Fodor's Travel Talk Forums

Fodor's Travel Talk Forums (https://www.fodors.com/community/)
-   Asia (https://www.fodors.com/community/asia/)
-   -   Kowloon or Hong Kong? (https://www.fodors.com/community/asia/kowloon-or-hong-kong-486989/)

Danak Nov 20th, 2004 10:31 AM

Kowloon or Hong Kong?

We are going to be in Hong Kong from March 26-30 and was wonddering if it was better to stay in Honk Kong proper of Kowloon - can anyone tell me the dis/advantages.
thanks!

rcw818 Nov 20th, 2004 02:19 PM

I just returned from my 2nd visit in 2yrs to HK. Would not consider staying in Kowloon, even at the Penisula.

We LOVED the JW Marriott in HK ($365/night bring your AAA card!) It is quite expensive in HK but beautiful.

Peteralan Nov 20th, 2004 08:14 PM

Don't understand the above comment but there must be good reasons. This question has been asked several times before. I can only say that my preference would be Kowloon side and I think it is where a large proportion of visitors stay. There are things of interest on both sides and which ever side uou settle on you will be travelling from side to side on the Star Ferry frequently. Have fun in that fabulous city!

claret Nov 20th, 2004 10:22 PM

I am heading over to Hong Kong in two weeks for my third trip to this great city. I would only stay in Kowloon. If you are going for shopping, this is the place to be. The major hotels are all of a very high standard. Hong Kong Island is only a short star ferry trip away and you will definitely go there to see the Stanley Markets, the antique shops, temples, The Peak etc. I personally feel that the serious shopping happens over at Kowloon. You can also access Zhenzen (spelling probably wrong sorry) - a special economic region of China from Kowloon.I could be wrong but I always associate the 'business' end of things to Hong Kong island and the 'fun' side as Kowloon.

Might I suggest afternoon tea at the Peninsula Hotel - a great experience,with a stringed quartet, waiters in tails, lovely food.

March is a great time to experience Honkers as the temperature is perfect.

pat_woolford Nov 20th, 2004 11:22 PM

I used to live in Hong Kong on the island side and had a stunning view over harbour and Kowloon. Earlier this year decided to stay in Kowloon to experience the opposite view and glad I did - if anything, view of island was more spectacular, especially at night.

kilofoxtrot Nov 21st, 2004 08:13 PM

Hong Kong is so compact and convenient it doesn't matter much which side of the harbour you live.
Make sure you are near MTR station, or if you want harbour views
I think it will be better for you to narrow down the hotels,, then ask which of them are better choices. e.g. JW Marriot, vs Hyatt, vs Regent and Peninsula, etc

randig Nov 24th, 2004 08:12 PM

just got back from Hong Kong and stayed at the intercontinental on kowloon. The view was spectacular. They have a light/laser show every evening at 8:00pm from the buildings on HK island, you can watch from the walk of stars on the kowloon side The ferry is very accessible and so was the shopping. I think either side works, it's not that large a place.
While we were there the train just started running that takes you to Shenzen, it's a 45 minute ride. Shopping for me will never be the same!

rkkwan Nov 25th, 2004 05:41 AM

The KCR train has always run to the border across from Shenzhen. No change there.

What's new is the Tsimshatsui East extension of the line. So, now, one can catch the train from TST, without having to go to Hunghom, or have to take the MTR to Kowloon Tong and transfer there.

Actually, the KCR train used to terminate at the Tsimshatsui Star Ferry. The clock tower you see next to the Cultural Center is part of the railway terminal. The main building was torn down in the mid-70's and the tracks removed.

stephenking Nov 25th, 2004 05:46 PM

JW Marriott was undergoing some renovation back in September and not sure if it is completed yet. Better call and check first.

The Conrad at the Pacific Place at Admiralty is great and it is on top of a huge but classy shopping mall.

Rooms at the Penisular might be a bit small in the US standard but certainly huge in the Japanese standard.

March would be a great time to visit but if schedule permits, you might actually want to come (yes, I live in Hong Kong) earlier, around Chinese New Year time (Feb 9th in 2005). We have spectacular Night Flower Market 5 nights prior to the actual new year's day and also fireworks on the 2nd day of the New Year (feb 10th). You can also take the train to Shenzheng for a different taste of Chinese New Year in the mainland (make sure you have your VISA first, you do not need one going to Hong Kong but you certainly need to apply for one for going to the mainland).

If you have more time, take an hour ferry ride to Macau and experience the Portugese culture in the East. Macau is really promoting their tourism industry now and it's worth a day trip there.

Have fun.

Xenos Nov 27th, 2004 01:28 AM

We're going for our 4th trip to Hong Kong at the end of December and will be staying in Kowloon. On our first 2 trips we stayed on the Island and thought it was wonderful, but last time we stayed at the Kowloon Shangri-La and thought the harbour views from our room were amazing, so we're going back there this time.

Apart from the views though, as others have said, it really doesn't matter which side you stay. Both have lots to offer and transport connections are so good that it takes no time at all to get from one to the other.

PS regarding the Shenzen train - presumably you need a visa to visit??

=:)