There are plenty of amazing food options in Kyoto, too. Can you do a ryokan elsewhere or is kyoto your only stop? Because you should definitely try to stay at an onsen ryokan somewhere!

Hotels can have both Japanese and western style rooms. I stayed in both. I actually think the futon was more comfortable than the western style bed, but I did stay in budget hotels.