Koh Samui or Patong?

Aug 3rd, 2001, 04:33 AM
sue & colin

Koh Samui or Patong?

would appreciate any info on Koh Samui, have heard it is getting much like Patong as in westernized, is the nightlife the same as Patong but on a smaller scale? How do the prices of food compare? We cannot decide to try Koh Samui next or Krabi as we have heard it is very nice there. we are going to Phuket in September as we were too chicken to try somewhere new as we just love Phuket.

Aug 3rd, 2001, 02:50 PM
Sheila Norris

The nightlife on Samui, especially at Chaeweng beach is lively but not anywhere to the extent of Patong. Samui is well worth considoring. We used to visit Phuekt twice a year but ventured to other places and were glad we did. Samui is certainly developed but we found it more of a tropical island style and atmosphere than Phuket, we enjoy an evening out in Samui where although nightlife is 'lively' it has not become like Patong has.

Aug 4th, 2001, 05:55 AM
bruno

Hello Sue and Collin

I agree with Sheila. If you like to have it without nightlife, then try the
MAENAM BEACH on Samui Island. Or go to Khao Lak (just an hours drive from Phuket), where we did not see any girlie-bars and things like that in March of this year.
have nice holidays
Bruno

Aug 4th, 2001, 09:22 AM
patricia

Good fun nightlife is one thing, but Patong beach now has so many girly gogos and things it has changed so much and we did not like it one bit. We have decided on Samui for our trip in November.

Aug 6th, 2001, 01:29 AM
Rob

Sue and Colin,

If it is night life you're looking for than Sumui might be okay, we don't know, BUT if night life isn't what you're looking for than don't bother with Ko Sumui - we found it way too touristy and liked Ko Tao MUCH better- nicer people - less hassling!

Aug 6th, 2001, 05:52 PM
harzer

Hi!

I'm Australian too and gave up on Patong 15 years ago, in favour of Karon or Kata beaches a few km down south of Patong.
But I discovered Krabi five years ago, and reckon that is the best of the lot. No 'girls' and everything that goes with them here at all, it's strictly BYOG. This makes for a much more pleasant holiday atmosphere. Not much nightlife at all for that matter.
I haven't been to Koh Samui, but it is definitely a young people's scene there, as I understand it.
Cheers
Harzer

Aug 7th, 2001, 11:06 AM
Margaret

I used to love Phuket, visited couple of times every year over a 10 year period, swore a year back would never go gain (!), but went with some people from BKK about 6 months back and it was 'worse'. Many say it's just Patong but the costs almost everywhere are just way higher than anywhere else, it seems everyone is trying to get as much from you as possible, and not nearly as many 'smiles' as you find elsewhere. For me it has lost the charm it once had, sadly. The good news is that I have now visited so many other beaches in Thailand and found great places, I wish I'd tried them earlier. You can find lovely people, beautiful and cheap towns and beach areas all over Thailand. I'd try Samui for a change.

Aug 7th, 2001, 01:14 PM
Meg

Margaret - at least you have memories of when it was a paradise. We visited 3 years ago and were not impressed at all. We never even made it to Patong. We stayed in Kharon Beach, I think. Anyway - what prompted me to write were your comments about the costs. We found everything so expensive compared to Bangkok. One of our best memories of Phuket is passing a store called "Pay All That You Can" and decided that should be Phuket's motto. We also found the Phuket residents far less friendly that people in any other area of Thailand.