Reload this Page >

Kunming-Yangshuo-Xian in 9 days?

Search

Search this Thread

Old May 27th, 2002, 09:26 AM
Sandy

We have 9 full days after our tour ends . . . do we have enough time to go to these places?<BR><BR>Days 1-3, Fly to Kunming<BR>Days 4-6, fly to Guilin, bus to Yanghsuo<BR>Days 7-9, Bus back to Guilin, fly to Xian<BR>Day 9, take night train back to Beijing for our flight out on Day 10 (at 12:45 in the afternoon).<BR><BR>Can anyone tell me how much these flights would be or direct me to a website? Should we expect to have any problems getting flights in July?<BR><BR>Are we trying to do/see too much? Suggestions anyone?<BR><BR>Thanks in advance!<BR>Sandy<BR><BR>

Old May 27th, 2002, 03:21 PM
kang

Your itinerary is pretty tight and all the transportations would have to be connected very well to allow you enough time to fully enjoy those places. But it is certainly doable and chances are it is going to work just fine.<BR><BR>I don't think there will be problems for flight tickets. For most domestic airlines, supplies are still bigger than demands. You don't have to book your tickets in advance but always get your tickets for your next destination as the first thing to do upon arriving in a new place. You can ask local Chinese travel agencies to buy flight tickets for you, usually faster and probably cheaper than you do it by yourself.<BR><BR>You can find ticket prices between cities in the tour book titled "Let's go China". I found their info quite reliable.<BR><BR>I am not sure about the train ticket from Xi'an to Beijing. I'd assume there shouldn't be much problem either.

Old May 27th, 2002, 07:13 PM
Alison

Kang is right, it will be tight as these places have soooo much to see. From Kunming you can go to Lijiang and Dali (among others). One suggestion I do have is not to take a bus from Guilin to Yangshou. You should definitely take the Li river Cruise. The trip is beeautiful and cost about $50pp for everyone, i.e. foreigners and Chinese, as far as I know. We stayed two nights in Yangshou and I could have stayed more. Better to stay more time in Yangshou than Guilin, when we were there last June (2001) there was lots of construction. There are some good parks and a touristy night market by the Sheraton, but more things to do (biking!) in Yangshou. I have not been to Xian, but would suggest spreading your nine days just in Yunnan and Guangxi Provinces.<BR><BR>Have a wonderful trip. Alison

Old May 28th, 2002, 06:32 AM
Sandy

Thanks Kang and Alison, that's exactly what kind of advice I need. I don't want to push it, I want to be able to enjoy what I'm seeing and not be worried about rushing off to the next destination.<BR><BR>So . . . I've revised the plan. The new and improved plan is . . .<BR><BR>Day 1, spend extra day in Beijing, take night train to Xian<BR><BR>Days 2, 3, 4, Xian<BR><BR>Day 5, Fly to Guilin, take bus to Yangshuo<BR><BR>Days 6,7, Yangshuo<BR><BR>Day 8, bus back to Guilin<BR><BR>Day 9, fly back to Beijing<BR><BR>If anyone else has any suggestions, I'm happy to hear them.<BR><BR>Thanks,<BR>Sandy

Old May 31st, 2002, 04:22 AM
daniel

bonjour Sandy.<BR>Your new itinary is more realistic. We were in those cities(except Guilin) in april. In Yangshuo, we had a young guide called Sam for a bicycle ride in the countryside. We had a very nice day with him (even had lunch with him and is family at his home) . I can recommend him without hesitation. If you want is e-mail or mor infos on those cities,just send me a post .<BR>Daniel

Old Jun 1st, 2002, 04:36 AM
kang

The city of Xian and the terracotta don't need 3 full days, two days will be fine. Reducing long distance travelling is a wise decision but you still need to most effectively utilize your very limited available days in China. In fact, you may waste additional one day in Beijing according to your new itinerary.<BR><BR>Reserve two days for Xi'an city and the terracotta, including some other sites nearby the terracotta. Plan other two days for some activities either somewhere near Beijing(maybe other part of the Great Wall?), or somewhere near Xi'an(maybe Huashan mountain?). <BR><BR>The rest of your itinerary looks good.<BR><BR>

Old Mar 6th, 2003, 09:06 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I'm curious, Sandy, why you seem to be fighting the idea of transport between Guilin and Yangshou by the Li River, which everyone normally says is fantastic? Or to others, is this possible as a means of transport (with luggage) or strictly a pleasure cruise? Is it possible to actually take the boat with luggage one way then return by bus?
Old Mar 7th, 2003, 05:51 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
To Patrick,<BR><BR>We had read that the cruise from Guilin to Yangshuo was very expensive and left early in the a.m. <BR><BR>Number 1, we're budget travelers and Number 2, we felt we'd probably be arriving by plane too late to catch the cruise.<BR><BR>We decided to take the 1-hr bus to Yangshuo and see about getting a cruise up the Li River (or part of it) from there (which we did). And yes, it is beautiful!<BR><BR>I typed up my travelog and would be happy to send it to you, if you want, it has more details (my email is below). <BR><BR>We actually ended up flying from Beijing (where our tour ended) to Xian, flew to Guilin, bused to Yangshuo, flew back to Beijing (from Guilin), and home. We had planned to stay a day/night in Guilin but once in Yangshuo, it was so wonderful, we decided to spend our extra time there.<BR><BR>Have a great trip,<BR>Sandy ([email protected])