Fodor's Travel Talk Forums

Fodor's Travel Talk Forums (https://www.fodors.com/community/)
-   Asia (https://www.fodors.com/community/asia/)
-   -   kuala Lumpur (https://www.fodors.com/community/asia/kuala-lumpur-257975/)

joan Sep 14th, 2002 05:31 PM

kuala Lumpur

We will be in Kuala Lumpur for 2 nights, what should we see? Eat? Buy? How to dress.<BR>What is the US dollar worth and what is the money called? Are there beaches near enough to visit or should we stick to the city?<BR> Thanks,<BR> Joan

rad Sep 15th, 2002 07:49 PM

we just got back from KL and the far east. KL is great, friendly people. if youre only staying 2 nights stay away from the beach. take the 1/2 day city tour with a good company no the taxi driver. spend an hour at the orchid garden, butterfly park and walk along the street in front of the mariott. lots of street vendors on the weekends. if you want to see the local scene go to the central market. the airport is beautiful. the us dollar is 3.8 ringitt a good deal. their money is malaysian ringitts and cents. <BR>great place for indonesian, thai and chinese food also indian.have a great time, we loved it. we also did hong kong, bali and singapore.

Claire Sep 16th, 2002 02:13 PM

I was there on business in April. Such friendly people! Enjoyed conversations with taxi drivers, asking about culture and customs.<BR><BR>Airport is best I've been in anywhere!<BR><BR>Chinese food is excellent.<BR><BR>You may be able to arrange, as I did, a "private tour" with a taxi driver. there were 3 of us; ended up paying less than organized tour, but had more fun and more explanation of the city/country. Be sure to see the pewter factory - great buys! - and the Batik factory - more great buys - and so interesting to see how items are made.

Jen Sep 17th, 2002 11:16 PM

There are no decent beaches within a day's trip distance of KL, so stick to the city and make sure your hotel has a pool - you will LOVE a swim at the end of the day!<BR><BR>Batu Caves are really the only exceptional thing to see in KL, IMO, so don't miss them. Pewter factories are cool - try the Tumasek one in Kepong. I like their stuff better than Selangor Pewter. Central Market for buying handicraft type stuff. Petaling Street Nightmarket is fun. KL Tower on a clear day (NOT petronas twin towers).<BR><BR>Sorry, I've answered this question so many times I've petered out on giving good advice on what to see! If you use the search you will find LOTS of posts just like yours with lots of good responses.<BR><BR>Food in KL could take a whole book (a few of them, in fact). Malay food doesn't excite me, but Chinese food and Indian food are both terrific. Just don't eat in your hotel, because it'll cost a bomb and won't be nearly as good as the $1 meal down the street.<BR><BR>Malaysian "ringgit and sen" - translates directly into "dollars and cents" so there's no need to remember that!<BR><BR>Dress however you want. I tend to prefer going slightly more modest than if I were in that heat back home, since half the women here are covered from head to toe and I feel naked in a tank top. But the Chinese, tourists and expats all wear whatever the heck they want, so anything goes. <BR><BR>Jen

fod Sep 18th, 2002 05:35 AM

i have to go with Jen and the batu caves , it is a must see FOR SURE!<BR><BR>an absolute must see<BR><BR>also the bird garden, butterfly park and orchid garden are all right next to one another, very hot and humid so might be best to get out there early one morning figure 3 hours for all 3 (small places)<BR><BR>go to the top of the tower at sunset for great views of the city and petronas<BR><BR>----you do know that you cannot go to the top of the Petronas- the bridge connecting is as high as you can go<BR><BR>also tickets for the whole day are given out first thing in the morning so if you want to go there get there early<BR><BR>that why i say the tower<BR><BR>the parlimant and government building are amazing to look at at night with all the lights<BR><BR>one last point- my opinion, you shouldn't have to come to this web sight and ask what the currency is called and what the exchange rate is.....don't you do any research of you own??????<BR><BR>have a safe trip