Fodor's Travel Talk Forums

Fodor's Travel Talk Forums (https://www.fodors.com/community/)
-   Asia (https://www.fodors.com/community/asia/)
-   -   Kowloon Hotel (https://www.fodors.com/community/asia/kowloon-hotel-497400/)

travellinbug Jan 22nd, 2005 07:13 AM

Kowloon Hotel

Arriving Hong Kong Feb. 21, would appreciate a recommendation for a moderately priced hotel in Kowloon. Appears Park hotel is under construction. Anyone stay at The Kowloon Hotel?

rkkwan Jan 22nd, 2005 07:37 AM

The Kowloon hotel is infamous for its small rooms. My cousins just stayed there and they confirmed that fact, which has been reported here many times.

Other hotels in the Tsimshatsui areas for about the same include the YMCA Salisbury and the New World Renaissance. Or further up Nathan Road in the Jordan district are the Eaton and Majestic. All about US$80-100 a room/night, or slightly less.

travellinbug Jan 22nd, 2005 09:17 AM

Thank you for the information.

Which hotel do you recommend in Kowloon?

TracyB Jan 22nd, 2005 01:39 PM

I just stayed at the YMCA Salisbury in Kowloon in November and I highly recommend it..Get a harbour view room if you can. It is awesome and a great location. I don't even have 1 complaint and would stay there again if we go back to HKG.

Peteralan Jan 22nd, 2005 06:00 PM

Is the Park constuction still going on? We were booked in there in August of 2003 and they told us they were renovating then! We changed to the Mirimar on Nathan Road and were pleased with it so you might give that a try perhaps? While we were there we checked on the Park and it seemed like business as usual although they were renovating the ground floor. Enjoy my favourite city!

rhkkmk Jan 22nd, 2005 06:17 PM

i ahve stayed at the kowloon hotel and liked it very much except for the small room size...the location is perfect...it is a very plain hotel so don't expect much....i have recently read that the peninsula hotel group has sold it to someone else...its located directly behind the peninsula hotel...
i would stay there again...

rkkwan Jan 22nd, 2005 06:22 PM

Since you can book Park Hotel on asiahotels.com, it's apparently open. From a picture I took 3 weeks ago of Chatham Road from near the Museum of History, it looks like part if not most of the Park Hotel building is still underneath scaffolding.

Don't know anything more about the renovations, but the Park is a really old hotel in Kowloon. Definitely needs updating. It's old even when I was a kid 30 years ago, and it's the bad type of old, unlike the Peninsula.

rkkwan Jan 22nd, 2005 06:23 PM

The Kowloon has been sold to Li Ka-Shing's Harbour Plaza Hotel group. The deal is supposed to close in February, and the operation will also transfer to Harbour Plaza.

Lyndie Jan 22nd, 2005 06:30 PM

Check out www.wotif.com.au for standby deals. Also, if you are familiar with bidding for hotel rooms you could try www.priceline.com.hk. They have the Park Hotel available for a 5 night stay from Feb 21 for 2940HKD under their "choose your own hotel" area. Check it out. Good luck.

Spygirl Jan 22nd, 2005 09:48 PM

If anyone is thinking that the YMCA Salisbury is such a good travel bargain, think again. Their rates for all rooms went up January 1st, the full harbour view room is now US149 plus 10 percent serv. ch. on their website-you could get it for maybe US125 on a discount hotel site-and this for a small room with banged up baseboards, no pictures on the wall and carpet that definitely needs to be changed. There are better values. For example, you can walk up Nathan Rd. 5 minutes away to the Holiday Inn Golden Mile, which is a great place to stay-room rates vary, but start around US125 or so. Well-appointed rooms, 4 restaurants, a very good Chinese restaurant on the lower level of the arcade- Loong Yuen, with a waterfall and excellent dim sum, even a vegetarian tasting menu-the glittery shopping world of Nathan and Mody Roads are right outside, as well as the MTR, and the waterfront and Star Ferry are a few minutes walk.

gard Jan 23rd, 2005 12:41 AM

Hi

My wife and I stayed at Kowloon Hotel. The rooms were small but it was very nice. I have posted a trip report with pictures from the trip on my homepage http://gardkarlsen.com. Inside the trip report there is also a "review" of the hotel.

Regards
Gard
Stavanger, Norway

Peteralan Jan 23rd, 2005 05:50 PM

I've stayed at Park before and found it quite good and was a little surprised to see it referred to as "the bad type of old". Sure it is not the Pen but it is IMO perfectly acceptable and handy (although it does seem to be taking a looooong time to renovate!) I also second the Holiday Inn ( Nathan Road ) recommendation...very good spot and not too expensive.