Fodor's Travel Talk Forums

Fodor's Travel Talk Forums (https://www.fodors.com/community/)
-   Asia (https://www.fodors.com/community/asia/)
-   -   KUL - worth visiting for a day? (https://www.fodors.com/community/asia/kul-worth-visiting-for-a-day-814353/)

tengohambre Nov 14th, 2009 10:11 AM

KUL - worth visiting for a day?

We are trying to lock down the specifics of an August trip to BKK and Bali. One question we have is whether we should add a day in KUL immediately prior to flying home. Is there a lot to see and so in KUL, even for a day or so? Our son would love to see the Towers, as would we, and for some reason KUL has always seemed interesting, exotic.

Yet, if we go this route, it adds some complexity to our plans. Right now we would plan to fly into Bali, spend time there, and then fly home from BKK. We would generally prefer this. Relax first, get over the jet lag, then visit BKK.

If we add KUL, however, we likely would have to visit BKK first, then go to Bali, then spend a day in KUL and then home. If we go this route, versus traveling to Bali first, it means catching a 6 a.m. flight from BKK to Bali, and then another short hop from Bali to KUL, before going home. The other way we relax in Bali, take one flight to BKK, then home. Thus, is the addition of a day or so in KUL worth the extra hassle? The intra-Asia flights would be on AirAsia.

Thanks.

Smeagol Nov 14th, 2009 10:17 AM

I felt the way you do about KUL before we went last year, but i would save your visit till it makes your schedule less difficult. Personally whilst KL is a nice place to stay/visit i wouldn't make that extra effort. Wait till you are going to Malaysia OR are actually routing thru KUL. Its just not worth it (IMHO)

Femi Nov 14th, 2009 01:22 PM

I agree with Smeagol, save it for another trip. It was nice, but not worth going out of your way.

tengohambre Nov 14th, 2009 01:47 PM

Thank you for that feedback. We are trying to avoid that 6 a.m. flight out of BKK, which would probably mean getting up at 4 a.m., or so. We have done that before and it kills the whole day, traveling with kids, because everyone is so tired by early evening. And, the addition of KUL means another round of packing and unpacking. Maybe we have to see the Petronas Towers only on Flickr?
Thanks.

MichaelBKK Nov 14th, 2009 05:44 PM

Not to argue with the advice, which I'd agree with, but I don't quite understand why adding KUL would change your scheduling so drastically. Both Air Asia and Malaysian Air fly Bali - KUL and KUL - BKK so I don't see why you couldn't do KUL between Bali and Bangkok.

tengohambre Nov 14th, 2009 07:23 PM

Adding KUL to the end of our trip mostly has to do with the flights we would take to SEAsia. They would likely be on Korean. Flying home out of KUL is actually a couple of hundred dollars cheaper, as compared to flying back from Bali, times multiple tickets. Thus, its the cost savings that would help. And, adding it at the end seemed like a good way to wind up the trip.