Fodor's Travel Talk Forums

Fodor's Travel Talk Forums (https://www.fodors.com/community/)
-   Asia (https://www.fodors.com/community/asia/)
-   -   KUL to downtown (https://www.fodors.com/community/asia/kul-to-downtown-832558/)

filmwill Mar 24th, 2010 01:03 PM

KUL to downtown

Wondering what the best way from Kuala Lumpur airport to downtown (Traders Hotel) would be.

Seems like quite a bit of a trek and wondering, given the distance, if arranging transport through our hotel would be worth it.

If cabbing is simple (and hassle-free) enough then I'd rather save the cash and do that.

thursdaysd Mar 24th, 2010 01:28 PM

There's a fast train.

filmwill Mar 24th, 2010 02:10 PM

I did think about that, but doesn't the train take you to somewhere in the middle of the city though? ...and from there we'd have to navigate (suitcases and all) to our hotel?

rhkkmk Mar 24th, 2010 02:22 PM

which airport will you be at....the main airport or the low cost carrier airport...??

we took a pre-paid taxi---you pay at a kiosk inside the airport--that was the low cost airport--air asia...

mohan Mar 24th, 2010 02:30 PM

From the low cost airport LCCT, you can take the non-stop shuttle to KL Sentral. There are three different companies with counters in the airport where you can buy tickets and they run every 15-20 minutes.

mohan Mar 24th, 2010 02:37 PM

I mean shuttle bus.

thursdaysd Mar 24th, 2010 03:06 PM

You could always take a taxi from the train station to your hotel - it would be a lot cheaper than a taxi from the airport - it's a long trip.

filmwill Mar 24th, 2010 03:20 PM

we'll be at the LCCT arriving and departing from the regular terminal

rhkkmk Mar 24th, 2010 05:22 PM

the LCCT is a sparse place....don't laugh when you see it...
there is basically one area where all the cars/taxis come and go from...it's "L" shaped... it is just inside there that i bought my voucher....i then went to the middle island as directed and a man grabbed my bag and said you need a larger taxi and we were off...it all worked fine...i don't remember it as being an outrageous price and that way you get right to your hotel door no hastle...

not sure of your flight timing on leaving, but the pan pacific hotel, a very nice hotel, at the main airport is fantastic...air asia has special rates there as do some other airlines....its a great place to stay right next to the terminal.... good food and a fantastic pool area...

rhkkmk Mar 24th, 2010 05:23 PM

i want to say it took almost an hour to get into the city

Kathie Mar 24th, 2010 05:37 PM

Take the train. There is an Executive Express service which includes your train tickets and porters and a Mercedes waiting for you at the station to whisk you off to your hotel. The train takes about 2 minutes. After that service, I said I'd never take a taxi again to/from that airport! Bob's right, a taxi takes a good hour to get to the city.

filmwill Mar 24th, 2010 06:00 PM

Great suggestion, Kathie! Do you happen to remember (roughly) the cost?

Just looked online and it looks like the KLIA Express does hit the LCCT, but you have to take a shuttle bus to the closest station and, with that, it ends up being an hour all-in. So perhaps cab it to the hotel and take the train back to the regular terminal on our departure?

MichaelBKK Mar 24th, 2010 06:15 PM

A taxi for two costs less than the train, but I much prefer the train. The downtown terminal has a taxi queue, and from there it's usually no more than RM 15 to any hotel.

As you found, the train does not go to the LCCT. There is a shuttle bus but next time I'm there I think I will try to get a taxi to the main terminal. Faster and easier with luggage.

Kathie Mar 24th, 2010 06:38 PM

Here is the website: www.kliaekspres.com/erlsb/default.aspx

It shows the train service and the VIP service. The train is about US$10 per person, the limo about US $30 for the two of you. When we did it a few years back, I think it was about $35 all in for the two of us.