Go Back  Fodor's Travel Talk Forums > Destinations > Asia
Reload this Page >

Kuredu Resort, Maldives - has anyone been?

Search

Search this Thread

Old Jan 28th, 2004, 03:50 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I'm getting married in August 04 and am researching the Maldives for my honeymoon. I would prefer an all inclusive package as I have read that it is expensive to eat and drink on the islands. I would also love accommodation in a beach bungalow.
I have been quoted an excellent price for the Kuredu Resort and I was wondering if any of you have been here and could give me your opinion on the accommodation, food, entertainment (if any), water sports etc.
Thanks!
Old Jan 28th, 2004, 08:02 PM

you may want to try posting this on the Australian/South Pacific board. From the pictures I've seen of the Maldives, they sound like paradise...
Old Jan 29th, 2004, 10:54 PM

Hi

The Maldives is not located in Australian/South Pacific so I don't see any reason why the question should be posted there.

I'm also planning on going to the Maldives in April this year and it looks amazing. My wife and I are planning to go to Sun Island (http://www.sunislandmaldives.com/page.html)

I assume that you have checked out http://www.visitmaldives.com/

I will post a trip report from our trip when I return. The trip report will be posted on my personal homepage www.gardkarlsen.com

Regards
Gard
Stavanger, Norway
Old Jan 30th, 2004, 02:10 AM

What would specifically would you like to know?

My husband and I went in August 2003 and spent 2 very needed weeks of rest and relaxation there.

We loved it but it was exactly what we were looking for.

Gorgeous, warm ocean, beautiful beaches, decent spa treatments, and excellent water sports.

Outside of those things there is really nothing to do, but if you love the beach and ocean, snorkeling, diving (the dive staff were very good), and just chilling out, you'll have a great time.

The food is just okay, but definitely decent. We never wanted for anything but heard other people complaining about the food. The clientele is mostly British and between 25 and 35. In August, there were very few children, and a ton of honeymooners!

Bring a lot of reading material, you will spend a lot of time chilling out on the beach or the deck, I ran out very quickly!

And it is very hot, but not unbearably so, just be sure to bring appropriate clothing and a lot of sunscreen!

A flashlight will also be useful! There are a lot of teeny crabs that crawl everywhere and at night, if you don't want to step on them as you walk around, you'll need this.

You are in for a magnificent holiday.
Old Jan 30th, 2004, 04:42 AM
Original Poster

Thanks Gard - I'll log onto your site in April - hope you have a lovely time.
Stargazer - again thanks for the information. I was wondering what type of accommodation you stayed in. I have been looking at their beach bungalows and have read that you need to book a superior one if you wish to get air conditioning. What would you recommend?
Old Jan 30th, 2004, 04:57 AM

I believe that all of the accomodation has air conditioning now. They did a major overhaul last year and upgraded a lot of their rooms.

It depends on how much of a difference they are quoting. We were in a basic beach bungalow on the opposite side of the island from where you arrive and eat. This side of the island gets absolutely stunning sunsets.

We rushed back at 6:30 to pull out our chairs and be seated for the sun to go down at exactly 7. It goes really quickly.

But the beach that you will probably spend your days on is on the side of the restaurant. (a five minute walk, you can walk around the entire island in under an hour!)

I did not understand the water villas... they are not on a beach... and didn't look like they would be worth it.

But a private jacuzzi (available in some) would be welcome if it wasn't that much more expensive! I believe those accomodations also include a CD player... which the beach bungalows lack.
Old Jan 30th, 2004, 05:39 AM
Original Poster

What are the bars like in the resort and is there organised entertainment? We're not looking for anything too lively but as we're going for a fortnight it would be good to know if there were places to go in the evening. I must admit though, sitting on the beach looking at the sun going down sounds idyllic. We probably won't want to go anywhere else!