Fodor's Travel Talk Forums

Fodor's Travel Talk Forums (https://www.fodors.com/community/)
-   Asia (https://www.fodors.com/community/asia/)
-   -   Koh Sumui or Hua Hin? (https://www.fodors.com/community/asia/koh-sumui-or-hua-hin-545466/)

patsey73 Jul 20th, 2005 12:18 AM

Koh Sumui or Hua Hin?

Really can't decide between the above for our 6 nights chill out. Going in October and I gather a little less rain in Hua Hin? Has anyone been to both destinations and if so which did they prefer and why?

rhkkmk Jul 20th, 2005 10:06 AM

i have been to both...they are very different...HH is sort of an older town, well established....most of the major hotels are along the beach and the guesthouses are in town and spread about...

koh samui is an island and different becasue of this of course....i prefer samui really...

it is a much bigger place than HH...most of the hotels are along the long shore line all around the island...there seems to be more to do in samui than in HH... samui is more geared to tourists and is much newer///

i like them both...pick your location carefully in samui....some are quite remote like laem set inn and the meredien hotels...beautiful but remote...i personally liked the bophut beach area...

patsey73 Jul 20th, 2005 10:40 AM

Thanks for your reply. If Ko Sumui we are looking at Baan Bophut hotel for 3 nights and 4 nights Sala Sumui. Have you stayed at either?

johnbey Jul 20th, 2005 10:45 AM

I agree. Hua Hin is older, perhaps more sedate, in parts; the preferred resort of BKK Thai's and until recently, the royal family. The weather in both is about the same. Average rainfall jumps from 150mm in September to 250mm in October (&435mm in November), but during October in Samui I've never been inconvenienced for more that a couple of hours. I too prefer Bophut above all other Samui locations.

rhkkmk Jul 20th, 2005 08:37 PM

i have not stayed at either....have only stayed at peace resort at bophut...did visit a couple of others however..

watakeet Jul 21st, 2005 05:42 AM

much agree that koh samui is better than huahin... much better.

haven't stayed in the hotels mentioned. if you prefer to stay near chaweng, i suggest muang kulaypan - a special and cozy hotel on the fringe of chaweng, so not too noisy and packed yet within easy walking distance to the hub.

SJLBK Jul 21st, 2005 06:10 AM

If you go and stay at the Sala Samui, please, please, please post back to this board about your stay!

I am seriously looking at Sala for my honeymoon next summer, and the little bit of info out there about it seems great. However, the place is so new that there is just not that much info on it. For the price, it seems like one of the best luxury deals on Samui.

patsey73 Jul 21st, 2005 09:05 AM

I will be happy to post back, we are now looking to fly out on 13th October but only planning on staying at the Salu for 4 nights. It is reasonable and the thought of our own pool sounds fantastic.

The reviews I have read (trip advisor etc.,) have all been very good but still early days.