Fodor's Travel Talk Forums

Fodor's Travel Talk Forums (https://www.fodors.com/community/)
-   Asia (https://www.fodors.com/community/asia/)
-   -   Koh Samui or Krabi? (https://www.fodors.com/community/asia/koh-samui-or-krabi-426446/)

neworleanslaura Apr 28th, 2004 11:56 AM

Koh Samui or Krabi?

We are looking for beautiful beach time in thailand in october. (Its our honeymoon.) Should we stay at the Rayavadee or someplace in Koh Samui? Our goal is to find a beautiful beach for some quiet R&R and pampering. I would love your input. Thanks!

CathyY Apr 28th, 2004 12:27 PM

Hi
I haven't stayed at the Rayavadee but have visited the beaches that it looks on to, they are public and pretty busy both with people and long tail boats bringing people to / from the beaches. I would consider Le Meridien on Koh Samui. Its secluded so very peaceful. My friend has just returned from getting married there and said that they were completely pampered by the staff who couldn't do enough to make their stay memorable. Her photos are gorgeous!
Cathy

Elainee Apr 29th, 2004 05:40 AM

Stayed at Rayavadee. While the beaches are public, we were there height of season (Christmas) they really were not that busy. Plus, Rayavadee has lounge chairs in private area (separated from beach by low wall). It certainly is beautiful and well up on pampering. If you stay there get a package with breakfast and dinner included. It will save money. Walk to small restaurants along beach for lunch. Rayavadee is very different from major hotel chains. We love the Meridien in Phuket, but totlly different experience. Have not stayed at Meridien in KS, stayed there at Boathouse (not recommended) but Krabi and KS quite different. I thought beach at Rayavadee most beautiful I have seen.

brotherleelove2004 Apr 29th, 2004 05:55 AM

Although there's no definitive way to predict the weather in Southeast Asia so far in advance let alone anytime, in general October is towards the end of the Monsoon season in the Krabi area of Thailand. Consequently you could find yourself being forced indoors for all or part of your vacation. If there happened to be a storm just before your arrival this would mean that the water would have lost visibility and the beaches could be cluttered with trash from the sea.

No matter which island you choose you can expect some daily rain, but overall Samui is a much "safer" bet for your honeymoon. If you still choose Krabi, consider staying out on Koh Lanta at the Pimalai. It's an exquisite location for a quiet, pampered honeymoon.

JamesA Apr 29th, 2004 08:02 PM

October I always say is a difficult month to predict weather, it is when the Monsoon Summer rains that hit Phuket and Krabi area are still going but tending to die down and the weather from the China Sea (as Far East starts winter) begin to effect Samui.

The stats for October are Phuket/Krabi 12 inches of rain, Koh Samui 10.2, so you can see it is close. You honestly would be better delaying until late November if you can, othwerwise I would go for Samui.
Another point is that Ao nang which is the main area of Krabi does not have a good beach and to get to really picture-postcard beaches you need to go by boat, that is 'no fun' in bad weather at all! Whereas on Samui it is very easy to find a beachfront hotel/resort so should the rain start to come in you are right on the door-step of your resort and your room, also when the weather isn't good you have far more things to 'do' on Samui than krabi.