Fodor's Travel Talk Forums

Fodor's Travel Talk Forums (https://www.fodors.com/community/)
-   Asia (https://www.fodors.com/community/asia/)
-   -   kuala-lumpur and then????/need advice!! (https://www.fodors.com/community/asia/kuala-lumpur-and-then-need-advice-372854/)

jannik Oct 31st, 2003 12:10 AM

kuala-lumpur and then????/need advice!!

hi. going to stay 4 nights in KL, and after that i have 5 days to spend, but i dont know where, thinking about a beach not faraway from KL, since i must back to KL. any suggestions??? also need hotel info near the beach, no highclass...
CHEERS

JamesA Oct 31st, 2003 07:00 AM

It's about 50 minutes to Langkawi, you can find faitly cheap places to stay near Centai. If you fly Air asia you can use their Rm 10 bus between KL and the airport, big savingas train is Rm 36. Penang is not so much for beaches. Tioman and other East coast places are an option, or fly to Phuket in 1 hr 15. If you are flying from mid-December check out what Air Asia are offering.

kuranosuke Oct 31st, 2003 02:18 PM

au contraire. jamesa,:), penang has a few nice beaches. i recommend penang, i'm sure you could get a inexpensive room near the golden sands beach, or a city hotel for us$25. never been to langkawi, but it must be better than kl. singapore is great, but not too many nice beaches.

JamesA Oct 31st, 2003 10:27 PM

I stick by what I say! Penang has beaches at Batu Ferringhi ( where the Golden Sands is located, next to the Rasa Sayang ), aprt from that Tanjang Bungha Beach ( Crown price hotel etc ) is a very poor beach. These beaches no one would claim compare close to the large number of beaches and sands on Langkawi which are excellent and the beach areas around the Penangi resort and Holiday Village compare well with beaches in Southern Thailand.
As for Singapore, the beach on Sentosa Island is nice but no one considors it a 'tropical beach area'.
I know Penang and Langkawi very well indeed and stand firm that penang Beaches are not on a par with Langkawi, though Penang of course is better for shopping and more for those seeking a livlier Island than just beaches. Tioman and the perentian Islands other good choices.

Kathie Nov 1st, 2003 08:35 AM

I like Kuantan, maybe a 30 minute flight from KL. It's quiet and laid back. I've stayed there a number of times and have always enjoyed it. It's quietest during the week, as families from KL come for the weekend. There are accommodations in a number of price ranges.

kuranosuke Nov 5th, 2003 01:29 PM

jamesa: i was not comparing the beaches in penang to langkawi. in fact, i said i had never been to langkawi. all i said was penang has a few nice beaches. hopefully one day, i can go to langkawi and visit their beautiful beaches.

JamesA Nov 5th, 2003 06:35 PM

I am sure neither one of us intended any offense. I agree that penang is heavily promoted over Langkawi and overall has much more to see and do, I know the Rasa Sayang so well and it is a very nice place. I was very unhappy though when I landed up at the crown price hotel at Tanjang Bungha(sp?). Langawi is very much beaches and little else, large number of small islands but very very quiet.

To OP: Air Asia ( budget airline )are about to launch KL to Phuket flights from $30 one way from December.