Fodor's Travel Talk Forums

Fodor's Travel Talk Forums (https://www.fodors.com/community/)
-   Asia (https://www.fodors.com/community/asia/)
-   -   kuala lumpur (https://www.fodors.com/community/asia/kuala-lumpur-87782/)

tamara Zacks Sep 26th, 2000 09:33 AM

kuala lumpur

intrested to know if this city is worth traveling to. any interesting adventurerous things to do?

kbrus Sep 30th, 2000 05:00 AM

We thought it was worth spending a few days there.The Petronas Towers and mall <BR>are very interesting. I hear that the bridge connecting the two buildings is now open to the public, as well. <BR>There is a great view of the city from <BR>the telecommunications tower. There are a lot of places to shop, several parks, <BR>and nice hotels.

ret Oct 1st, 2000 09:52 AM

Tamara <BR> <BR>Yes, get to KL if you can. It is our favourite SouthEast Asian city. Fully of atnosphere, culture, historical sites. It doesn't have the sanitisation that Singapore does or the cosmopolitan feel of Hong Kong, but this only adds to its mystical charm. <BR> <BR>I felt very safe walking around and the people must be the most hospitable and friendliest in the world. <BR> <BR>There are several interesting shopping malls and a great market in China Town. You could easily spend 3 days and still want to go back for more. <BR> <BR>The city is heavily polluted - when we were last there 2 years ago, they were still running the old pink buses. It really is a great experience. Stay in the Golden Triangle area. We have stayed at Holiday Inn on the Park and Pan Pacific, both great hotels, the Pan Pacific being a notch up on the Hol Inn. <BR> <BR>Also, the food is spectacular. <BR> <BR>Generally, my opinion is, that if you want a real taste/feel of SouthEast Asia, then without question go to KL. So many people just do HK and Singapore and miss out of a wealth of culture.

Raymond Oct 3rd, 2000 07:23 AM

A great potpourri of 3 cultures: Malay, Chinese, and Indian! Not to mention the <BR>ever-presence of the West. Huge varieties of food too. Tourist interests <BR>range from the modern shopping malls to <BR>rural lives. <BR>KL city transportation is much improved <BR>with the new light rail transport, and <BR>a intra-city air-con coach.

Christina Oct 6th, 2000 04:55 AM

KL is interesting. Worth 2 days visit. If you are there, don't forget to experience the "Bintang Walk" during night time. It's along Jalan Sultan Ahmad Shah with open-air concept for lots of cafes. Sometimes you can get good musicians playing in the area. If you want to go shopping, try out Mid Valley Megamall (that's the latest and biggest mall in the country). If you are planning to visit KL, you might as well visit Penang (just 45 min by plane). Lovely place with historical surroudings. <BR> <BR>Regards.

marc Oct 6th, 2000 05:21 AM

I like KL, but would prefer to visit Singapoore if I had the choice. <BR>If you have some moore days to spent in Malaysia take a domestic flight to Kuala terengganu or Khota Bharu and visit one of the islands ( great snorkling, diving nice beaches -flight is very cheap)

tykang Oct 8th, 2000 06:56 PM

Personally, I prefer Kuala Lumpur(KL) to Singapore as KL has a much more preserved "cultural character". S'pore looks a bit like a Hollywood set. Petaling Steet/Chinatown, the Central Market, the Batu Caves, the Masjid India area are great places to visit and browse to feel the blend of 3 great cultures Malay, Chinese and Indian in Kuala Lumpur. <BR> <BR>You may want to check out http://www.Malaysiastall.com which has a pretty nice virtual tour and panoramic views of Malaysia to have a feel before visiting. <BR> <BR>Penang Island and Melaka are also great places for visits. <BR> <BR>regards, <BR> <BR>tykang <BR>California, USA <BR> <BR>

Perry Dec 14th, 2000 08:05 AM

Anyone do business travel to KL? If not, please let me know your thoughts on travel to KL. What are the good sites to see there (like on a weekend)? <BR>Thanks, Perry <BR>PS I plan to go there in Jan 2001.

Amy Dec 14th, 2000 06:54 PM

Yes, I travel there for business fairly often. There are some good business hotels and it is generally an easy and efficient place to do work. Its a good place to wander. If you have a full weekend off, then I'd suggested getting out of the city. Tioman Island is a short flight away. Or head to Malacca. Let me know if you need any hotel advice.

zaps Mar 18th, 2001 01:09 AM

Unfortunately, we do not share this positive view of KL. We have just visited for the weekend on our way from Bangkok to Singapore (for the Grand Prix)and found it very dissapointing. We have asked our hotel concierge and information desks for assistance with tourist and cultural activities, and all they will show us is where the shopping malls are! We have also suffered the usual over-charging of Westerners for goods and services, and found the people not nearly as nice and helpful as those in Bangkok. I would definately choose Bangkok for a visit again as it excells in culture, shopping, and friendly people, but I am afraid I will not be returning to KL.